Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best entry-level cycling smart watch?

Hi

Thinking of getting one of those smart watched by Garmin etc. that logs rides & data.

Can anyone recommend a good one for a first-time buyer/user? I currently use Strava on my phone but am looking to get a watch version, unless you think it won't do anything the app can't do really and it's a waste of money (my initial thoughts...)?

Cheers,

Ben

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't worry too much about a strap. In my experience, as long as it is tightened correctly you should soon forget it is there. The cloth straps are more comfortable than the plastic ones, but I don't find there's much in it once you have started your workout.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you do get a HR strap then please do not get the Garmin premium strap it is shocking. Get the older one and after a short while you get use to it being slightly bulkier.

You could get a HR strap and say a fitness strap with Ant+ but really it is worth investing in a strap and a very good watch. However I am guessing you are not using it for biking alone ?

Because if it is just biking spending a bit extra on a bike computer (I have the Garmin 810) is actually a far better VFM.

Ben_Gills | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thank for all the input and that DC Rainmaker site is great!

Not sure about the chest strap as surely the watch should be able to measure your heart rate through your pulse on your wrist?

Will look into all recommendations more!

Man of Lard replied to Ben_Gills | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ben_Gills wrote:

Thank for all the input and that DC Rainmaker site is great!

Not sure about the chest strap as surely the watch should be able to measure your heart rate through your pulse on your wrist?

Will look into all recommendations more!

Chest straps use the electric field of your heart to measure the heart rate. Same idea as an ECG

Wrist pulse readers use an optical system - they're a lot less reliable in the detection (the tech is much newer) and very susceptible to the way they're mounted.

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

Don't buy a Garmin Forerunner 405, or one of the similar newer models as the arms that hold the strap on break off after about 6 months. Luckily epoxy putt saved the day.

Man of Lard | 9 years ago
0 likes

Decathlon do a bar mount for watches that is less than a fiver...

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd second the garmin forerunners if your budget goes that far, the 10 as mentioned, or even a 310xt (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Multisport-Monitor/dp/B0...). Bear in mind for the bike, if you want to see your display as you ride, you'd be best served by a bar mount for the watch, which will add a few quid to the price.

I'd head over to http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ if you haven't already, any device worth using he'll have tested. His reviews are comprehensive, but worth the read.

Beatnik69 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My wife and I have one of these each http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-NavRun-Heart-Computer-Chest/dp/B003XI... Not the flashiest but does the job. Files can be exported and imported into Strava.

antonio replied to Beatnik69 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I have a navrun and it does all I want, ie, download my rides on a couple of road circuits. The watch is very reliable and logs via google etc but having just enrolled to Strava there is no mention of being able to download from the navrun. My simple question is, how do I do it? Cheers.

andym999 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 and while I haven't used it for cycling yet, I've used it lots for running and it works great and syncs with Strava fine. The main advantages over having a specific watch is saving the battery on your phone, and being able to look at your wrist rather than stop and get your phone out your pocket. The Garmin Connect site is nice enough but doesn't do anything Strava doesn't as far as I can see. Whether that's worth spending £100-ish on is up to you

Latest Comments