Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Eurosport

I just checked to see if I can watch my little losers be hopeless on the Tour of Saint Louis but Eurosport's first scheduled bike race is the Strada Bianchi. Eurosport call themselves the home of cycling but they didn't even get the TDU. OK, they'll never get first dibs on the TDU as long as a R. Murdoch is alive but the other early races must be dirt cheap even if they are covered by one bloke on a moped with an iPhone. How many hours of knobs doing ski-jumping, or even worse - Nordic-trudging on the flat - have Eurosport paid for? Why must we Britons be cursed with the most sporadic coverage of a global sport in which Britons have a huge influence? Why do I have to scour the web to see Dutch coverage of the first half of the season? Last year I even learned Dutch from Michel Thomas CDs just so I could understand who had crashed on what corner.

Doesn't the first B in BBC stand for British? Shouldn't the "British" TV company that I am forced by law to pay for be showing me how well our British cyclists are doing, as opposed to how a bunch of American, Swiss, and I-don't-care-who-the-fuck-else tennis players are managing to break a mild sweat on tennis courts around the world while managing to maintain the same cast of characters without ever resorting to EPO?

To sum up, what the fuck is wrong with this country?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

For the variety they show you cant knock Eurosport in their efforts. I think its a great channel for sports enthusiasts.

Iamnot Wiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

The website cyclingfans is your answer - they seem to stream pretty much everything. Not always in English admittedly, but you can always watch in silence, you don't need commentary to read a race!

mtm_01 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Still plenty enough on there for me!

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

Doesn't the first B in BBC stand for British? Shouldn't the "British" TV company that I am forced by law to pay for be showing me how well our British cyclists are doing, as opposed to how a bunch of American, Swiss, and I-don't-care-who-the-fuck-else tennis players are managing to break a mild sweat on tennis courts around the world while managing to maintain the same cast of characters without ever resorting to EPO?

To sum up, what the fuck is wrong with this country?

Dunno - perhaps it's over-filled with foul mouthed, narrow minded pseudo-Nationalists with an over-inflated opinion of their own particular favourite sport, who believe the world owes them a favour and should pander to their every whim. Perhaps.

Would be nice to have more cycling of course....

archieboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/el-diario-de-la-rep%C3%BAblica

livestrong, here you go, womens San Luis every evening. Only problems are excitable commentators and no indication of kms done or to do, at least its racing though.
Its nice that Hannah Barnes is leading the young rider comp though.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is there not enough there for everyone ?

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think to be fair to Eurosport, they can't cover EVERY race, because Sky take some, some the host broadcaster doesn't provide to outside sources.

As for them showing all the winter sports events, skiing, biathlon, ski jumping...etc. It is quite a short season for that, in the off season of cycling and there are fans of winter sports out there. So it is only fair they get their share.

If Eurosport only showed cycling, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't last to long. They show motorsport, tennis and other things, which keeps the variety and keeps their advertisers happy.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Eurosport's Live coverage starts in Feb with Dubai and Del Sol. Highlights of other races too.

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hear you loud and clear. Welcome to the start of the cycling season. There will be coverage of some races in February but what they will be is a huge guess!!??
Even finding Internet feeds isn't the easiest of tasks. My regular sports site Wizwig has shut itself down to prevent prosecution.

Latest Comments