Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boycott Creme Eggs

Argh, the legendary double post. So I will have to edit and open discussion on another burning hot topic; Cadbury's Creme Eggs. Cadburys now owned by Kraft have changed the chocolate form Dairy Milk to another cheaper chocolate. It is subtle different by inferior, I know I taste tested it against a Twirl. Now Kraftburys say that they have never advertised the CE as the Dairy Milk Creme Egg; true, but Dairy Milk is Cadburys chocolate, the public don't make a distinction and expect Dairy Milk. What is next? It doesn't say Dairy Milk on Twirl or a Flake (twirls are just man-flakes) or a Crunchy. Not only do we have to tolerate shrinking bar sizes we now have to stomach this! No I say! Boycott Creme Eggs and send a message to Kraftburys.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

56 comments

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

Serious point though - most chocolate is greasy crap. I'm a choco-elitist (though I can be swayed by a Fry's Turkish Delight, or the utter filthiness of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup).

jedocherty | 9 years ago
0 likes

"(twirls are just man-flakes!" made me laugh.

But the creme egg now comes in a 5 (rather than 6) pack after some sort of group meeting. What's that all about?

simon.thornton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I blame it on Tesco.

LinusLarrabee | 9 years ago
0 likes

All of the large confectionary companies have been buying cocoa harvested by child slaves in Africa. That alone should be a good enough reason to boycott creme eggs.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Creme Eggs down from £2 to £1.60 for 5 in Tesco. We are winning, keep it up, don't give in to temptation #SaveOurCremeEgg

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

6 to 5 is a very sensible decision. It is perfectly possible to eat 10 in one sitting. Whereas 12 would kill you.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not 100% sure on the change to consumer, and not at liberty to say the overall packaging change as that not my field (I only deal with the engineering perspective), but on a one for one basis you're correct. Extrapolate that to the millions of eggs and boxes we make a year and there is a change.
But the pack size change from 6 to 5 gave a reduction in size nearly the same as reducing to 4. Reducing the pack size meant we could get more in a box, that was a better size to use a higher % of total pallet space, meaning there are actually more eggs/pallet than before. Volume hasn't gone up ( we make nearly 7 million a week) so the total number of lorries transporting is less.
I couldn't quote more accurate figures, as the work I did was ages ago.

glynr36 replied to LinusLarrabee | 9 years ago
0 likes
LinusLarrabee wrote:

All of the large confectionary companies have been buying cocoa harvested by child slaves in Africa. That alone should be a good enough reason to boycott creme eggs.

Only that's not true in the slightest.

There is so much mis-information and bollocks in this thread I don't even know where to start correcting it all.
But for one 6 to 5 eggs is around transportation and costs and environmental impact of a reduction of lorries to transport the same number of eggs over a period.

And tell me how does a boycott help Mondelez/Cadbury employees? You're only going to hit them if sales drop, not that people at the top.

Kapelmuur replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36][quote=LinusLarrabee wrote:

But for one 6 to 5 eggs is around transportation and costs and environmental impact of a reduction of lorries to transport the same number of eggs over a period.

So (presumably) the same quantity of eggs are transported but the customer gets one fewer per pack, how does this help the environment?

Plus the amount of packaging will increase as each discrete pack is smaller.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maltester bunnies! And I can't have any this year as on very strict calorie control until May. Mmm might get one and put it away until at race weight. As for cream eggs I prefer the Galaxy eggs but feel cheapening the type of choc is another great con from the already broken food industry which markets some pretty deadly foods and aim them indirectly at children, probably have shares in diabetic drug or private health care to spread the potential profit of poisoning people with processed crap! Yes I buy it and that's the clever bit in marketing food with such high sugar content its psychologicaly addictive

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Like water in coffee, i've often felt that milk in chocolate should be included minimally if done at all.

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jesus, we have Lycra snobs but I didn't realise we also had chocolate snobs as well...

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Boycott because we have only just left Xmas behind..FFs.

alotronic | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just call that quality of confectionery 'snot-late'.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

And while we are on the subject - wagon wheels HAVE got smaller.

The bastards.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was not happy when they cancelled the dark chocolate mars bar. They re-release them for a few months every few years and then just when you are hooked again they take them back off the market.

SB76 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well, this little thread has entertained during my lunch break.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agreed. In the period I was in the US unable to find edible crème eggs, I found that all of the (processed, readily available) bread was also too sweet. I'm sure you can find decent bread in places, but the Mid-West doesn't seem likely as being one of those places.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

Kraft are what is known as "evil" much like "SPECTRE" and Chris De Burgh albums.

They probably make the new cream eggs in an Indonesian orphanage or similar.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

TBH it was only in the fridge because my mum had visited and tidied up in my kitchen and decided that putting all the Christmas chocolate in front of the radiator was the best place to keep chocolate  40 . Fortunately it hadn't melted (unlike the box of gylian chocolates which had all pooled in the bottom of the tray) but I wanted it to be more solid before I ate it.

Anyway, the only other thing in the fridge is beer and cider bottles so nothing to taint it.

I'll remember that in future, but considering what you get in the UK can barely be considered chocolate, I'll continue to put my "chocolate flavoured fat" that dairy milk and nestle push on us in the fridge.

ronin | 9 years ago
0 likes

Now a marzipan egg would work for me. Surprised it hasn't been done before.

The _Kaner replied to ronin | 9 years ago
0 likes
ronin wrote:

They have...

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-11750-Waitrose+marz...

ronin replied to The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes
The _Kaner wrote:
ronin wrote:

They have...

Thanks! Thanks for nothing that is  3 I got my hopes up...and then crash. No chocolate mate. Looking at the ingredients though, where do they find space to put pork gelatine. Looks like they'd bounce, and probably not Kosher.

Sugar, marzipan (45%), rice starch, wheat glucose syrup, alcohol, thickener gum arabic, colours chlorophyllins and plain caramel, pork gelatine, invert sugar syrup, invertase, flavouring, glazing agent coconut oil

Ghedebrav replied to ronin | 9 years ago
0 likes
ronin wrote:
The _Kaner wrote:
ronin wrote:

They have...

Thanks! Thanks for nothing that is  3 I got my hopes up...and then crash. No chocolate mate. Looking at the ingredients though, where do they find space to put pork gelatine. Looks like they'd bounce, and probably not Kosher.

Sugar, marzipan (45%), rice starch, wheat glucose syrup, alcohol, thickener gum arabic, colours chlorophyllins and plain caramel, pork gelatine, invert sugar syrup, invertase, flavouring, glazing agent coconut oil

Speaking as a veggie married into a Jewish family, I'm amazed by how much that pesky pork gelatine gets around. Check your flavoured yoghurts (and yoghurt-like desserts), people.

HarryTrauts | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hang on, this is still a cycling forum, isn't it? (This should probably be in the "Tea Stop.")

Oh well, if everyone else is doing it...I can't see how the recipe of the chocolate makes any difference to the experience of a Creme Egg as that stuff in the middle is disgusting. It's like overly sugary phlegm (I'm guessing about he phlegm bit). Has anyone actually tried to eat one while cycling? My hat is off to you if you have and survived.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Alan Davies preferred the new egg on The Last Leg, but perhaps it was because the old egg had expired. I get that some people prefer Galaxy or other chocolates, and thanks for sharing your indifference. However, for the people who do like Cadburys chocolate it feels like the thin end of the wedge. What if they changed the chocolate in a Wispa or Double Decker? What is to stop them doing this? What if kelloggs changed the formula for Corn Flakes? I am too young to remember the New Coke crisis but that didn't work out well for them. It makes you wonder about intellectual property, does the taste of Dairy Milk belong to Cadburys or the people? Would you tolerate Marmite or Heinz Ketchup changing after 30, 50, 70 years? The simple question is just why is this necessary?

truffy replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

I get that some people prefer Galaxy or other chocolates, and thanks for sharing your indifference. However, for the people who do like Cadburys chocolate it feels like the thin end of the wedge.

This

Whether you prefer another brand or simply think that CDM is shit is irrelevant. If you don't like Cadbury's Creme Eggs, then no one is forcing you to eat them. But some people enjoy them as they used to be.

FWIW, I live in Switzerland and travel a lot to Belgium, and I think the milk chocolate in both countries tastes like crap, too creamy and sweet. The only chocolate they can't **** up is dark/bitter. But that's just my personal taste.

IIRC, Cadbury's not being able to market their chocolate as chocolate (in some markets) was a petty EU dictat. And we all know how corrupt and craven to vested interests most of those are.

Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

Funny to hear people complain about Creme eggs being switched from Cadbury's "chocolate" - Cadbury's don't even make chocolate! There's so little cocoa in it, they're not allowed to call it that! "Chocolate-flavoured" is as far as they're allowed to go, no?

It's like toddlers arguing over which bit of crap scraped off the floor tastes better.  3

Leviathan replied to Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes
Paul J wrote:

Funny to hear people complain about Creme eggs being switched from Cadbury's "chocolate" - Cadbury's don't even make chocolate! There's so little cocoa in it, they're not allowed to call it that! "Chocolate-flavoured" is as far as they're allowed to go, no?

It's like toddlers arguing over which bit of crap scraped off the floor tastes better.  3

Thanks again for sharing Paul, however the clue is in the name, Daily Milk Chocolate. You seem to have been listening to too many Belgian politicians.

Shamblesuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

American chocolate may be the worst but the experts also generally say that British chocolate is the second worst.

Pages

Latest Comments