Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stupid Question

I should know this but can not find one.

I have Shimano SPD's on a Campag Chorus crank, what good do I use to get them, I think I need a 15mm hex key, is this right ? if so where do I get one from ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

sorted now with the Allen key, thanks all

wycombewheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

my shimano spds cannot be removed with a pedal spanner, need an 8mm alan key. get one from isaac lord which will be nice and long for extra torque and cheaper than a bike shop. just remember that now you are turning the tool from the wrong side of the thread so the direction will change.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

ah thank you, yeah they were the £55 carbon ones, so 8mm is what I need, cheers.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like you have the more upmarket Shimano pedals (i.e. not the £15 jobbies that you remove with a spanner).

If I remember correctly I use an 8mm hex bit/allen key to remove mine (I remember this as I made a point of making sure my mini wrench had an 8mm bit), you poke it through the back of the pedal spline (on the opposite side of the crank to the pedal itself, so the side closest to the frame). If you're lucky your multitool may have one on, otherwise you'll need to make a special purchase.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I need to take a picture but the pedal comes off with the spanner/nut but leaves the spindle in

rasalati | 9 years ago
0 likes

The nut is what you should have been using the spanner on. After removal, there should be a clear hole through the crank.

... unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a pedal spanner and all it did was remove the pedal but leave the nut in. It is an allen key I need so will need to try and find one big enough.

All this so I can fit a power meter on ha ha

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Depending on the pedal you can usually remove it with an allen key if you don't have a pedal spanner. Just look through the crank and see if you can see a hex fitting then just use the right size key.
Don't forget right pedal is right hand thread left pedal is left hand thread and if done with allen key can be a little confusing.
The link that rasalati posted shows the allen key method as well.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

thanks mate, much appreciated, just that sometimes the simple mechanical things baffle me ha ha

rasalati | 9 years ago
0 likes

Assuming you mean what tool to use to remove / secure them, you're after a 15mm pedal spanner / wrench (two words for the same thing, but comparing products you'll probably want to search for both).

You should be able to pick one up from any decent bike store, on or offline.

See also: http://www.condorcycles.com/workshop/how-to-remove-pedals.html.

Latest Comments