Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A bunch of embarrassing first-time questions

I've finally got myself logged on in time for a full season and I am just upgrading to premium for the first time- but I'm not quite sure what happens next.

I wouldn't quite call myself a rookie- I spent more hours than I care to share juggling my Tour/Vuelta teams last year- but how does the rest of the season work? Are there leagues for each event + an overall one?

Do the majority play in one massive league? And what about stage-by-stage transfers? Do people tinker each day?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Penalty points wont be back, not this year anyway

Mike.Franchetti | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ahhh, penalty points. I like that. I'm all up for daily changes, just wondered what prevented mass moves of 9 sprinters to 9 climbers etc....

Brilliant- cant wait! Cheers for the reply

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

You need to change for each stage Mike, so most of the game is strategy in keeping the number of changes to a minimum so as not to incur any penalty points - last year there was a 10 point penalty for any changes over 2 per stage. So, if stage 1 is a sprint stage and stage 2 is a summit finish then clearly the gamble is whether to pick a team full of sprinters and take penalties or whether to be a bit more liberal and have some climbers in too for stage 1.

Transfers could be carried over last year so if you didn't use any between stage 1 and 2 then you had 4 to use between stages 2 and 3.

Other important factors are intermediate sprint and mountains points, and teammate points for the winner i.e. if Kittel is likely to win stage 1 then it may well be worth having Barguil in as he could collect 5 points for just being on the same team and then have a chance of his own on stage 2 in the scenario above.

They have said that there are some changes to the rules so we will find out when it opens which may be today.

enrique replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

... last year there was a 10 point penalty for any changes over 2 per stage...

I miss them  22 ... there was a certain steadiness to play that I got used to with 2 transfers a day that I miss... I also miss coming to the end of a competition and not having the ability to 'buy' one more chance to roll the dice with a penalty transfer... I hope they come back... Any chance they might be offered for GT's?...  39

chiv30 replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Joelsim wrote:

... last year there was a 10 point penalty for any changes over 2 per stage...

I miss them  22 ... there was a certain steadiness to play that I got used to with 2 transfers a day that I miss... I also miss coming to the end of a competition and not having the ability to 'buy' one more chance to roll the dice with a penalty transfer... I hope they come back... Any chance they might be offered for GT's?...  39

Not this year at least (im guessing the games now coded this way based on the spring classics thread )

0 likes

I'm up for the challenge. I was up until the early hours evaluating the merits of Navardauskas last year.

So for example, do most people churn out a team of 9 sprinters (budget permitting) in the first week of the tour?

I've always preferred seeking a finely tuned realistic nine !

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

All of that Mike. And then tinker some more. Hard work to be honest  16

0 likes

Woops- just seen the Rookies thread.. will move it up into there

Latest Comments