Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube Agree GTC Pro vs Peloton Sl or Race?

I am a regular commuter cyclist but wishing to make a proper investment in a good all rounder road bike to take my cycling and fitness to another level. I hope to use for longer endurance, sportives and hopefully club ride outings. I have tried out a few makes and models from the likes of Willier, Cannondale & Cube and I am pretty settled on the latter from a geometry, spec and cost point of view. My LBS majors in these brands so a bonus if there's s problem.

However I am really stumped on which Cube to go for? Yes, I would love to invest in the new Agree GTC Pro 2015, carbon frame is comfortable to ride and full Shimano 105 5800. However the Cube aluminium range £200 less is topped by the SL model with Ultegra front & rear derailleurs complementing 105. The weight difference is not that big between the two.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these models? Also is the new Shimano 11 speed 105 really worth investing the extra in? I have seen loads of great offers on Cube 2014 models but they are all 5700 group set. I don't plan to do loads of upgrading in the future, so what I go for is what I'll keep unless things fail and have to be replaced.

TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

Timmee | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well I said I'd comment after some rides on the Peloton. I've put in 250 miles now and I'm really pleased. The Armadillo Elite tyres were a good move as they seem comfortable, quick and tough. The U.S.E seatpost shim arrived so I now have the 30.9 EC 70 post in which has improved the comfort still further. I notice that with the new 'Attain' aluminium bike, Cube have changed the seatpost diameter from 31.6 (on the Peloton)  to 27.2 (traditional for compliant mtb hardtails). I always hated the 31.6 alloy post on my Specialized Rockhopper years ago. Cube have realised that seatpost is somewhere that comfort can be improved on a sportive style bike, and they've taken a valid but different approach from Giant.

I'd say with the carbon post added, the Peleton matches the Giant Defy for comfort and has better wheels, chainset, and brake calipers (I forgot to mention the Ultegra mechs - which were not a deal-breaker for me.) I did 50 mile loop a couple of days back and felt fine at the end and ready to carry on riding so I'm happy.

Bear in mind I'm NOT a racer, I have the 'compact' chainset, and my requirement is not out & out speed. I've no idea whether the Peloton is fast compared with other bikes, but the ride feels enjoyable and lively.  If I'm comfortable too, then that can't be bad.

Timmee | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cube Peloton SL vs. Giant Defy 1 - thoughts.

Me:
I did the London-Brighton and Wessex 100 on a 26" mtb a few years back, and I did the Surrey Hills Classic on a borrowed (and oversized) Specialized Roubaix last year - but that's about it for my road experience. Lately I've done some road rides on my adapted 29er rigid mtb with cyclocross wheels and smooth 32c tyres. I really enjoyed them, but I noticed couldn't keep up with the road bikes of my usual mtb club buddies.

I ride mtb at least twice a week, but I'm not a fanatical cyclist, so I decided on nice (but not outrageous) sportif-style bike. I have been a consummate Ebay parts-swapper for my mtbs, so I've learnt the hard way that a complete discounted new bike is the often best way to get all your components. I started by deciding there were fantastic bargains available at £700-800 and ruling out carbon for cost reasons.

With that lot in mind, I test-rode the Giant Defy 1 and the Cube Peloton SL. Emotionally, I felt would like the ride of the Defy 1 alu frame & carbon post. It was good - no question about it. However (for an extra £80) the Cube had a real bucket load of upgrades which would have cost a fortune to do (even doing it whilst buying new bike with the giant dealer). I think the cheap components they remove are virtually worthless to them so they don't give you much off new upgrade parts.

Anyway this was what I was looking at:

Giant Defy 1: FSA solid crank, stock wheel, Tektro brake calipers, 105 mechs.

Cube SL: 105 Crank, Acksium Wheelset (good basic wheel & much lighter), full 105 brakes, Ultegra mechs.

I knew I'd want lighter wheels, better tyres, and I wasn't convinced about the tektro brake calipers either. That was probably £200 right there.

The 10 mile Defy test-ride was smooth, but then the Giant had 25C tyres and a carbon seat post, whereas the Cube had the horrid skinny 23C Mavic tyres and an alloy post. The Cube dealer wasn't keen for me to take the bike too far but I managed to do 6 miles including some poor condition cycle track and a hill. Despite the crap tyres and alu post, I thought the Cube felt pretty decent and had potential. Since I was planning to fit some 25c winter tyres, and I have an Easton carbon seat post I can use, I figured both those things would bring the Cube's ride closer to the Giant's. (BTW, the Giant's carbon post is an exclusive proprietary shape.) Overall the stock Cube SL is significantly lighter than the Defy 1.

In addition of my own test ride, I'd seen the Youtube Cycle Show video where Matt Stephens was very complimentary about the Cube in a £1000 bike test. I liked the look of both bikes as neither looked garish or as if it was trying too hard.

So that was how I arrived at my choice. If the Cube had been full price (£999) and the Defy 1 had been available for £719 (which it was), then I'd have gone the other way and settled for a few cheaper components. I think either bike would be great for what I want.

I'm picking the Cube up this morning with some new 25c tyres for the autumn/winter riding. I'll be fitting some old XT spuds (for Sidi mtb shoes) as I don't hold with fancy roadie pedals and cleats. I'll drop by this forum again with some feedback after a few rides.

Cheers for now, Timmee (Southampton)

thearchitect | 9 years ago
0 likes

So tested both Cube Agree Pro GTC and the Peloton SL today. Both were fantastic to ride. To summarise the Agree was super smooth ride, it felt like it was almost floating along. On first pedal pushing off it seemed to just go, all the power just transferred to forward motion. The SL was great in a slightly different way. I read somewhere else the analogy to a sports car for a good aluminium frame and an F1 car for a good carbon, this isn't far from it. With the SL you are more in touch with the road and I felt you could throw the bike around corners, really fun. The Agree perhaps less raw in its ride, but I reckon better for clocking up serious mileage and climbing.

I haven't decided!

joeegg | 9 years ago
0 likes

A couple of friends both bought carbon Cubes. One the base model,the other an SL. Comparing frames the base model did not have same frame. Talking to the shop they confirmed that the entry model had a different frame to all the models above.My friend paid extra and swopped to the what he equated to as a higher spec frame.

0 likes

I sized myself with Canyon's PPS tool and I came out as small which equates to about a 53cm which sounds right to me. I think the Endurace (CF or AL) will be similar riding position to the Peloton, look at this page it is very useful:

https://www.canyon.com/en/technology/geometriekonzept/index.html#1

The Endurace CF 7.0 looks a good deal but sadly I don't think they offer through UK B2W scheme, can anyone confirm?

The Canyon being shipped to the UK would only save me £50 in comparison to buying the Agree Pro locally.

0 likes

Weather permitting I'll try and arrange another test ride of both Cubes models this Saturday as my local bike shop has both in stock in my frame size.

The Canyon Endurace CF was on my shortlist, my only concerns being able to sit over one and physically size it correctly before I buy (I'm 5'7", circa.170cm not sure Canyon match). It is a while since I used their sizing tool on their website, but maybe I'll give it another go? The other was purchasing through the cycle scheme here in the UK, will a German online retailer accept it?

0 likes

Hi, yes both were 2015 models. I think the difference of about 20mm between the two is only slight in reality, you can certainly assume a good low profile on the drop bars.

antekp replied to thearchitect | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks a lot. Let me know what you go with, too. I think I'm leaning towards the Peloton and then upgrading the wheels at some point.

There's still this bike: https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3694
(in the stealth colour) that is grabbing my attention at the price point of the GTC Agree Race.

0 likes

(sorry, double post)

0 likes

Good to hear that I'm not the only one mulling it over! There are really helpful comments above.

I have actually test ridden both now, but only on an extended car park surface for 10 minutes each, certainly not long enough to appreciate the difference!

Both were nice and spritely and very responsive, the Agree marginally smoother but only slightly in my opinion. A helpful and knowledgeable assistant at Cycle Surgery today came up with some good points or questions to ask yourself?

Will you do much climbing on it? If so carbon better suited (I live in East Anglia which is pretty flat)!

How often will you use it? If everyday for commuting then carbon is perhaps not quite so resilient as aluminium.

Agree is more race (dare I say aggressive) geometry with a lower stem, Peloton a 'little' more relaxed. If you are only doing 2hours max either bike ought to suit, but if you are planning doing a long tour maybe the Peloton would be more comfortable. I can't say I really feel the need to want to race but I would like to join my local cycling club and keep up with the pace for a couple of hours or a morning.

Personally I don't think the Peloton is the bike you really need to upgrade much, it is at its natural level of spec to match a very good aluminium frame. You may just want to upgrade when things wear out. However if you love upgrading parts (and like receiving little Wiggle parcels like I do!) the Agree you might swap out the wheels at some point.

Let me know what you go with dude?

0 likes

I live in the south of Poland (so not *that* hilly) and most of my trips around here are rather flat (no hardcore climbing). Till now I was doing all my riding (last 1.5years) on a too-large 2007 2danger aluminium frame with an old Ultegra groupset and was actually quite happy, love riding it despite it slowly getting quite old.

My biggest problem here is that I *never* really complained about the harshness of the ride (even when doing a few 3-4 hour rides) so I feel like aluminium would definitely be enough for me. Especially given that it is a much more modern alu frame and the 2x11 105 should be a huge upgrade anyway. Tons of people at my local club (just one here though  21 have alu frames and seem to be doing really well in terms of pace / keeping up.

Talked to a few people already and most of them suggested that switching those Fulcrums 77s over to a higher-end wheelset could also have great impact and that it is something I will probably want to upgrade anyway at some point. Either something more Aero (like the Cosmic Elite) or a bit all-round (Ksyrium Elite) would be a huge huge upgrade.

But also before doing anything to the wheels, there definitely will be a few parcels coming (like the saddle, pedals, tape, seatpost, probably the stem, too).

0 likes

hey, thearchitect,

I have one more question. As you sat on both bikes, was the difference in 'aggressiveness' that big ? Would you still be able to curl up and get up to decent speeds on the Peloton ?

Also, were those both 2015 models that you tried on ?

Regards

antekp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

I am in a similar situation -- thinking about either getting the Peloton Race 2015 or spending around GBP250 more for the GTC Agree Pro.

I don't ride that much -- usually it's around 60-100 miles per week (I do a lot of MTB so not that much time left). Usually I'm going to spend 1.5-2hrs in one session.

Both bikes are full 105, whereas the Peloton appeals to me a bit more in terms of paint/colour.

So what do you guys think, would I really benefit from spending that money on a carbon frame, or should I maybe stick to the Peloton and e.g. spend the additional money on getting proper wheels in some time, like the Mavic Ksyriums ? I won't ever race on this thing, it's purely for training purposes.

Thoughts ?

sean evans | 9 years ago
0 likes

I totally agree with the comments about aluminium being as good as and often better than low priced carbon frames but in this case the carbon bikes in the cube range offer significant improvements in ride quality and stiffness.

The bike that excites you the most visually is far more important than the addition of an extra gear. If you need more than 10 gears you can simply get another cassette (as I did). If you have a bike that you love the look of, you will ride it more often, take better care of it and ride it faster.

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

The difference between the groupsets on the two models you mention will be hard to distinguish, I've got bikes with both 5700 and 5800 and the overall feel of the newer one is perhaps marginally nicer, but on my 5800 setup the 11th cog only gives me a lower gear which I'll probably never use, rather than a tighter spread of ratios between the gears. An occassional complaint on my 5700 bike (with a 12-30 cassette) is that I don't always have the "right" gear when on the flat in the big ring, so the tighter spread of 5800 with something like an 11-28 cassette might be preferable to fix that.

Don't get hung up on carbon for carbon's sake. Yes, it's what the Pros use, but it doesn't automatically mean *you* need a carbon bike. At this end of bike brands' ranges, carbon really won't be discernably lighter/stiffer/smoother than a good aluminium (or steel) frame, so do try both before you buy. Yes, it'll be different if you're spending twice the money, but I'd personally take a better groupset on a decent aluminium frame than believing the hype of the negligible improvements that a thousand pound carbon bike will give you.

Also, bear in mind if you are using a Cycle to Work scheme that the retailer may not honour a sale price on a 2014 bike when bought through the scheme (most indepdent stores don't). Much like many other big brands, Cube seem to have lowered the prices of their more mainstream models this year, so the new price of the 2015 Agree GTC Pro is £1199 (against £1399 for the 2014 model), meaning sale prices of last year's bikes might not be as much of a bargain as they appear.

0 likes

Thanks Sean, sounds like the carbon is worth the investment.

My last question though: I have the option of a reduced 2014 GTC Pro (with 105 5700) in carbon grey, or the 2015 version with 5800 in white. This sounds very picky and is purely aesthetic but I love the look of the 2014, but is the up to date spec 11 speed version really worth going for, would I see great improvement over last years model? You may not be able to answer if you haven't tried the 5800 set?

Cheers

sean evans | 9 years ago
0 likes

the difference between ultegra and 105 rear mechs is minimal, the ultegra shifter is a bit nicer as it has more of a definite click but the thing you should focus on is the benefits of the carbon frame over aluminium, this is the deal breaker.

sean evans | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a Peloton for a year and got an Agree GTC pro with the same groupset, it is a world of difference, brilliant for long days in the saddle due to the forgiving rear end flexibility and shock absorption. Much stiffer for climbing, it's a world of difference. the agree is well worth the extra few hundred quid, I would certainly go for that if budget permits.

0 likes

Firstly, I am the most indecisive person on this planet, a decision like this ends up blowing my mind!!!

I can only really stretch to the entry level Agree GTC Pro as I'm going to use the B2W scheme and that would mean me topping up £200 to go above the £1k limit. The spec of the 2015 is 11 speed, but downside it only comes in white this year!

I have sourced a 2014 model in the dark grey/black/red colourway but this is 10 speed 5700, this only saves £50 going for the older 2014 model, but personally think looks much better and won't need cleaning so often (my main gripe with white bikes without mudguards)!

Now the aluminium Peloton SL has a great spec, better than the carbon GTC Pro, comprising Mavic Aksium wheels, 5800 groupset sprinkled with Ultegra derailleurs. I think it also looks great in the new black+white colour scheme. Only gripe would be that someone on a carbon bike pulls alongside at traffic lights, would I get bike envy and wish I had invested that little bit more for a smoother ride?

So these are my three choices?

Simon E replied to thearchitect | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tyre pressures can make a bigger difference to ride quality than frame material.

Aksiums are OK but they aren't that special.

Having 11 gears isn't necessarily better than 10, you could waste half a lifetime debating the pros & cons. After six months of regular use they will be much of a muchness.

Bike envy? That is why you should buy the one YOU like best (which sounds like the 2014 GTC Pro). It's not like it will be the last bike you ever buy.

arckuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got an Agree GTC SLT 2013 which I possibly love a little too much, It's been fantastic over the last year since I bought it, with an all Ultegra 10 speed groupset. 2014+ Agrees have 11 speed Ultegra, but there are some good deals out there to be had on older models. £1500 is 46% off the 2013 Agree GTC SLT Di2 (basically the same as mine, but with electronic shifters) from Bikeshed and seems like an absolute steal - that's where I'd put my money today! There are other places giving 20-30% discounts on 2014 models.

The peletons are the aluminium version, I've never ridden one but they get decent reviews.

joeegg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Cube Agree Pro aluminium about 4 years old. It came with full Ultegra and has been a great bike. Not one problem. Changing the wheelset brought the weight closer to my friends carbon Cubes.I'm not sure if the present alu Cubes have the same frame as mine as its triple butted in places. Ride quality is just as good as my carbon Scott.
Bikeshed have the Di2 on offer at £1499. Just watch the sizing. I would normally take a 54 but the Cube is a 58.
Wouldn't hesitate in buying another Cube.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

They're all good, just pick the one you like best.

Latest Comments