Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TdF York - Sheffield Stage. Anyone done it?

Me and a friend are thinking of having a go at riding the TdF Stage 2 route from York to Sheffield. Has anyone done it and have any tips?

Are there any stretches of road worth avoiding? The short section on the A629 before Keighley looks like duel carriageway, so I was thinking of taking the B road parallel to it. Anything else?

Also any cafe stop recommendations?

Thanks

Mark

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

David Else | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden the route of both stages.
Stage 1 is utterly grand from beginning to end.
The first half of Stage 2 is also pretty good as far as Holme Moss, which never fails to disappoint. Or tire me out.
Woodhead Pass is one of the scariest bits of main road I know. Narrow and busy with cars and trucks, with the added fun of drains and cats-eyes that force you out into the carriageway.
Langsett Cafe a few miles beyond the top of Woodhead. Highly recommended.
Strines Road and section through High Bradfield very nice, with some stiff climbs.
Last bit through Sheffield is (not surprisingly) very urban with lots of traffic lights etc.
Jenkins Road a sting in the tail!

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

One of my future plans is to ride stage 1 forwards then ride the route in reverse on the same day. Then do stage 2 the same the week after.

But thats at least 18 months away.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Stop at the Brow bridge Café in Greetland but beware of the size of the portions. Avoid the dual carriageway climb up to Ainley Top by turning right after the café and climbing to Outlane then dropping into Huddersfield. Remember that the steepest bit of Holme Moss comes about 1 mile before the glamorous bit, and that the Woodhead pass and the next bit of road will be full of big lorries and impatient drivers.

Manchestercyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

I stopped for lunch in howarth, its exceedingly pretty and there are quite a few places to choose from.

Manchestercyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I have. It's really nice. The first section is a bit dull as it heads west from York. But I did it on a Saturday and wouldn't have described is as heavy traffic.

Cyclist replied to Manchestercyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
GREGJONES wrote:

Yeah I have. It's really nice. The first section is a bit dull as it heads west from York. But I did it on a Saturday and wouldn't have described is as heavy traffic.

As above...

And be aware of the 100s and 100s of cyclists going up Holme moss...
Planning to do it in reverse this year.

Latest Comments