Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

To sell or not to sell...

As first world problems go, I'm after opinions on the following please...

I purchased a 2014 Trek Madone 2.1 in December 2013 through Cyclescheme. It was my first road bike, and I've covered some 2,500 miles on it, both commuting and weekend/charity/sportive rides. I've enjoyed riding it, it's a decent bike, and has caused the cycling bug to bite me fairly hard.

However, it's not without it's limitations as an all-weather machine, so last month I purchased a 2015 Whyte Suffolk, again through Cyclescheme. This was intended to be the "winter bike", but having now put a few miles on it, I've been so impressed that I just see myself riding it year-round, at the expense of the Trek.

It's a shame, but I just don't see where the Trek is "better" than the Whyte?

Put this way, the Suffolk is barely any heavier in "bike plus rider" terms, 11-spd 105 is a vast improvement on 10-spd, I'm already a disc-brake convert, and it's a damn sight more comfortable over long distance too. Take the mudguards off and it's basically in the same mould as half of the Sportive Bike of the Year round-up.

So, to keep the Trek or not?

If I did, I'd probably want to upgrade it so as to improve it over the Whyte as to actually make me want to ride it. But where do you sensibly go from the 105 that's already on it? I've seen the likes of CRC selling a full 6800 Ultegra groupset and wheels combo for around £670, but is the frame deserving of such upgrades? I'm sure there's a reason why you barely see any aluminium bikes equipped with Ultegra and above.

If I were to sell it, going rates on eBay seem surprisingly high, so with a good once over I could probably achieve over £500 for it. Even after taking account of the payment I'd need to make to Cyclescheme, it doesn't leave me too badly off after a year's use, particularly when it only cost me £680 to start with.

Perhaps that money could go into the pot for some carbon loveliness, once my cycling abilities deserve it...

Any input welcome. Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

bjornalkema | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sell the Trek and use the money for nice gear.... good goretex clothing or something you normaly don`t buy easily.... I have good colthing so I would buy me a nice lighter wheelset...carbon seatpost....

I have 4 bikes.... 2 racers, mtb, cx... and 1 racer is to `old` for a good sell...  102

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

I recently got a new bike (carbon fibre frame with 11 speed ultegra and shimano hydraulic disc brakes) and absolutely love riding it.

I looked at my previous bike (tarmac sl4 with 10 speed ultegra and rim brakes) and could not see myself riding it again, even though it was in excellent condition and was a rare USA colour way.

£650 later I don't regret selling it at all, as the disc brakes have been such a revelation that I am not even interested in rim brake bikes any more!

Sometimes it good to move on, and realise whatever cash you can from selling the previously 'enjoyed' bike

mzungu | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just been through the same dilemma. While it's nice to have a collection of shiny bikes, there is something to be said for having a more focussed collection and using the damn things... I vote sell the trek, use the cash for a trip away or other bits and pieces...

EnglishmanAbroad | 9 years ago
0 likes

Think about it logically, your probably not going to ride it if you like the Whyte so much. £500 = more money for shiny new cycling stuff

rasalati | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't see much point in keeping the Trek as a spare "just in case", as your mountain bike could serve that role.

If you're not going to ride it, then sell it.

My vote is for N-1. Heresy, I know!

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

As it is, yes, I do have the space for the Trek and, no, I don't *need* the money, but then £500 would always come in handy for, say, an extra holiday that we might not have.

I kind of see it that it is a lot of money just to have lying around, tied up in something that won't get used.

The thinking behind perhaps upgrading the Trek (as a summer bike) was simply to make it lighter/faster/"better" so as to make me choose to want to ride it over the Whyte when I'm just out for fun (I don't ride competitively), but I think its economically-unviable to put the money into the level of upgrades needed to achieve that, short of finding some outstanding bargain!

Keeping as just a spare is maybe an extravagance, absolute worst case I've got an old Scott MTB in the shed that will do the job for getting to work.

I do like the idea of strapping it to the roof of the car and having the wife follow me as my support vehicle, would definitely get some looks from the local clubs! Funnily enough, I've been eyeing up the Skoda Octavia estate as my next car purchase too!

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you have a partner who drives? If so, strap the Trek to the top of their vehicle and have them follow you around on all your rides.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

You don't see a lot of aluminium bikes with Ultegra or above probably because there isn't the demand - its now seen as inferior to carbon. Not that you shouldn't put Ultegra on an alu frame.

I have Ultegra on my alu TCR. It came with it, and its designed as a race bike so there's some (albeit minimal) point to a better (lighter) groupset.

If you like the disc brakes, then regardless of what groupset you put on the Trek, it will still be rim brakes. I'd probably go for another 11 speed 105 groupset and some nice wheels if I was going to update the Trek. Whilst its decent, its not that good a frame to warrant Ultegra.

Why do you want to make the Trek more desirable to you to ride? Will you be racing or riding anything where the Trek would be more suitable?

I'd keep it if you can afford to and don't want to be without a bike when the Suffolk is being fixed. Otherwise sell it.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Two questions to determine whether you keep it.

1. Have you room for it

2. Is £500 a great deal of money to you

If you answer No to 1 and yes to 2 then sell the bike

I would keep it for a spare when you need to repair or have a major service on your whyte.

Latest Comments