Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Commuter bike upgrades (aka do my shopping for me...)

I commute (~10 miles each way) on a 2010 Kona Dew Drop. It's getting a bit worn out- or at least, the sub-Tiagara Shimano drive train is. I reckon the levers and derailleurs could do with being replaced- it's had several chains, at least one new cassette and even a chainset (thanks to an incident with my own stupidity, strength greater than intelligence and the wrong pedal).

The brakes (disk) could probably do with replacing.
At the moment it sports a triple with an 8 speed rear, but due to worn bits I've got the limits on the front set so I can only use the middle and outer. I don't the inner in Cambridgeshire

Shopping list:
10 or 11 speed, double, groupset. Clip on front mech (think it's 28.6mm or there about). If I get a good bundle deal I can always ebay the brakes.
Rear wheel- disk & 10/11 speed compatible. Nothing fancy, just want solid, clincher rim.
Brakes: had been eyeing up the TRP Hy/rd. But these appear to be made of unobtanium. Stick with conventional cable hauled (BB7 or similar) or use a converter and hydraulic system?

Alternative:

A Whyte Suffolk. I've spied somewhere that has a 2014 (so 105 10 speed- the 2015 upgrades) in a 56 (so would be the right size for me) for under a grand.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments