Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon Inflite AL 9.0s

Hi, I'm looking for experienced owners of Canyon Inflite AL.

I would like to buy 9.0s version to use as winter/rain bike. I usually commute about 20 miles daily, mostly on Specialized Roubaix bike. I also have 29" MTB hardtail with disk brakes (Shimano SLX) which I have equipped with road tires and which I use in rain and poor weather.

Can you please tell me how does it feel to ride Inflate AL? I'm puzzled by cyclocross geometry and I wonder how is the riding position compared to endurance bike? It seems that the price for 9.0s (full Ultegra build with RS-785 brakes and DT Swiss R23 wheels) is extremely good (1700 euro), so I question quality of the frame.

Many thanks for all the help.

Marko

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Markopic | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have bought Inflite Al 9.0s and made my first thousand miles on it. I have bought size S (53) alhough I had a medium sized road bike - I have analyzed frame sizes and concluded that S size Canyon frame is very similar to M size Specialized frame on my road bike.

I like the geometry very much, it is a “proper” road bike, although top tube (junction with seat tube) is placed relatively below the seat (similar to mountain bikes), so there is no much space for large bottle on seat tube.

Components are really great for the price, brakes can only be praised. I have not seen brakes with so much power and so good modulation before. The ride is pretty good, but the frame is not as good as my other frame (which is significantly more expensive) - you can feel that the steering is not so responsive and the bike does not feel so good in curves. But for winter/rain bike is more than good enough.

I had also significant problem with rear wheel (DT Swiss R23) - it started making noise and became loose on the spindle. I contacted Canyon and they told me to send them the wheel on my expense, and they will then analyze if the problem is not related to my misuse. I had the wheel repaired by my local bike shop - bearing were not properly sealed, the water has penetrated and everyhing inside has corroded and had to be replaced.

Nevertheless, I’m more than satisfied with the bike, it really is great value for money and very secure rain/winter ride.

Many thanks once more for the help!

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's not just the ratio that counts, it's the absolute size too. Compare the reach and stack measurements with your current bike. If it's within a range that you can adjust with seatpost, stem and seat forward-aft, then it's good. If not, avoid.

Markopic replied to matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Inflite has 15mm higher stack than my current ride, so it seems that the riding position is higher (no wonder, since it is a CX frame). Still not sure if it is right for me, although Endurance has only 4mm lower reach.
Thanks for the advice!

JimboBaggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

I haven't actually weighed it yet, but it seems fine for a commuter / winter bike - you don't want them to be too light or you don't feel that buzz when you get back on the summer bike... Just took it for a 115km ride round the lanes today - worked flawlessly, disk brakes excellent on twisty dampish roads. Guards functioned well, pretty stiff and robust.

alexn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Marko, in regards to the CX Frame. This is just my view, but I find CX frame a little more compact in comparison to a standard road frame. But then I prefer a smaller frame as I find them easier to handle! Defintley a plus point if you ever want to go off-road with it.

Must admit the weight of it which is supposed to be 9 kilos, does not feel heavy at all, which I find surprising. I have a Trek 4.3 Disc with Mudguards as well, and that feels like a heavy brick in comparison, but I dont know what the weight of that one is. It just feels very very heavy. The Inflite feels nimble and alive in comparison!

Price wise that Inflite is hard to beat.

Just word of warning: If your ordering the Canyon Inflite Al 9.0 which comes without mudguards. But in case you want Canyon Mudguards as well, which do fit per perfectly, but don't order the bike and the mudguards together. Rather do two complete separate orders, as with Canyon if there is a delay with the mudguards it would hold up teh whole order, and even if your bike is ready to ship, it will only ship once mudguards are ready to be shipped. This is with any extras you might order from Canyon. I have had it a few times now, where even a bottle cage has held up the order for weeks. So always do the bike order as a separate order from any accessories you might order!

Markopic replied to alexn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again for the help. I have further analyzed Canyon frames, and there is a comparison "tool" - defined by Stact to Reach ratio, explained on the Endurance CF Sport Geometry page (http://www.canyon.com/en/technology/geometriekonzept/index.html#1).
Basically, bigger ratio means more relaxed riding position.

I have checked all bikes, and my current bike has ratio of 1,44, Inflite has 1,50 and Endurance CF has 1,51. For comparison, Ultimate CF SLX has ratio of 1,46 (bigger than my ride). After all, I still wonder if this is the right frame for me - I really like ride position on my bike and does not consider it particularly racey. I would like bike that is usable and secure in poor weather, but I also like good riding position. Decisions, decisions...

alexn | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got it last Winter for Winter Training, and it feels comfortable enough! Frame does feel a little on the small side, but that might be more due to it being more of CX Frame, but overall I like it. I got the ultegra version as well, and rides pretty smooth with the VLCS seatpost. Although I did find that the post can slip if not tightened pretty tightly! I m 86kilos, and it seemed on the border of what the post is recommended for!

Markopic replied to alexn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for answering. Can you please explain what do you consider "CX frame"? What are the differences between Inflite frame geometry and "normal" road bike geometry?

In the description on Canyon web site frame is described as "balanced cross geomerty" without explanation what does it mean.

I'm currently at around 75kg, so should be ok for VLCS post - I plan to order one with -2/10 mm setback.

Many thanks again,

Marko

JimboBaggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just got one before Christmas to be a winter bike and all-year commuter. Got the 9.0s - and the hydraulic disc brakes are just awesome, so confidence-inspiring when riding around London, and excellent out on proper roads too. Haven't ridden through a real mud bath ride yet but I'm sure they will be good. Spec is excellent - full Ultegra, the mudguards work great and can take the supplied 28mm tires (although you might want to replace them with winter tires - they are summer GP4000s). Frame is solid aluminium - feels nice and stiff. I got the "leaf-spring" VCLS septets which is very comfy. My summer bike is a Cervelo R3SL and this bike doesn't feel too much different - it isn't an endurance bike though, so I can't help with your specific question.

I'd recommend, basically. Cracking value.

Markopic replied to JimboBaggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for answering. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. If you can compare Infilite AL to the great Cervelo bike, than it seems to me that it will be more than good enough for me. I'm looking for stable and secure ride in rain and low temperatures, and Inflite seems more than suitable, and I respect suggestion to change the tires. I have already read that the breaks are great, also the wheels (R23) should be more than good enough.

How do you feel about the weight? It seemed to me that the bike is heavy (9 kg), but compared to Road cc bike of the year (Cannondale Synapse disc) at 8,4 kg, it does not seem so much.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Marko

Latest Comments