Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How long to 'rest' from a chest infection?

20 7 weeks of rest with a Chest Infection. Is that long enough.,. ? Been on 3 rides in that period, all for no longer than 20 miles as I seem to run out of steam, all at a snails pace as I seem to have lost leg speed and strength. I live in London so getting out to the country side and fresh air is important to me but I have not been able to.

It's all rather disappointing as I have some new Christmas presents to try out but am not getting the opportunity.

Who else has a lurgy keeping them off the bike? How are you coping?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

this thread is depressing me even more, currently got a chest infection, been about 10days and feeling a bit better, but not great, I hate driving to work!!!!

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Someone knows better than me says... keeping moving will help the healing process, but 'exercising' is simply likely to postpone recovery.

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

I agree with the comments above, you need to recover from a chest infection. However I have noticed that more sedentary people are generally more prone to chest infections, colds etc. It has been suggested that this is because less air flow around the lungs allows the infection to get a hold. Your lungs have a 'self cleaning' system and this is facilitated by exercise.
So cyclists get chest infections because.... maybe because we train when we are run down? Not sure!!!
I am suggesting that exercise will help to clear the 'muck' out of your lungs, helping to prevent chest infections getting hold and helping the recovery. But doing enough to keep the lungs clear without overdoing it and running yourself down is the science bit!

700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

Would echo what Chris1 said,

definitely keep out of cold weather, so when your infection has cleared, start with Turbo sessions. Pretty sure I gave myself a chest problem a few years back when I went out on a hard ride in freezing conditions..

consciousbadger | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had plenty of chest infections when I grew up and so I know what you are going through. As others have said your body as a whole will have taken a knock so go easy on yourself. Also, think about what riding in the cold is doing. You will be breathing in, probably bypassing the nose with harder efforts, cold air which is shooting straight into your lungs and I'm sure this won't help with building up strength after your illness. If you have a turbo trainer then to be honest I'd stick to that to get your cardio system fitter and rebuild muscles. Otherwise get a temporary membership at a gym and do some jogging/rowing/cycling indoors. See how you go with that for a few weeks and then gradually start riding outside if you feel strong enough. Wear a snood though to keep your neck warm, ideally one you can pull up to cover your nose and mouth too if it gets particularly cold!

chrisl | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well I can add some helpful advice on what not to do...

This winter I have been passing a vague infection between tonsils, chest and now sinuses. This is particularly troublesome as it seems to have swollen and re-fractured my face after my crash 20months ago (I thought I was over that!) To do this I went on a couple of cold rides, particularly one which finished with standing around for an hour developing mild hypothermia. Oh yes, and spending a night on the bedroom floor in a sleeping bag when my friend visited. Generally, getting cold seems to bugger it each time.

Seems to be better inside on turbo, and I've been allowing myself 3mile convenience rides to train stations etc. so take it bit by bit and WRAP UP!  1

stealfwayne | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for all of your wisdom. got tired yesterday after an hours ride then Yoga session with Mrs Stealf, so will be off the bike for a week or two more then will be gentle getting back into the saddle. Gentle rides out in the country will be the order of the day for Jan getting more strenuous in Feb. Will let you know how I get on...

Thanks again for all you advice, really appreciate the genuine help by all concerned.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a chest infection before xmas. Stopped riding for 10 days, after I would only ride a couple of miles to the local shops. With the weather being cold. I have decided to keep off the bike and do all my cycling for a month or so on my indoor exercise bike. I am slowly regaining my fitness, but this is only power, tempo with occasional interval work. I managed against boredom for a 2hr recovery ride whilst watching Ben Hur on New years day. I have got a power meter for my bike to fit when it becomes a little warmer where I will need 8-12weeks of endurance work to balance my power, interval work

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If it's pneumonia you're talking about, I couldn't get out of bed for more than an hour for a month.

Your nastier sort of common cold can leave you with fatigue, can be nasty if it is hard to shift. Take it easy.

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are chest infections and there are chest infections. The recovery period for pneumonia is particularly long. Do what you can do and don't push yourself too hard - Jimmy Ray's advice and Jacknorell's advice sounds pretty good to me.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're really getting knocked for six biking, try something less strenous for a bit, like quick walks or finding a nice big staircase to walk up a few times to get your breathing and heart rate up.

My latest chest infection was a horror, I feel your pain.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

OK... how are you feeling? Are you still feeling the effects of the infection? By that I mean do you still have an infection?

If so, then the answer is that you rest until the infection has gone.

However... if you are infection free, in as much as your chest is healthy, then get back on the bike and start rebuilding the engine.

What people often fail to consider is how much a significant infection will knock them as a whole... you're body will still be recovering, but at the same time, you will have also lost a lot of fitness... the two combined means that even short and gentle rides will feel challenging.

The knock on of this is that you still feel ill, when in reality you are just unfit.

So get back to regular riding as soon as you can... short and low intensity, and with plenty of recovery... so 30-60mins level 1, 3-4 times a week, until that feels easy... then start cranking it up. If symptoms return, then stop training, you are getting back on too early.

Latest Comments