Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Isn't bike locking a pain!

Whenever I'm cycling long distances I don't want to carry a huge lock to protect my bike from thieves when I stop. I usually carry a kryptonite D lock with the long extender chain thing and lock all wheels, frame and saddle with this, so I know its reasonably secure, but the lock just weighs so much.

Anyone else feel the same!? Surely there's a better solution out there!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

cqexbesd | 9 years ago
0 likes

Where you live makes a huge difference. I used to live in London where people will steal your seat if you don't lock it on. My wife had her bell nicked.

Whilst still living in London we went touring in Finland. People looked at us like we were mad when we locked our bikes up. The locals would just lock the rear wheel to the frame and lean the bike against the wall.

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar issue cycling in France where I was meeting the rest of the family for lunch mid-ride in a town. Usually I carry a thin 'cafe lock' but I managed to carry a Abus Mini U lock by sticking the barrel in my seat pack and strapping the shackle between the seat pack and the saddle. The seat pack was a strap variety, rather than a clip-on type. OK, it was extra weight but better than losing the bike. The U lock went through the seat stay/rear spokes and the bike stand with the cafe lock securing the front wheel.

joeyoung826 | 9 years ago
0 likes

yeah,never stop in cities for instance.  21

Tinternet_tim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I feel your pain George! I try to avoid leaving my 'good bike' unattended on weekend rides.
I do a lot of cycling on my own and on the occasions I do have to stop (I have Ulcerative Colitis so sometimes it's unavoidable  17 ) I can never relax knowing I have asked the most trustworthy looking stranger to 'please keep an eye on the bike'.
I have considered taking a cable ski lock with me, I know it'll not take much to cut it, but it will prevent the opportunist. I'd never leave my bike in a city centre as I've had several mates have theirs pinched even though they have 'chunky' cable locks!

On the plus side, Derby has recently opened a bike shop/cafe in the city centre where you can leave you bike for free. They are stored behind a manned desk and you have to check them in and out. If only all cities had these facilities readily available!!

georgeperyer | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've never had any touble yet... but you just hear so many stories about stolen bikes nowadays! Makes you wonder how long it will take for you to be the next one

0 likes

I've never had any touble yet... but you just hear so many stories about stolen bikes nowadays! Makes you wonder how long it will take for you to be the next one

0 likes

jasecd | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bike lockers in town centres/supermarkets would be a better solution but that would require some investment and us cyclists aren't really worth it!

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

When I stop I take the front wheel off, seat off, split link on chain and let down the back tyre. Never needed a lock  4

glynr36 replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

When I stop I take the front wheel off, seat off, split link on chain and let down the back tyre. Never needed a lock  4

You are aware someone could just walk off with it...
Id rather carry a lock.

CXR94Di2 replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

This morning I was feeling a little mischievous  1

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never take one on a ride of distance, also don't really stop that much.
Food shopping etc I just have a mini D lock I take with me, gets through frame and back wheel, never had any trouble doing that for the last 4 years. And that's living in the city centre of Birmingham

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Where do you stop ? I've been cycling over 30 years and never take my lock with me on a weekend ride. It's all about finding the right stops. Don't stop in cities for instance.

Latest Comments