Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel bearings for a Boardman Team Hybrid????

Hi All,
does anyone know where I can get front and rear wheel bearings for a Boardman Team Hybrid 2014??? I have tried both the local Halfrauds and some others by telephone and the expressions and answers I get are like if I'm asking them for diamond encrusted earrings........ They just don't seem to understand what I'm asking for after explaining, drawing and even showing them where on a display bike I mean - "we can get new wheels" is about the closest answer I can get.

Of course the Boardman (not Halfrauds) website has no method of contacting them direct as they say 'all questions to the retailer where you purchased the bike please'  102 which is Halfrauds - and they haven't got a clue what I want, or dare I say it, they may not even know what a wheel bearing is?  20

Anyone have any pointers?

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mymumsaysimcool | 9 years ago
0 likes

As far as i can remember the Hybrid Team uses unbranded Formula hubs that use a cup 'n' cone system, so yeah loose ball bearings, 1/4". Halfords do sell bearings for hubs but they're set in cages, which is fine IF the cage fits through the opening and into the hub. You can push the bearings out of the cage and install them loose but you'll be short by 2 or so. You're best bet is to buy a batch of decent loose-ball 1/4" bearings from Ebay, 20 per hub should do it! LBS's usually have bags of Weldtite bearings on the shelf.

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

My Comp hybrid certainly had Shimano pattern loose balls, which were available anywhere for pennies. If the cones are pitted you can easily get those too but if the hub race is kaput ..... be prepared to buy a new wheel, it'll be cheaper than having a new one press fitted.

If they are cassette bearings you could try any of the many bearing manufacturers who advertise online. Even if there's no identifying number (which I doubt) you can measure the inner and outer diameters accurately and the firm will match them.

Best of luck.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Last boardman hub I looked at just had loose balls.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Might be something about online? Bikeradar etc. could have had someone else asking the same question, least saves you stripping the bike and waiting for bearings.

trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Glyn,
unfortunately the hubs have no markings/manufacturer stamp or anything on them - the rims are Mavic, but the hubs are probably a 'cheap alternative'. I can strip the hubs and get the bearing ID's I suppose, just don't want to be without the bike waiting for the bearings. I was hoping to get them in, have them all ready and strip, renew and rebuild in one hit.

Thanks for getting back though - I will endeavour to spend tomorrow's 'shaky hand day' in the garage.  21

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

What wheel set/hub is on it?
Searching for that online might give you some info on what bearings are in the wheel, then just go to some place like bearing boys online and buy said bearings.
Bike shops (chain stores or independents) always charge through the nose for bearings.

Latest Comments