Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble Gran Fondo?

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a new bike since my last one (Pinnacle Three 2012) was stolen a few weeks back :(. I'm looking for a considerable upgrade though and have been torn between several bikes. The two bikes I'm particularly torn between is the Planet X Pro Carbon (which is currently £749.99 - RRP: £999.99) and the Ribble Gran Fondo (with full Shim. 105, Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels and is £1189).

I'm a sportive rider and enjoy rides in the 150mile park and I'm looking to do a few cycling trips (roughly 150miles a day for 5 days) so I'm looking for a bike that is fast and comfortable. The Ribble seems to tick all the boxes, but I can't help noticing that the Planet X is £400 cheaper...

Can anyone give any advice? Like I said, I'm leaning towards the Ribble but would appreciate people casting reassurance/doubt!

Thanks, Ben

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

benlanghorne | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. It's great to hear that you both recommend the Gran Fondo! And hope you've recovered from your crashes nigsbrown!

Do you know how much the Gran Fondo weighs roughly?

nigsbrown replied to benlanghorne | 9 years ago
0 likes

Roughly 8kg for my setup.

nigsbrown | 9 years ago
0 likes

The ribble gran fondo is a great bike. Well worth the money. I've had a couple of bad crashes on mine once hitting a car at around 32 kmh and another time getting my front wheel stuck in a tram line, while swerving to avoid pedestrians who had stepped into the road without looking. Both times I came off a lot worse than the bike, the carbon frame held up well with no cracks unlike my bones.
I find the ride positon very comfortable and the bike gives me the confidence to let it fly on descents having regularly reached speeds of between 70 - 75 kmh before feeling the need to comfort brake.
My Gran Fondo is with Campagnolo gearset and came in just shy of £1500, it has given me hours of satisfaction and I would highly recommend this bike.

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the previous version of the Ribble and it is fantastic, smooth, comfortable, responsive and, to my mind, better looking that the PlanetX.

Latest Comments