Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

I can't reach the brake levers!

I bought a second-hand Bianchi which features a Record group set. On the hoods I can operate the brake levers easy enough but in the drops I struggle to reach them comfortably (I have small hands). This makes me nervous riding in the drops, especially downhill.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the levers so they sit closer to the bars for a shorter reach? Or do I have to buy a new pair of levers?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

44 comments

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just a little personal experience with my new bike to share, I'm still in the process of playing with the setup and getting things just right (I have more important things to spend my money on than a bike fitting session).

I was having trouble reaching the brakes on the drops, to the point I was avoiding using them. I've since moved my saddle back by about 1cm and tilted the nose up by a couple of degrees (by a couple we're talking less than 5deg) and suddenly I can reach the brakes, and sitting on the drops is far more comfy.

I'm not suggesting this will help you, but don't just fixate on the bar position, when the saddle and pedals can have a huge influence on your bars. Obviously if you have the £'s a bike fit will help, but otherwise don't be afraid to adjust all parts of the bike (just be sure to note the original position in case the new setup doesn't work).

darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes

An update on the saga. I went to my new LBS and tried a traditional more rounded pair from Deda and it was better. I still struggled to comfortably reach the brakes but was getting closer. The next step will be to look at changing my brake levers. Mine are 10 year-old Records. I hope the newer Campag offerings sit closer to the bar.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Think it's Lizard Skins DSP tape...

thesaladdays replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

Think it's Lizard Skins DSP tape...

Cool, that's gotta be it, cheers!
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lizard-skins-dsp-race-bar-tape/

0 likes

So, ahem, it's not my girlishly small hands, rather it's a positioning issue combined with buying a pair of ergonomic bars which are useless. My manliness is restored.

dottigirl | 9 years ago
0 likes

From dealing with women who often have this problem:
1. your bars have 'sagged'. The top of the bar needs to be flat, so undo the stem and reposition, lifting them up.
2. The hoods look to be in the wrong place on the bars, too close to the stem. By moving them down a little, the angle should decrease.
Correct these two and it may be improved.
3. What Abbie says above about slackening the cable - my bite point is two thirds in instead of a third in, which means I have more control and I can grasp the levers first without braking.

darrenleroy replied to dottigirl | 9 years ago
0 likes
dottigirl wrote:

From dealing with women who often have this problem:
1. your bars have 'sagged'. The top of the bar needs to be flat, so undo the stem and reposition, lifting them up.
2. The hoods look to be in the wrong place on the bars, too close to the stem. By moving them down a little, the angle should decrease.
Correct these two and it may be improved.
3. What Abbie says above about slackening the cable - my bite point is two thirds in instead of a third in, which means I have more control and I can grasp the levers first without braking.

They only tilt down by a couple of degrees but I'll give it a go and lower the hoods to see if that helps before taking the pricey option of getting new bars. I think it will help but will it help enough...

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Deda RHM. My five foot nothing girlfriend with hands like a baby meerkat can reach the levers with them.

0 likes

The FSA Compacts look suitable as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWM0KTdCOY

What do you think?

Abbie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I Had a similar problem of reach. Hoods and Brakes. I put a shorter Stem on first. Then Changed the Bars to the FSA Omega compacts, now use the drops with ease.
For the brakes (i use Shim 105) I have to slacked the cables, so I can grab the lever first and squeeze it in before they even engage (not Ideal) but it works for me.

0 likes

Do you have a pic you could post, monty dog?

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have small hands and Campagnolo Mk2 Record Ergos - they aren't adjustable / come with wedges so it's simply down to finding a suitable handlebar. FSA Compact and Ritchey WCS Compact work well for me but bar angle / lever position is critical. Anatomic bars don't work well with Ergos IME. I ride 90% of the time on the hoods - even for CX where big handfuls of brakes are a necessity.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of Cinelli ergo bars with Record, and the reach is fine, but the bars have more distance of top curve than yours, the levers are lower down, and the drops are parallel to the floor.

I also checked a set of modolo Tao ergo bars I had on the shelf, they're the same shape as the Cinelli's, some think going to a shop and looking at different bar shapes is the way forward.

darrenleroy replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

I have a set of Cinelli ergo bars with Record, and the reach is fine, but the bars have more distance of top curve than yours, the levers are lower down, and the drops are parallel to the floor.

I also checked a set of modolo Tao ergo bars I had on the shelf, they're the same shape as the Cinelli's, some think going to a shop and looking at different bar shapes is the way forward.

Would you mind posting a pic of your Cinelli bars please? Ta.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

for a bloke i have quite small hands and campagnolo chorus ergos. i did find that
anatomical bars just don't work. i now have deda newton shallow on one bike and
deda speciale 26 on the other. perfect now !
Apologies for the upside down tape measure  3

darrenleroy replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

for a bloke i have quite small hands and campagnolo chorus ergos. i did find that

These bars look about right for me. I'm going to visit Imperial Cycles in Isleworth or Bicycle in Richmond as they both look like they might know what they're on about! I'll pick their brains. Hopefully they might have some levers on bars similar to mine so I can have a good feel.

thesaladdays replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

Sorry for the OT, but that's some very nice looking bar tape (just as I'm thinking of replacing mine). What is it?

darrenleroy replied to thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes
thesaladdays wrote:
therevokid wrote:

Sorry for the OT, but that's some very nice looking bar tape (just as I'm thinking of replacing mine). What is it?

It's just what I bought from my LBS. I can't remember the name. I'll check next time I'm in for you.

therevokid replied to thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

lizardskins dsp race tape ...  1

darrenleroy replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

Which bars are the ones in the picture and which bars get you closest to the levers?

0 likes

Thanks for the advice, Manglier and Crikey. I've realised the anatomic bars curve away too sharply at exactly the point I want my hands to rest in the drops which means I have to reposition them if I want to comfortably reach the brake levers (not what you want when hurtling down hill).

I will go and have a work at my LBS and see what they might offer me in the way of a new bar. The classic shape seems the best option right now.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Take great care when you mess about with the position of Campag levers...

http://road.cc/content/forum/133064-i-feel-crying-campagnolo-ergo-cracki...

I'd be looking at a compact handlebar; those 'anatomic' style bars are anything but, and a compact bar will work better all round.

http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-drop-bar-geometry/

Spangly Shiny | 9 years ago
1 like

From your pictures I think that your hoods may be a tad too high on the front curve of the bar. If they were a bit lower down the ends of the levers would be closer in.
The front curve on your bar is quite tight so a small change here would give a relatively large change in lever position.
To maintain the hoods at the same angle you would then need to rotate the bars up slightly.
Imagine loosening the hoods and the stem and, keeping the hoods in the same position, rotating the bar up (clockwise in the photos).

CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

A set of bars that have a more classic round curve would allow you to get a bit closer. You might also experiment with the angle of the bars - just loosen the cap on the stem a bit and play around (without riding - that wouldn't be safe).

For example, if you move the shifters further down the bars a bit, then tilt the bar up to be where you want when riding on the hoods, you might find you can reach the brakes a bit better from the drops. You'd have to remove the tape but it's a lot cheaper than new bars. As mentioned, Shimano shifters have inserts that bring the levers in closer if desired. I have a collection of them (big hands  1

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

Holy shit...

Not sure if new bars will make a difference. The length of the hoods are the issue here I think. As they all come a standard size I'm not sure what you could do.

I'm not being funny here but maybe the brake levers you get on kids high end road bikes are of a different size?

0 likes

Here's a pic of the bars.

surly_by_name replied to darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes
darrenleroy wrote:

You need to change those bars. Mostly because they are a hideous shape. If it helps you reach levers that;s a good outcome too but mostly you need to change them because it makes my eyes burn just looking at them.

Deda Zeros, with RHM. Short reach/shallow drop. Will allow you to move hoods further forward, thus bringing lever closer to drop (your existing bars seem to fall away very quickly below the point of the triangle formed at the rear of the gear lever - they are almost triangular; I don't understand how anyone could ever have thought this shape was a good idea) while still running drop parallel to top tube. And don't look hideous.

darrenleroy replied to surly_by_name | 9 years ago
0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:
darrenleroy wrote:

You need to change those bars. Mostly because they are a hideous shape. If it helps you reach levers that;s a good outcome too but mostly you need to change them because it makes my eyes burn just looking at them.

Deda Zeros, with RHM. Short reach/shallow drop. Will allow you to move hoods further forward, thus bringing lever closer to drop (your existing bars seem to fall away very quickly below the point of the triangle formed at the rear of the gear lever - they are almost triangular; I don't understand how anyone could ever have thought this shape was a good idea) while still running drop parallel to top tube. And don't look hideous.

Eyes burn? Ha ha, I kind of see what you mean. I don't know how I was talked into buying them apart from being a novice rider. (I also bought a pair of SPD pedals which concentrate all the pressure into one spot and shoes that are too narrow for my feet so my left foot hurts. I suppose you learn from experience but it's not a cheap experience.)

What is RHM?

Vejnemojnen replied to darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes
darrenleroy wrote:
surly_by_name wrote:
darrenleroy wrote:

What is RHM?

RapidHandMovement

0 likes

I've attached a pic. I can reach the breaks easier if I shift the v between my thumb and forefinger a bit higher up towards the bottom of the hood but I can't ride in that position and I want to immediately be able to reach for the lever without shifting. I think I have the wrong bars.

Pages

Latest Comments