Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Please Help me decide: Canyon Endurance Aluminium Ultegra 7.0 2015 or Felt Z6 Carbon tiagra 2014

Hi all...

I am trying to decide between these two bikes and really need your expert input into this.

Price is similar for both around 1500 usd

My rides are a weekly group ride 30 to 100 km
Twice on my own a week 20 to 40 km
I have been riding for 7 months

I am slim  1

First Bike:

Felt Z6

http://www.wiggle.com/felt-z6-tiagra-2014/

Full carbon Frame, Fork, seat post

This bike has the advantage of a carbon frame that could also be a disad

Tiagra groupset
Tsa crank
mavic cxp22
Felt saddle
Felt hubs
8.7 kg

Second bike

Canyon Endurance Al 7.0

This bike has top notch specs only for the frame that is aluminium.

I have read many articles and posts about the comfort of the carbon frames but is it that different?

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3576

Light aluminium frame approximately 1.3 kg
Carbon fork
Full shimano Altegra 11 speed groupset
Fizik ardea saddle
Mavic axiom one wheels
Continental grand prix 4000 tyres

7.85 kg

I am more inclined to the canyon.. but I have read many articles and posts about the comfort of the carbon frames but is it that different? Wouldn't a good pare of shorts do the job of dampening the vibration?

I appreciate your input..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

AliBeshara | 9 years ago
0 likes

The amount I stated was the shipped price.

Unfortunately canyon charges a hefty ransom like amount of money for delivery which is 364 usd.

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some good sense on trying to find a middle point on spec between the 2 models. Only thing I would probably say is you can probably find a felt at a local bike shop to try.

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just as an aside, I do love how Canyon publish the weights of their bikes. It annoys me how companies like Giant and even shops like Evans expect you to spend a decent wad of cash and they can't tell you the weight of what they want you to buy.

Daveyraveygravey replied to Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:

Just as an aside, I do love how Canyon publish the weights of their bikes. It annoys me how companies like Giant and even shops like Evans expect you to spend a decent wad of cash and they can't tell you the weight of what they want you to buy.

Yeah me too! In my research so far, I have found a couple of alu bikes under 7kg, so I'm now really struggling to want anything with an "8" in it! It's not like it's hard to weigh a bike either!

Tealess | 9 years ago
0 likes

What Gizmo says is smart, the Endurace CF is within your budget. However, if you take a look at the review of the higher end model on this site (http://road.cc/content/review/130346-canyon-endurace-cf-90-sl-road-bike), a big selling point is the wide profile rims on the DT-Swiss wheels, so if you could stretch to the Endurace CF 8.0 (http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3680), you'll most likely end up happier.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Carbon bikes are not made of magic bubbles waiting to pop at any second. Don't forget that the pros ride carbon bikes over the pave to Roubaix and elsewhere, and carbon fibre started to be used in Formula One for its strength! CF is, to an extent, similar to an eggshell in that it's very strong in the directions it's designed to take forces and potentially weak in others - but that also applies to aluminium tubing and either is equally likely to be written off in a crash because there are only some failures than can be repaired (unlike say steel or titanium which can be reworked, up to a point).

Seriously, I'd suggest going for a halfway point between the two options - the Endurace CF with 105. It's £1099 compared to the Endurace AL with Ultegra at £1049 (I can't see USD pricing). The CF version is lighter, will be more comfortable, has the new 105 which everyone is raving about, and the rest of the spec is the same as far as I can see.

AliBeshara | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks a lot for your input.

I think from your replies and other reviews on the net, I cant ignore the quality of Felt bikes. I haven't come across a negative review yet. especially for the Z series.

Regards the upgraded kit , I think either way, a few years down the road i will eventually have to change things as they wear out and then i will upgrade and hopefully will feel like having a new bike  3

It was also assuring that Felt ( and Canyon) offer crash replacement schemes.

I concern that comes in mind, will a carbon framed bike stand the impact of small impacts like if I forgot to unclip for a stop and fall on a side, or the bike falls while i have it leaning on the car ?

rnarito | 9 years ago
0 likes

I can only speak for the Felt as I own a Z3. Stunning bike and the ride quality is sublime. I own 4 road bikes and the Felt is the most comfortable by far! Have heard great things about Canyon, but can't buy them in the US  17

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride a Felt and in my opinion the build quality is second to none so i would go for the Felt everytime. There is a difference in Tiagra to Ultegra but will it be a big enough difference to consider going for the Canyon ???????

The decision is yours but its a nice one to have to sort out as both are nice bikes.

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Z4 so an ultegra build and love it. Now have 3500 miles on it with no issues other than usual servicing. I've done upto 100 miles on it without any issues but I might just be lucky that I've never really suffered any aches or pains. It soaks up bumps really well although my old ALu bike is now not to far away from it on new rims with wider rubber before it was shockingly harsh.

Personally I'm looking at a canyon with more aggressive geometry next year now my fitness and flexibility have come on. I can't imagine not using the z4 on the long runs over 60 miles.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. My brother in law has just upgraded to the cAnyon endurance in carbon will hAve a go on it on New Year's Day if I get a chance.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Canyon also do carbon framed bikes for that money. Either material can be made into a frame that is harsh and stiff or more comfort oriented. I think you'd have to ride both for a few hours to see if you prefer one over the other.
Rose also make carbon and alu bikes around that price, the alu ones seem very well specced and light too.

Yorky-M | 9 years ago
0 likes

Road and raced the Canyon Ultimate AL last season. Stunning bike. Honestly not looking forward that much to my normal road bike at over double the cost for '15. The ultegra is as good as dura ace

ChuckB | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have ridden a CAAD8 and a SuperSix on the Paris Roubaix Challange and only noticed a difference on the Pave'. Off the Pave', on both asphalt and a packed dirt section on my normal route, the difference between Alu and CF is almost too small to notice except for some really rough sections, where the CF is a but more comfortable, but the Al seems to have a bit tighter handling. I gave the CAAD8 to my son as I like the colors of the SuperSix better. A good chamois and a good pair of gel gloves pretty much evens things out IMHO. the Canyon does have much better pieces on it, if you are riding a lot, I think you will face upgrading the SORA and the wheels on the Felt, which puts the Canyon ahead in my estimation, but you really need to try to ride both of them, and factor in the price difference (including the groupset upgrade) as you will be on this for a few years

Latest Comments