Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle Sore

I do all my training at the moment on a Turbo and obviously this is an issue. I have tried everything, creams, vaseline, sudocream, moving around often but is getting worse and worse and after 60 mins I am in agony.

I have invested in top quality shorts and this makes little difference as well, does anyone have a golden answer to it ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Two things to think about.

1. position on the bike... specifically are you sitting symmetrically on the bike, or leaning to one side? Most riders will drop one hip lower than the other to a greater or lesser extent. If you are always getting saddle sores in the same place, or on one side, then I'd explore whether you have an issue with excessive hip drop. Turbo's will make this challenge worse as they hold the bike straight, where as on the road, the bike can lean to compensate for your lopsidedness.

2. Type of saddle. If your saddle is too narrow, or not stabilising your sit bones sufficiently, it can enable excessive movement down there, which in turn can lead to rubbing, which leads to saddle sores.

Either way... my advice would be to get a bike fit.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice and been using tea tree oil now for a week and it has worked, reduced the bumps etc !

Swear by it now because it smells ha ha

OnTheRopes replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Im glad the teatree worked, it worked for me and yes quite a distinctive smell  1

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I understand so not going to ride until the weekend now and will look to buy a new saddle as well and get it fitted at a LBS.

OnTheRopes replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

I understand so not going to ride until the weekend now and will look to buy a new saddle as well and get it fitted at a LBS.

Dont forget to treat it with antiseptic during those off days

ianrobo replied to OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes
OnTheRopes wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

Dont forget to treat it with antiseptic during those off days

yep and also using sudocrem and gone down now ...

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

what saddles have you tried ... you say Arione, but what's the other ?
sometimes the shape can also have a BIG impact. I'm very flexible but the
Arione kills me. Antares is better, but Prologo Scratch is heaven  1

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

When I get a sore I use 100% teatree oil on it. It is a natural antiseptic. Just rub it in before and after every ride and a minimum of 3 times a day. I found it kept the boil manageable and bearable until it eventually dissapeared.
Of course I assume you use clean shorts every time, but just in case make sure you do.

Matt eaton replied to OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes
OnTheRopes wrote:

Of course I assume you use clean shorts every time, but just in case make sure you do.

I've taken to jumping straight into the shower after turbo sessions with my bibs on and giving them a wash there and then. I then sling them over the curtain rail and they're ready to go next time I need them. Seems to be working well so far.

0 likes
OnTheRopes wrote:

When I get a sore I use 100% teatree oil on it. It is a natural antiseptic. Just rub it in before and after every ride and a minimum of 3 times a day. I found it kept the boil manageable and bearable until it eventually dissapeared.

yep I do and try and take them off ASAP after the session, the teetree oil looks a good possibility.

glynr36 replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:
OnTheRopes wrote:

yep I do and try and take them off ASAP after the session, the teetree oil looks a good possibility.

When I had a few saddle sores earlier in the season I got round them by washing them with an anti bacterial soap (a usual hand soap does the job just make sure it's antibacterial) patted it try, and then used some A&D cream. It's designed as a diaper rash ointment but is pretty popular for tattoo healing as well (why I have a box full of the sachets at home and the girlfriend is a tattooer) and always in a matter of days it was cleared up.
Also helps to wear loose fitting underwear when ever you can.

Matt eaton wrote:
OnTheRopes wrote:

I've taken to jumping straight into the shower after turbo sessions with my bibs on and giving them a wash there and then. I then sling them over the curtain rail and they're ready to go next time I need them. Seems to be working well so far.

That's not really 'cleaning' them though, you need a detergent to get the crap out of them (the pad specifically)

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

I assume you mean your ass gets uncomfortable on a turbo ride rather than you have an actual saddle sore (boil)
I'm afraid this is par for the course on a Turbo. I have always assumed this is because on the road you tend to move around more, ride out of the saddle for short periods and this all helps to alleviate this.

0 likes

Nah used to the Turbo now since having one since september but always had these spots/boils in that very delicate place !! However the last three weeks without really increasing the time on the bike but the effort has gone up they have got really bad and sore.

Manageable and no need for the doc but just thinking is there anything else I could do ?

0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

Nah used to the Turbo now since having one since september but always had these spots/boils in that very delicate place !! However the last three weeks without really increasing the time on the bike but the effort has gone up they have got really bad and sore.

Manageable and no need for the doc but just thinking is there anything else I could do ?

Also when you get one, it's time to stay off the bike if you can.
You're not a pro going for a GT win, so 2-3 days to let it clear up will help no end.

ianrobo replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

You're not a pro going for a GT win, so 2-3 days to let it clear up will help no end.

Of course but I like to ride 4 times a week and have a training schedule, do not really want to stop if I am honest but just manage it the best I can.

0 likes
ianrobo wrote:
glynr36 wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

Of course but I like to ride 4 times a week and have a training schedule, do not really want to stop if I am honest but just manage it the best I can.

Then you'll never clear one properly or have to put up with the pain of riding on one.
2-3 days out of a training schedule is better than 2-3 weeks off when it doesn't get better and becomes infected (potentially), I had a bad sore a few years back and tried to push through and didn't stay off the bike, a week later it was still bad and became infected. Those 3 weeks ruined my early summer form, where as 2-3 days are recoverable in training.

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I find the turbo less comfortable too. I think that the fact that you are supported by a rigid frame (the turbo trainer) rather than a bag of air (your tyre) has something to do with it as does the constant position (no corners, climbs or descents).

To some degree I have just accepted that life on the turbo is less comfortable but its also an opportunity to play about with saddle positioning and angles and get these things spot on.

ianrobo replied to Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

yep just did an hour and played around a bit also put cream underneath Vaseline and whilst may seem over kill a damm slight more comfortable ... Still walking like Joh Wayne though  1

Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds a bit left field but have you tried a fan aimed at your arse?

Out on the road you have obviously got plenty of fresh air flow around your body keeping things cool. While on the turbo you are likely not getting that air flow.

This can mean seriously sweaty 'regions' which can lead to discomfort with shorts and pads cutting in.

ianrobo replied to Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes
Martyn_K wrote:

Sounds a bit left field but have you tried a fan aimed at your arse?

Out on the road you have obviously got plenty of fresh air flow around your body keeping things cool. While on the turbo you are likely not getting that air flow.

This can mean seriously sweaty 'regions' which can lead to discomfort with shorts and pads cutting in.

thanks sounds possible as I sweat a lot normally regardless of trainer or outdoors. Will try that as I have a spare fan

bike_food | 9 years ago
0 likes

Saddle height, fore, aft?
Even a gnat's ass out can make a big difference.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

tried the saddle, changed it with my other bike the Fizik Arione and better but not by much

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Change your saddle. Saddle/arse preference is like opinions everyone has got one. My prepreference is Adamo.

Latest Comments