Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Jacket recommendations

Yay it's the sales and I have received some donations towards the upgrade fund. Current front runners for a new windproof/ water resistant outer layer are the vulpine softshell (£100), vulpine Softshell gilet (£65) and the castelli gabba (£126).

Any other suggestions? Will the vulpine be a little loose on the fit due to it's do-it-all nature? I'm pretty much always in lycra for riding. It would be used for club runs and some fairly hard rides.

Thanks all.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh maybe a bit late for you but if it's a jacket you're after not sure the gabba is the one.
For spring or autumn rides it's good but not for the longer winter rides. It's just not substantial enough unless you're going flat out - for me anyway. I got caught in a biblical rainstorm in September in it and had to get to a cafe to warm up.

Check out the dhb windslam jersey. They say it's a jersey but it seems more like a jacket to me - and it's £50.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh maybe a bit late for you but if it's a jacket you're after not sure the gabba is the one.
For spring or autumn rides it's good but not for the longer winter rides. It's just not substantial enough unless you're going flat out - for me anyway. I got caught in a biblical rainstorm in September in it and had to get to a cafe to warm up.

Check out the dhb windslam jersey. They say it's a jersey but it seems more like a jacket to me - and it's £50.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, I've just ordered a convertible gabba. Here's hoping it fits!

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Consider the Castelli Alpha Jacket it is like the Gabba only more of a jacket cut and an extra vest type layer witha double zip. Has 5 pockets and is better round the neck for really cold weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUdLbo4KNHA
In my opinion the Gabba is more of an a late autumn / early spring jersey and is great for fast rides, particularly if you are not going to stop. The Alpha is a better all round jacket and is warmer. It is expensive but I have no regrets.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-alpha-jacket/

don simon fbpe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Gabba and love it, I also have a Capo Lombardia which is basically the same but with a higher collar. I prefer the Gabba.
Short sleeve with arm warmers make for a very versatile year round combo.
I also have a Vulpine Harrington style rain jacket and think that it's a quality piece of kit and worth the money.

Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes

I may be wrong but you'll probably struggle to find anyone who rides in a Gabba telling you not to buy one. They're possibly the most versatile Jersey you can lay your hands on.
Which Gabba are you looking at? The new version with zip-off arms or the older full sleeve jacket?

Latest Comments