Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Col de la Croix Fer / Glandon

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

I am in the midst of planning my summer trip to the Alps for some 'Col-catching,' and would like a bit of advice from some who has done the Croix der Fer from St Jean-du-Maurienne side.

I am thinking of riding a clockwise loop, from St Jean-du-Maurienne, ascending the Croix der Fer, descending the Glandon and back via St Etienne de Cuines.

But my question is;
going up the Croix der Fer, is it better to stay on the D926 (i.e. the main route) or is it worth going via the D80b (probably a quieter road)?

Having never been up it, I was just hoping to hear from someone who has done it.
My instinct says stay on the road, but no harm in checking…..

Just for interest, I will probably be basing myself in St Jean du Maurienne and I am also planning on doing Col de la Madeleine and Col du Galibier (including Télégraphe) as well.
But as I am doing it on my own, I have no car shuttle, so I think I will, unfortunately, have to do these as 'there and back' rides on the same road, instead of doing loops.
Unless anyone has some other bright ideas?……

Thanks for your time.
Pete

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

petertaylor123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thats a fantastic suggestion.
Not even considered that route.

Had a quick route plot and there is not 'that' much difference in length/ascent.
Having followed google 'street view' up both routes, you suggestion seems much better, with less traffic and more like the kind of roads I'm used to riding.

I think it has moved to the number one route choice, but I cant help but wonder if i would truely be riding the col de la croix fer, or just joining the road for the top bit?

Langlais replied to petertaylor123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well, after descending the Mollard down to an altitude of around 1200 m on the main road, the "top bit" would still be about 10 or 11 km, including the steepest, narrow part with hairpins after Saint Sorlin up to the summit. That, in my eyes, is "truly riding" the col. The profile would be something like this: http://www.arvicyclo.fr/file-fetch/138-col-de-la-croix-de-fer-col-du-gla...

Langlais | 9 years ago
0 likes

In reply to the original question, I would recommend taking the D80 from Villargondran because (if you're up to it...) it will bag you another col on the way - the Col du Mollard at 1630 m, between Albiez-le-Vieux and La Villette. It'll add another 400 m to the loop's overall height gain (because that's how much you'll lose as you descend from the Mollard to the barrage de Belleville, on the main road to the Croix de Fer) but it will also give you a break (of sorts...) in the main climb.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeh, I didn't say it was easy  3
Another alternative is to leave the car in Bourg D'Oisans and ride over the Croix de Fer back to your accommodation. Then do the other half of the route the next day back to the car. Just a thought

0 likes

Is that a bit like the Marmot sportive route?
Holy moly,,,, just done a quick strava plot of the route.
It suggests 162km(ish) which is ok, but with;
5,166m of ascent, which for me, is slightly 'less' ok.

I have a regular (but infrequent) route of 180km but that's only with 3,500m of climbing. This takes me between 7hrs30 and 8hrs, as it is.
Might need some serious training for that 'one' loop.

0 likes

No,,,,that's exaclty the kind of stuff I am after. Cheers.

So, as I am a bit slow and to clarify, you are suggesting;
From St Jean du Marienne side;
Up Télégraphe to Valloire.
Up Galibier and Lautaret.
Down the valley road, past Les Deux Alpe and Alpe d'huez climbs.
Hang a right.
Up the Glandon to the Croix der Fer and back to the start.

P

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally I would (and have) do the full route clockwise, if you have the endurance. Once you are over the Galibier it is not so hard to get to the top of the Lauteret and then it is downhill and valley riding until the Croix de Fer, which in my opinion is better from Bourg D'Oisans side anyway. Then it is downhill home.

Sorry if that doesnt help

Latest Comments