Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Changing my chain

I currently have full Ultegra kit on my road bike except for my rear 10 speed cassette and chain that are 105. (Chain is 105 directional chain 5701...I think)

When I change my chain which is now due, can I use a 6701 Ultegra chain with my105 cassette. My front chain rings are Ultegra.

I am going to have a go fitting it myself and getting a chain tool. I have watched a You Tube video on how to fit and it looks simple enough.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

shakebeforeusing | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oddly enough, the 105 5700 chain is actually really good, according to tour magazine they outdo pretty much all other chains for durability (dura ace is the only one that's almost as good). I'm currently using a kmc x10.93 chain but going back to 5701, as I preferred the old style. The chain pins are easy to use, and the joints are stronger than the regular pins, so it's not a weak point. If you break a chain on a ride you'll need a chain tool, and I find the pins less fiddly than chain links.

mike the bike replied to shakebeforeusing | 9 years ago
0 likes
shakebeforeusing wrote:

Oddly enough, the 105 5700 chain is actually really good, according to tour magazine they outdo pretty much all other chains for durability (dura ace is the only one that's almost as good). .......

I must have read the same review, it also appeared in Velo magazine, and I was so impressed I bought two 5700 chains, one for now and one for later.

I am pretty rigourous in my chain maintenance and I regularly got 5,000 miles from my Tiagra commuting chains. ( I use only dry wax lube and renew it every week or after every wet ride.) So I was expecting great things from the 105 version, after all it costs a little more and the tests said it was special.

I'm sorry to say the first one has been a definite disappointment. I think it will just about reach the same mileage as its cheaper predecessor but the chain checker has long been indicating the need for replacement. So, for me, it hasn't been worth the extra money.

Maybe the laboratory tests were less than realistic? Running a chain on a machine whilst spraying it with fine sand may be impressive in theory but perhaps it's not indicative of real world wear and tear?

Unless the second example shows a marked improvement I shall be reverting back to Tiagra about this time next year.

PS
I use KMC Missing Links with all my chains, Shimano, KMC and Campag, and they are fine. I have never needed to replace one during the life of a chain and they give great peace of mind on a long run.

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've not seen a shimano pin fail...but they are a pain to keep a hold of if you're out in the wilds and trying to fix a split chain...a bit of a faff...and you need a chain tool...unless you're adept at bashing the pin in with a rock...the missing link is just a lot easier to store in a saddle bag and fit at the side of the road if needs be...

Sensible replied to The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes
The _Kaner wrote:

I've not seen a shimano pin fail...but they are a pain to keep a hold of if you're out in the wilds and trying to fix a split chain...a bit of a faff...and you need a chain tool...unless you're adept at bashing the pin in with a rock...the missing link is just a lot easier to store in a saddle bag and fit at the side of the road if needs be...

So would you fit a KMC link to your new chain or just keep one in your saddle bag for an emergency break.

The _Kaner replied to Sensible | 9 years ago
0 likes
Sensible wrote:
The _Kaner wrote:

So would you fit a KMC link to your new chain or just keep one in your saddle bag for an emergency break.

Both...because having extra links is better than just having spare pins - you can replace bent links, if that is what has happened to your chain - even if it means losing some links and shortening the chain in an emergency (though theoretically you could also do this with removing the bust links and rejoining with a pin)...I run a KMC chain anyway, so use the missing link at the outset...and have 3 spare links in my saddle bag. (and I also carry a chain tool...you never know who needs one out on the road...)

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

shimano chains .... work of the devil. get a kmc chain and have done with it  1

Sensible | 9 years ago
0 likes

Okay..will go for a new Ultegra CN-6701 directional chain with a new KMC link.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been usingSRAM chains for years with good results, on Campag and Shimano drive trains. Worth a look.

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes you can - HG chain fits all other HG components - just remember the directional aspect of the chains...except HG- EV (6800 etc) for 11 speed
You could go KMC and make use of the 'missing link' connectors, which I find is easier than getting (and keeping a hold of - for emergencies) shimano pins...in case you need to repair/re-link during a ride.
I've used KMC (X10 SL Ti nitride) the last two chains (full 6700 on my bike) without any hiccup...

edit: have a look here..
http://si.shimano.com/#categories/138
lists the chain types etc...

Sensible replied to The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

The_Kaner...thanks

I have a KMC link on my current CN-5701 chain (it came that way with my new bike)

When reading the fitting instructions for the Shimano chains it shows the breakable pins to connect the chain. I thought this may be a better set up than a KMC link, and I have never had the need to open the link.

Do the breakable pins fail...is the KMC link a better option (stronger etc)

I have just read that the KMC link is re-usable. I suppose I could use my current one on a new chain.

Simon E replied to Sensible | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for KMC chains and quicklinks (they make Shimano chains too).

Sensible wrote:

I have just read that the KMC link is re-usable. I suppose I could use my current one on a new chain.

Yes it's reusable, in that you can split and refit it again (you can't with the SRAM 10 speed one). But you should use a new one when you replace the chain.

Latest Comments