Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

52t cog...hard work?

Hi people,
I recently fitted a 52t front chainring on my training bike and although I've ridden a fair amount with it on, man alive am I struggling! now I know there those of you out there saying "knob", "of course its hard" etc..but has anyone any idea how long it may take to adjust ...as I'm stubborn and wont take it off now its on...and in some ways I already know the answer,just keep riding, but I guess I'm looking for a little light at the end of the tunnel and some xmas cheer too!

any kind of help/comment/abuse welcome.

Ta.  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

'old school' was 52/42 and a 13-18, 6-speed freewheel - 20 if you were a wuss  3 As far as the OP is concerned, think about working on your cadence rather than simply mashing a big gear?

keith roberts | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice and comments fellas..stepping back and looking at it from other peoples perspective,helps me see what I really already knew...ride more, train with a few weights,use the gearing I have and keep going! thanks for all the advice /abuse/tips....have a great year of riding and grab bargains in the sales!
 36  3

pauldmorgan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it really the 52 you find hard or the inner ring (39? 36?) Last year the hardest ride (terrain-wise) I did was on an old school steel bike with 53/39 - 12-26. I just spent a bit more time out of the saddle than I normally would have done. If I hadn't had the constraint of that bike I never would've chosen that gearing but it was fine and I didn't worry about it and just enjoyed the ride - including 10-17% up Mam Nick. You may be surprised what you can achieve once you stop worrying about it. If you haven't already, change your cassette and get a 28 or 29 on the back whilst your legs get stronger. Having said all of this I won't be giving up on my 50/34 - 11/28 when I'm in the Alps. On the longer climbs I need all the help I can get.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

53/39, no sympathy!
I grew up with a heavy 70s Raleigh with 52/40 and that was MTFU gearing, none of your 34 bale out gear to drop down into when it got steep.
But seriously, use a bigger cog on the back as has been noted above, get out of the saddle and get your speed up. Nothing else to do really except train more.

edd23 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My advice, don't worry about it  16

It will get easier, I have gone from 50 to 52 to 53 on the front, over the course of the last eighteen months, and each time I have initially struggled.

Now if i ride anything other than 53 it feels weird, just way too easy in any gear.

Concentrate on cadence, accept that you will turn a 52 slightly slower than a 50, so if you were averaging say 95/100rpm on a ride that might drop to 90/95rpm and don't grind away.

OnTheRopes replied to edd23 | 9 years ago
0 likes
edd23 wrote:

My advice, don't worry about it  16

It will get easier, I have gone from 50 to 52 to 53 on the front, over the course of the last eighteen months, and each time I have initially struggled.

Now if i ride anything other than 53 it feels weird, just way too easy in any gear.

Concentrate on cadence, accept that you will turn a 52 slightly slower than a 50, so if you were averaging say 95/100rpm on a ride that might drop to 90/95rpm and don't grind away.

Yes I too am sad enough to be here on Christmas day  22
Anyway, I agree with the first part of your post, it will get easier but only if the rider puts the miles in.
I disagree with the second part though, you should not be compensating by dropping your cadence, you should be in the right gear to do the job at the right cadence, most of the time anyway.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a fat old bastard and unless it's a proper hill, I'm always in the 52 and only have 7 at the back.

I will concede though that my wee ring has went from 42 to 40 to 39 over the years, and the cogs from 22 to 24 to 26 to 28..........

tomstrak | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd guess that it's a question if rhythm, seeing as you've previously used a smaller gear. With a 50 on the front you can pop it in any sprocket and it's still workable, but with the 52 it takes a little more thought which has to be learned through experience with the gear.

So the take-home advice is this: find a rhythm in the 52 chainring on an 18 tooth cassette or so, then shift down the block steadily, while maintaining the rhythm and preferably keeping the same cadence, this should allow you to use the chainring without having to stand on it to get going.

Also, the more you ride the easier it gets, intervals are a good way to increase strength, same with weights and hill reps. But any riding is good.

I apologise if that isn't helpful, but in the spirit of Christmas cheer I've attempted to give advice, let us know how you get on.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well assuming you have a few sprockets on the rear try using them
I mean for example 50 x 18 gives you a 73.1 inch gear, whereas 52 x 19 gives you a 72.1 inch gear and hence easier than your 50 x 18.
All you need to do is change to a lower gear. If you are struggling on your biggest rear sprocket then get a cassette with a bigger sprocket or use the small chainring or failing that go back to a compact

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

So you thought 52 t is hard have a look at this. Then you might think differently
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/396809417143060304/

keith roberts replied to Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes
Nat Jas Moe wrote:

So you thought 52 t is hard have a look at this. Then you might think differently
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/396809417143060304/

Point taken...that's a mahoosive gear...  13

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Select one easier gear on the cassette. Or do some gym work to increase strength.

Personally I would of saved my cash and selected one harder gear on the compact setup. Each to their own though.

0 likes

rule no.5 again I guess...

0 likes

sorry. no, I have a granny ring too, but I'm looking for power/performance gains when I go back to the race bike next year..and the one TT I do each year... ( the race bike has a compact 50/32)
I'm just really struggling to turn the gear...it's reasonably hilly here which doesn't help,but obviously there are flat roads and I'm finding it hard there as well.

stealth | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am currently doing all of my riding on 53:18. Its not that bad, HTFU

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you have only the one chainring? Is your bike single-speed?
It's difficult to advise without the full picture.

Latest Comments