Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Clip On Bars Help!!!!

Hi Team,

After way to many hours looking at clip on bars, for some added downhill comfort in the Swiss Alps next year I have settled on one of these two. The Bontrager Race Lite Carbon clip on bars at £140 weighing around 420g and the Profile Design T3+ carbons for £150 weighing 620g.

So has anyone got these and could add a personal perspective on the clip ons?

How much will the extra weight have on the handling of my bike?

Is the extra comfort and adjustability of the Profiles worth the extra weight hit?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have been racing both hilly and flat time trials with Profile T2+ clip-ons for several years. It seems the carbon ones weigh more than alu versions.  39

But weight is not an issue. You will gain considerably more on the sections where you can get on the bars than the tiny amount of time the weight may cost you on the climbs.

Lower is not necessarily better. Being able to hold a neat, tucked-in position will reduce drag more than dropping the bars (which could also affect your climbing speed).

Most importantly, make sure you ride with them plenty before the big event. I'd do a few TTs to tweak the pad position so they are comfortable and you can ride efficiently on the extensions as well as getting used to moving to/from the STIs when you brake or change gear.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

IMFR is always a crash fest on the hair pins. I can only assume it's people misjudging their speed and abilities.

As I say something like spinach. Minimal weight and if you're only using them for a short time you don't need arm rests.

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

No problem using tri-bars on long descents, just make sure you get lots of practise - I've quite happily descended switchbacks whilst on tribars as I knew the road and confident in my handling. A full-on tri-position with saddle right forward might be more of a handful and having the weight over the front wheel means you have less margin for error if you over-cook it. I'd worry more about the weight distribution of your riding position rather than the weight of the bars themselves. Finally, my only experience of Profile kit is you'll need that warranty!

Tjuice | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a set of these:
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-handlebars-stems/deda-clip-black-car...

I think these are the same ones that 3cylinder refers to above. There used to be a cheaper aluminium version also - not sure if that's still available.

Because the pads clip straight onto the handlebar tops, and the aero bars go underneath the handlebar, it does not raise me up too high, so it's pretty good for position and comfort no matter whether I am in the drops, on the hoods, or on the aero bars.

For reference, my preference is to ride with handlebars quite a long way below the saddle, and I ride deep in the drops with traditional, not compact bars. I don't often ride with my hands on the handlebar tops, so using up that space to put the armrests on was not a big problem for me.

Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I did IMFR on a tri bike and it is the main reason why I am looking at a set of clip ons. I fully understand and appreciate all of the comments above but don't you think that the decents on the back end on the course would have been quicker and more comfortable on Tri bars rather than the drops?

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

You definitely notice the weight on the bars and if you're doing a lot of climbing - the pads get in the way of using the tops.

Personally - if its just that small fraction you plan to use them for - then I'd not bother. You should be on the bars a lot more than that really.

I've done IMFR and a lot of pros just used road bikes with spinacis on to get the best of both worlds.

Richard1982 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Might be worth having a look at the 'Controltech Aero Cockpit'. I've used them pretty successfully in the past for non-drafting stuff, and (at least on my bike) they didn't require a complete rejig of the bike fit. They're not as comfortable as proper TT bars, but they're light, easy to fit and handy in a pinch.

Richard

P.s. If you want to see some photos or something give me a shout  1

P.p.s Forgot to mention when I posted this earlier, these bars are adjustable a bit and on my bike they can be made draft legal if that's of any interest to you.

3cylinder | 9 years ago
0 likes

Forget the weight, but worry that the full tri-bars over your handlebars will be too high (or you'll have to change the handlebar height and affect your normal road position), and you might affect pedaling standing up.

Have you considered one of the smaller clip on bars that go under the handlebar? I use a deda clip on that is a central mono-bar mounted under the handlebars that only takes up a cm or so either side of the stem, the mono bar splits into two at the end and is a decent length. I didn't add the arm pieces, I just add some extra padding under the tape. No problem using the tops, drops or hoods, but added an extra aero option. Not something optimal for a time-trial, especially a long one, but you can definitely get into a reasonable position for that 10% of the time when you need to.

Another compromise option is the draft-legal bars but to my mind they are too short to get into a decent position.

Good luck!

Ghostie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't participate in such events - just watch them - but one thing I have noticed from mountainous triathlons with riders on full-on TT bikes, as well as many who use road bikes with clip-on bars, they spend considerable amount of time on the hoods or the drops/bars even in the brief flatter sections. I would have thought, therefore, that clip-ons would be more of a hindrance on a road bike as they would be taking up space you could use for your hands, especially if it is only a small section of the entire bike leg where you can foresee a possible use for them. Mini clip-ons might be one option though,

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you really feel the areo advantage on 22km out of 80km really worth the disadvantage of hauling the tri bars up the other side?

To be honest I'm with other posters, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with my hands near the levers especially decending at high speed presumally on open roads.

Other things to consider are what handlebars are you using and can they accept tri-bars. Is the shift of centre of gravity really worth it? Will they compromise your hand position whilst climbing? Considering the pro's in the likes of Tour de France change bikes on mountain TTs and go up on a normal set-up. Also I'm sure the leaders of the Sandman type triathlons all used a normal bikes because of the climbing.

You've kind of answered your own question, If you are looking ofr extra comfort and feel the Profiles will offer more comfort, why not go with them?

flobble replied to Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes
Royal1664]It's a long distance triathlon with the bike leg being 180km with 4400m of climbing! Hence the decision to use my road bike and the idea of clip ons as it is a non drafting race.

[quote=Yorkshie Whippet

wrote:

Do you really feel the areo advantage on 22km out of 80km really worth the disadvantage of hauling the tri bars up the other side?

Definitely. Aero is (mostly) everything. The debate about a few extra grammes is heavily overweighted  1

Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's a long distance triathlon with the bike leg being 180km with 4400m of climbing! Hence the decision to use my road bike and the idea of clip ons as it is a non drafting race.

OnTheRopes replied to Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Royal1664 wrote:

It's a long distance triathlon with the bike leg being 180km with 4400m of climbing! Hence the decision to use my road bike and the idea of clip ons as it is a non drafting race.

Now you have qualified your reason I think it is a fair idea. I have never used tri bars so cannot offer any advice and I have never felt the need on alpine descents but for those long straight descents you get through the valleys often over many kilometres I can absolutely see the point.
If I was doing a triathlon or time trial in such a situation I would absolutely be considering these.

Edit: But then you have to consider the long climbs too. Additional weight waving around on the bars. Not looked at either but I would be considering the lighter one.

Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am happy with the idea of covering my brakes during sections containing hairpins but there is a section towards the end of the race which drops for about 22Km and is very open and fast

glynr36 replied to Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Royal1664 wrote:

I am happy with the idea of covering my brakes during sections containing hairpins but there is a section towards the end of the race which drops for about 22Km and is very open and fast

Well chances are if it's a 'real race' you won't be allowed the aero bars, and if it's a sportive theres every chance they won't allow you to ride with them on too.

Personally I can't think of anything worse than descending on aero bars though, you'll have to re do your fit and adjust reach and set back etc. to be 'comfortable' for a 22km section?
Just save the money and you'll be fine.

southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're descending at speed down the Alps you might want to have your hands covering the brakes... Just saying.

The _Kaner replied to southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes
southseabythesea wrote:

If you're descending at speed down the Alps you might want to have your hands covering the brakes... Just saying.

as above...

Latest Comments