Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Desperate Canyon Fork SOS

Bought a 2nd hand Canyon frame and fork a week or so ago it's a 2011 CF F10.
Took it to the bike shop for the build and they just rung back to let me know the fork is shot, previous owner and seller has cracked the top of the steerer tube. It's unrideable.
I'm booked to fly to Spain with the bike in 10 days. Nightmare.
So, can anybody help? Sell me a canyon fork, lend or hire me one, gawd knows. It's a long shot but I thought I'd try...
Spoke to canyon uk, they might be able to help but not for a while.
Bummer..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd open a dispute with ebay/paypal, send it back and get your money

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

No photos on the listing and very clearly written 'No Cracks'. Whether he knew it was there when He sent it I don't know. I didn't spot it when I received, I didn't really look at it too closely as always intended using my current fork but was told it wasn't going to work. It was the guys at the shop I took it too to build it up that spotted it.
The sellers claiming I did it when I've attempted to fit a stem but I've not touched the thing.
I may have a possible solution otherwise is full scale EBay dispute unfortunately, ball ache central.

notenoughbikes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ebay/Paypal will always err on the side of the buyer - raise a dispute with them over the fork - that's clear abuse by the seller, not a shipping mishap.

Were there any photos of the affected area on the listing? If they carefully avoided it you could possibly use that as evidence that they were aware of the defect.

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's turning into a right EBay nightmare. The seller is stating that it wasn't like that when he sent it. I hav'nt touched the thing!
Here's the crack, to of caused a crack like this from me initially installing a stem I would of had to of fitted the thing with a hammer drill. It could of only been caused by overtightning and then long periods of riding.
This is without a doubt the last time I buy a second hand carbon frame!!

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Describe the crack to me....

Could be away around it depending on its orientation, size etc.

Absolutely not recommended by anyone with any sense, but certain carbon bungs can provide a certain amount of structural support... hang on, scrap that, just remembers that Canyone use a different system, so any crack is likely to in far to vulnerable position.

As you were... sorry.

Latest Comments