Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Front Bike Lights Recommendations

I am just in the market for a front bike light as I will soon be getting a refund on my Lezyne Deca Drive after a few problems. I do need quite a bright light (probably at or above 1000 lumens based on my experience with the deca drive) as I will be using it for cycling dark country lanes that do not have any street lights as where I live is quite rural. I have looked at a number of options and can't quite make my mind up. My budget would be a max of around £150.

I have considered a number of option such as the Lezyne Mega Drive, Cat eye 1200 and the following magicshine light (can't find much on information on this)

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/magicshine-mj-872-1600-lumens-flood-beam-b...

I am aware that another discussion is going on in another post on brightness of lights, but in my case I really do need something reasonably bright with a good beam spread.

What are people using, could anyone recommend a good light for my scenario?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Reg Molehusband | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use my Petzl Tikka XP 2 headtorch clipped onto a handlebar bracket that I adapted. Has steady/flash modes in both white or red light, so could also be used as a rear light. It saved me having to buy one and it's adequate for town/city riding, although I would probably need a more powerful one with a greater beam of light if I was out in the sticks.

Ramz | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride dark country lanes and the Lezyne mega is perfect. On narrow lanes I shine it fairly high up just to slightly blind oncoming drivers (it makes them stop/use passing places) but you could compromise your safety for their convenience if you wanted and shine the light down. The light has 'cutouts' on the side so you are visible at a wide angle.

horizontal dropout | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hehe walk your talk! I just bought a Philips. Just remembered my current front light is failing.

Philips still list these on their website http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BF48L20BALXM/saferide/overview

Where did you get that they are no longer making them?

0 likes

Oldstrath, thanks for the heads up about availability of the Philips light.

The point about cutoff beams versus symmetric beams is that if the light is angled correctly you can see a long way ahead without blinding people. With symmetric beam you have to "dip" the beam which means you get a very bright spot close to you and not much light further away. So yes you would in effect ride your bike on dipped beam all the time.

The guy whose review I linked to (second link) is a bike light geek and he says it's the best light for on road use he has ever seen. Downsides - it's bigger and heavier than some and it has a rather bright lens surround that you are advised to tape over to stop backlight.

I've been putting off actually buying a Philips because I'm not sure it is ideal for me - mostly local not very long rides at night. I'm probably better to stick with my head torch and secondary handlebar blinky and invest in a couple of packs of Eneloops for the occasional longer night ride.

STATO | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you get an ebay or chinese light, make sure you dont get one with the exploding battery option...

Thread from 2012 but there was one last month and quite a few others too. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-warning-lights-bought-off-eb...

gthornton101 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Exposure for me make the best lights of the "proper" brands, but I also have a Creebay mounted on my handlebars.

The battery pack is negligible mounted under the stem, only downside is the huge length of cable that needs wrapping round my handlebars from the light itself. If you go down that route I'd recommend getting the beam spreader lens (~£5 on ebay too) which helps to focus the light down at the road and less waste up in the air.

MuddyGoose | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of CREE based torches that I mount to my bars as front lights. These have removable 18650 batteries, so you can take spares with you and you can choose your own battery (capacity and brand etc - I got these - http://amzn.to/1AEz4X2) and charger.

On full power they provide plenty of light for riding on un-lit roads and I also ride mtb with them. I get them from aliexpress, delivery takes a while but you get a good price. Mine is like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UltraFire-WF-501B-501B-CREE-XM-L2-XML2-U2... - I prefer the 1 mode version; simply on or off.

If you get a charger like this one - http://amzn.to/1vYx4ol - it'll do a great job on your rechargeable AA and AAA batteries too.

The key to doing lights this way is getting a bar mount style that suits you. My preference is this type - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/360-Bike-Cycling-MTB-Flashlight-Mount-Bic... - the ratchet mount to the bars and rubber/quick release for the flashlight is a good combo.

SilverMerlin | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, learning a lot. I like the idea of a mid price range light. Spent quite a while looking on torchy's site last night. For me at least it is probably worth while going for something along the lines of the fluxient brand or torchy's own brand. I think the battery and charger are going to be better quality.

People call them Cree lights as the LED bulb is made by Cree and is similar in most lights from the cheapest on ebay to the most expensive brands. But it seems to be the charger and battery that is the difference and these aren't made by Cree at all the only make the LED. The battery and charger might not be quite as good in a cheap ebay special.

Anyone as well as WelshBoy had any experience of fluxient or torchy's own brand stuff?

Building up quite a good thread here hopefully be useful for lots of other in the same boat as me.

caaad10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cateye volt 300, I have used more powerful lights but in my experience it's all you need, and the battery life is good, plus you can carry a spare. To add to that it is small and relatively cheap. I got mine as a backup to a nanoshot plus but the little 300 has become my light of choice.

I live in the middle of nowhere with no street lighting or traffic whatsoever, and I find in these conditions a hyper bright light simply isn't necessary, if anything the light reflection is more of an issue & you end up, in effect, dazzling yourself.

With the hype out there it's hard to believe this is the case, and I'm sure someone will chip in with 'mines bigger and better than yours', but FWIW I have found the volt 300 to be all I need.

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Before you decide, have a look at this http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html. I bought a Fluxient XM-L2 and it is far better than the Cree light it replaced.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hadn't charged my Cree for a few days and it packed up on me tonight with about 40 mins to go. My back up light isn't strong enough for unlit roads but I had to make do. I would make sure you have a battery light front and rear as well as rechargeable ones.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I also like the rubber connecting ring as I can have full beam on the section with no other bikes or cars then dip it to avoid blinding anyone, I also like being able to quickly switch to strobe if I think it helps.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought an ebay special with external battery at the start of the winter and so far it has been excellent for commuting, only complaint is that when the battery runs out the indicator light turns from green to red and seems after that it goes quickly. Therefore I also have a smaller AA battery light that I keep for emergency.

either that or just remember to charge it up more often than I do  39

0 likes

You could consider a Philips Saferide 80. It conforms to German lighting standards so it has a horizontal beam cut off - like car headlights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?287452-Philips-LED-bi...
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#Philips...

I'm thinking of buying one. Currently I use a 10 watt Cree in a head torch. A head torch has the advantage that you can light up the bits that you want to see and you can bow your head to avoid blinding people, etc.

oldstrath replied to horizontal dropout | 9 years ago
0 likes
horizontal dropout wrote:

You could consider a Philips Saferide 80. It conforms to German lighting standards so it has a horizontal beam cut off - like car headlights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?287452-Philips-LED-bi...
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#Philips...

I'm thinking of buying one. Currently I use a 10 watt Cree in a head torch. A head torch has the advantage that you can light up the bits that you want to see and you can bow your head to avoid blinding people, etc.

You'll struggle with that - Phillips have stopped making them, and there are not many left for sale (none at Rosebikes, some at Amazon inside the OP's budget). It is indeed like a car dipped beam headlight (less bright, but similar shape). Now, do you only drive your car on dipped beam? If not, that may suggest a problem. Great in well-lit places and on cycle paths, less good on dark, hilly, windy roads.

SilverMerlin | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Guys. Very keen on the Cree lights. I like you ideas and always enjoy a bit of a hack! Just A few questions (apologies if these are really simple) but:

- Matt Eaton - did you have to fit another cable to get it to reach the bottle or was the one supplied long enough ( I like the idea of the battery being in a bottle holder rather than on the frame or stem in a bag).

- DanTe - I imagine the batteries for the lights would be a bit poor (the whole set is only around £20 or so). So the battery idea is a good one, how long a use do you get with lights and how do you attach the lights from the headtorch to the frame.

One thing that worries me with these and many other lights is that a rubber o ring is used to attach to the handlebars. Does it provide a good grip or do they move around a lot when out cycling.

Any other lights in use still interested.

Matt eaton replied to SilverMerlin | 9 years ago
0 likes
SilverMerlin wrote:

Thanks Guys. Very keen on the Cree lights. I like you ideas and always enjoy a bit of a hack! Just A few questions (apologies if these are really simple) but:

- Matt Eaton - did you have to fit another cable to get it to reach the bottle or was the one supplied long enough ( I like the idea of the battery being in a bottle holder rather than on the frame or stem in a bag).

- DanTe - I imagine the batteries for the lights would be a bit poor (the whole set is only around £20 or so). So the battery idea is a good one, how long a use do you get with lights and how do you attach the lights from the headtorch to the frame.

One thing that worries me with these and many other lights is that a rubber o ring is used to attach to the handlebars. Does it provide a good grip or do they move around a lot when out cycling.

Any other lights in use still interested.

No additional cable required with the set I have. The only minor frustration is that both the light itself and the battery have quite long cables which then join in the middle. I think it would be improved by having one long cable, either on the light or the battery rather than a joining in the middle.

The rubber ring works well for me. I've raced 'cross with it and had no problems. It might be different if you ride DH MTB in the dark I suppose. The nice thing is that you can easily dip the light if you're feeling polite as it's not bolted to your bars.

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 more for the crees. I've found that the ones specified as bike lights with 4 batteries in a pvc case that attach by Velcro tend to have terrible grade batteries. I buy the head torch versions that take 2 and adapt them. I always buy decent quality 18650 batteries and a good charger. I've had mine 2+ years and they're great.
I sold my magicshine..

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for eBay lights.

I'm not keen on the battery pack that came with mine but I've now got it in a modified bottle in one of my bottle cages which works a treat.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you an objection to a battery pack? There are any number of Cree lights on Ebay for around £20-£25, I've got two and they are more than I need for unlit country roads. The battery pack hangs under the stem, and once it is in place it's fine. I can't understand why anyone would pay any more.

I also have a Moon something or other, about the size of a matchbox, USB rechargeable. I usually have this one on flash and the CREE on steady.

I would really recommend having two lights front and rear; I haven't had one suddenly run out of charge yet but I lose sleep about it happening!

Latest Comments