Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BBC2 Programme on a tougher than tough Scottish Audax

The BBC Scotland Adventure Programme has just broadcast a special edition dedicated to a 1300km audax around the coast of Scotland. If you ever wanted to feel inspired, just watch it on I-Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v5hhh

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Loved it! I've not even gotten my first bloody road bike yet. (Not counting my 6 speed Peugeot!) I've been an avid MTB'er but always followed the road bike scene from afar, Le Tour etc, not going to be able to take delivery of my 2015 Giant Defy 0 until mid February, but I'm already planning miles of pain and hurt. Wish me luck!  4

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

and what's the etiquette re applying chamois cream in public?

Coming to a sportive near you soon?  1

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

(apart from Assos girl, obv)

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Great programme on the whole.

BUT.

no matter how hot it is, no matter what amazing feats you are achieving...

BIBS WITHOUT A JERSEY IS *NEVER* ACCEPTABLE.

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Most inspired I've been by one of these programs in a long while, really fancy this for 2016 once I've cleared up my various injuries and put some hours in.

I was surprised at their average speeds though, 10 miles an hour at times, seemed slow? Understandable with luggage I suppose, is it against the spirit to plan around booked accommodation?

marcusjb replied to IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward wrote:

Most inspired I've been by one of these programs in a long while, really fancy this for 2016 once I've cleared up my various injuries and put some hours in.

I was surprised at their average speeds though, 10 miles an hour at times, seemed slow? Understandable with luggage I suppose, is it against the spirit to plan around booked accommodation?

Wasn't aware the program gave any details on average speeds, but there's a wide range of speeds and approaches on this, or any other, Audax event. I am mid-field and will typically roll along at about 14-16 mph depending on terrain. Obviously, those that can rip along at high speed can have better nights sleep (the Swedes) and those that move slower will struggle to get much sleep at all.

Most of us were riding to booked accommodation each night - two or three people with bivvies etc. were not, but most had everything sorted out in advance due to the sparsity of facilities once you get up into the meat of the ride.

marcusjb replied to IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward wrote:

Wasn't aware the program gave any details on average speeds, but there's a wide range of speeds and approaches on this, or any other, Audax event. I am mid-field and will typically roll along at about 14-16 mph depending on terrain. Obviously, those that can rip along at high speed can have better nights sleep (the Swedes) and those that move slower will struggle to get much sleep at all.

Most of us were riding to booked accommodation each night - two or three people with bivvies etc. were not, but most had everything sorted out in advance due to the sparsity of facilities once you get up into the meat of the ride.

alotronic | 9 years ago
0 likes

That one was a little unrepresentative of the female Audax population. There are a good few women on most rides and some of them are seriously accomplished. Judith springs to mind - she missed the Scottish event as she was riding another 1200km event somewhere else in the world. The 'woman of Audax' would be a very interesting and inspiring program.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

buddy of mine has done the pbp (1300 ish km too) in something like 73 hours ...
they're all bonkers .... kipping in phone boxes, public loos ...

chapeau to the lot of em and long may they continue ...  1

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Watched it this afternoon, these guys, and it is all guys, are magnificent nutters.

Latest Comments