Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lightweight rain jacket replacement

Okay so I came off at the weekend, fractured elbow and pro-style road rash on my hip but worst of all put holes in overshoes, tights and rain jacket.  20 Bike has minor scuffs but no significant damage. Clearly I will heal but the kit won't!

So, jacket first, I was wearing my Sportful Hotpack 4 jacket which suits my riding pretty well. I don't feel the need for something properly waterproof as if it was going to be raining steadily for hours I would either not go out or (less likely) apply Rule 5. Occasionally it would get a bit clammy inside but I have not been cold in it.

Should I just get the latest version of that as a replacement or do people know of something better?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Freddy56 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the above gotta check out Galibier's tourmalet jacket. Got caught today in a one hour teaming rain and arrived home warm and dry. Breaths great and will roll up just about in pocket, thou it has replaced my winter jacket as I wear the jacket out with base layer.

SilverMerlin | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am in a similar position after a reasonably lightweight packable waterproof jacket. Alway been impressed with Planet X stuff, very good quality and usually quite inexpensive. Just wondered if anyone had the PlanetX aquapro rain jacket:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXAPRJ/planet-x-aquapro-rain-jacket

Just wondered about how well it works and if it would be packable in a jersey pocket. Also interested in the Endura Helium.

RebornBumbler | 9 years ago
0 likes

I fixed my Vaude jacket after an off with McNett Tenacious tape (worth buying some just for the name...) - so far it's still in place and waterproof.

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

Galibier Tourmalet. Right in your price range (£52). Great fitting, packs up well is breathable (4k) and water proof (7k). Keeps the wind at bay also...

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

This one is bit like a gabba, but more like a jacket. Nice and breathable and surprisingly waterproof for a softshell

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sportful/bodyfit-pro-windstopper-jac...

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, Gabba would be lovely but out of my price range (£50ish). Plus it makes you think if one fall wrecks it is spending £150+ on a winter jacket such a good idea?!
Something like the Hot Pack is a year round standby so perhaps makes more sense.  39
Anyway, turbo only for me for a while!

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

One more vote for the Gabba. Or perhaps even beter the Castelli Alpha Jacket (not the Alpha jersey). Similar material to the gabba but more of a jacket.

Also worth considering the astelli pocket Liner if you want a fuly waterproof breathable nice snug fitting cape style jacket. Does ot fit in a pcket though and expensive.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wiggle have the womens version of the 4 for just £28. I wonder what the fit is like for a bloke ? You can buy two for the price of the 5.

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I cannot recommend the Castelli Gabba highly enough. It's the go to piece of Winter kit for me.
Sure it's expensive and it's not a jacket but once the rain gets heavy enough to go through it you'd need the kind of jacket that would make you sweat like billy'o anyway.
A layer or two of merino keeps you warm it the wet gets through and I'd much rather that, than the cold, clammy, boil in a bag vibe. Plus it dosn't hold you back from getting a shift on.
One word of warning though, definitely try it on first. It's a racy fit. I'm no bodybuilder these days but the fit on the biceps is tight, very tight.
Worth every penny. I got it from Bikeinn for about £30 less than the rest..

DaveG | 9 years ago
0 likes

Endura xtract, which road cc kindly reviewed, is my choice. It won't survive a spill, mine already has a patched elbow, but it keeps me dry and doesn't seem too clammy (but in this weather who can tell!).

le Bidon | 9 years ago
0 likes

I really like the Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Cape. It's lightweight and breathable, but also impressively waterproof.

Did 145 miles earlier in the year in the pi**ing rain in it and it held up fantastically well. Should be able to find it for £50-60.

Latest Comments