Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mudguard problems - any ideas?

I've been running SKS Commuter mudguards for the past 2 months but in that time the rear mudguard has literally snapped clean in half in three places and the front mudguard has snapped clean in half in one place.

On the rear mudguard, the rivets on the rear section have also come away from the actual mudguard so the mudguard is flapping loose (only held on thanks to the gaffa tape I used to fixed the earlier breaks)

I'm guessing one of the following three things;

- (a) SKS Commuter mudguards are actually made of cheese and are useless
- (b) The roads where I live are so rough that any mudguard will break
- (c) I've mounted them wrong and this has caused the repeated failures

Anyone got any ideas?

p.s. Bike has full mudguard mountings and plenty of clearance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Tintow | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fitted the Tortec Reflectors today - I've just discovered what happened to the guy that used to create the Krypton Factor puzzles - he went on to develop mudguard fittings  20

Seriously tricky to fo fit but look really good once fitted. They feel really sturdy and don't seem to rattle as much as the SKS ones

Going out tomorrow and hoping for less rattle and no breakage!

Tintow | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice - my new Tortec Reflectors arrived today so I'll fit them tomorrow and let you know how I get on !

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Riveted guards will eventually fall apart. These are almost indestructible -

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m:part-primoplastic-mudguard-set-700c-prod35071/

I had a black cab rear end me at walking speed the other week, rear wheel buckled, mudguard popped out of it's quick release stays, put them back in and completely undamaged!

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Haven't has a single issue with my SKS P35's yet. Pain in the arse to initially fit them, but no vibration or movement yet. Couldn't ask for anything more than that.

Pub bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had Tortec on my commuter bike which lasted maybe 8 years until they got thoroughly cracked by work bike stands. I recently replaced them with the very sturdy SKS P45 which I expect will last just as long  1 I riveted the old front mud-flap onto the new rear after shortening it so that it fits in work bike stands without there being any pressure on the mudguard.

Tintow | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the feedback guys - i feel strangely better that I'm not alone in having problems with these  1
I was looking at the Axiom Rainrunner deluxe http://road.cc/content/review/74762-axiom-rainrunner-deluxe-reflex-mudgu... but the Tortec look just as good and are cheaper - thanks for the tip

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

had sks chromoplastics fitted to a selection of bikes over the years and
never had a problem. If you've got the clearance and fittings I'd say go for the
full versions.

Steveal | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tintow, a, b and c I think! I recently had to gaffa tape my rear sks commuter as it cracked in two places. I then ran over something when not paying proper attention in the dark (i had lights on so no excuse), whatever it was flicked up and concertina'd the entire guard like scrunched up paper. I've now had to replace with a cheap pair from a lbs. The only thing I can think was the problem that they don't handle mechanical stresses when not set up perfectly... I had sheared the seat stay bolt off last summer taking them off which meant I had to fashion a clip which probably wasn't spot on and the stresses caused them to fracture. You live and you learn!

Dr_Lex | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had almost the identical problem with SKS on my pompetamine, although it was only the rear that was fissioning. I, too, switched to Tortec reflectors last year and have not suffered the same problem.
(Re-used the stays and the larger rear mudflap, thereby demonstrating that the Tortec 'guard is stronger.)

SamShaw | 9 years ago
0 likes

Plus one for the Tortec Reflectors. They have an angular profile, rather than a curved shape (like Blumels etc), which may give them a bit of extra rigidity?

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, can't answer your question.

Have had Tortec Reflector full length guards on the winter bike for 5 years now. They've been used in all weathers, had tons of mud, water and good dose of salt thrown at them and, despite infrequent washing, are still in great nick.

http://road.cc/content/review/2716-tortec-reflector-mudguards

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought whyte mudguards, they are aluminium coated in plastic, have great fixings and have been solid so far this winter. The bike still gets filthy but I don't  1

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

My rear lasted 12 rides before snapping. I think the problem is the fact that they only have one stay which leaves a long section of guard between the frame fixing point and the stay which flexes too much. I have just ordered a new set which have the traditional 2 sets of stays.

Latest Comments