Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon- RS11 wheel flexing into brakes

Not a problem I'm unfamiliar with, the old Fulcrum 7 wheels on my CAAD9 used to do the same, but a little extra tension on the spokes seemed to solve it. On my 2015 Carbon Synapse, the RS11 wheels seem to flex into the brakes with the gentlest of out of saddle efforts. I like my brake pads quite far away from the rim as well so that's not the issue.

Before I go and tension the spokes beyond their limits, is this a frame flex issue or are RS11s typically flexy?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought a pair of Swissside Franc Evo 3 27mm deep alloy clinchers. I have yet to ride them, but the quality appears to be top-notch, and reviews compare them favourably to Dura-Ace C24s, with the stiffness supposedly a very strong point. With 20% off (until year end), I paid £276.

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mmm... they do look nice, maybe a toss up between the RS81 C24s, the Fulcrum Racing 5s/Quattros, or some handbuilt Archetype rims on a suitably nice hub.

Anyway, best let this thread die off now, will be a couple of months before I start spending on new wheels! Thanks all

harman_mogul | 9 years ago
0 likes

More to the point, RS-81s.

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yikes, better start saving now then... handbuilt or Fulcrums, hmm...

ajmarshal1 replied to IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward wrote:

Yikes, better start saving now then... handbuilt or Fulcrums, hmm...

Have a look at Racing Quattros. I race on Sciroccos (same wheels) and they're plenty stiff.

jamtartman | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had RS10s that displayed similar flex. Tightening the spokes only led them (the spokes) breaking more often (and they broke a lot!). Bite the bullet and get better wheels.

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, apologies monty Dog, poorly written title on my part!

AJMarshal, I don't weigh myself often but seem to fluctuate between 83-86kg, although relatively lean! Hard to know if that is considered 'heavy' by road cycling standards.

Anyway, can't ride at the moment so won't be able to test it for a week or two, maybe time to research building my own rear wheel.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's the frame that's carbon, not the wheels.

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

The construction of many carbon wheels i.e. narrow hub flanges, deep rims and shallow-angle spokes makes lateral stiffness a challenge. Best get someone with a spoke tension meter to check/tension the wheels rather than simply winding up the spoke key - carbon rims like even tension.

ajmarshal1 replied to monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes
monty dog wrote:

The construction of many carbon wheels i.e. narrow hub flanges, deep rims and shallow-angle spokes makes lateral stiffness a challenge. Best get someone with a spoke tension meter to check/tension the wheels rather than simply winding up the spoke key - carbon rims like even tension.

Fulcrum R7s and Shimano RS11s are shallow / medium profile aluminium....

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

How heavy are you? I only ask as I have some Fulcrum R7s with about 8,000 miles in them, they have never required trueing and the only time they rub is during hard cornering. I'm 80kg when at my absolute heaviest and not exactly shy on the watts.

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh well, just to follow up on my own thread, it has been pointed out to me that I am unlikely to be putting out more power than Peter Sagan, so it will not be a frame flex issue!

Apparently spoke tension also makes little difference, so I may not achieve anything by tightening the spokes.

Time to back the brake pads off a bit further until I can afford a stiffer wheel then!

Latest Comments