Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike help cycle to work

Afternoon all

Our cycle to work scheme is nearly here again, and as n+1 is the optimal number can anybody help with recommendations based on my requirements.

1. Disc brakes

2. 28c or plus

3. Full mudguard able to be fitted, clip on style not an option (ability to mount a rack would be a bonus)

4. 105, 11 speed would be ideal (I already have Campag and SRAM)

5. Preferably a road bike not a CX, I already have a Boardman CX Team

This is to become a full on winter bike, happy with Aluminium or Steel.

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

BrokenBootneck | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am torn at the moment, but the Synapse has always been on my Short list, also like the GT Grade and the Fuji mentioned, but the price has gone back up on that. I really want more of road bike than a do anything bike as I have my Boardman CX Team, although that might go back for a refund. Decisions decisions!

ugunt | 9 years ago
0 likes

I recently bought the Cannondale Synapse alloy 105 (2015 model) and can recommend it for commuting. I use it with sks raceblades as mudguards.
Lots of standard components as on all these bicycles (shimano up and down), but this one was put together nicely. Good frame, the best I ever had, it does absorb the bumps very nicely. The disc brakes are good, even for a heavier cyclist. Noy as strong as some Deore Hydraulics that I have used, but enough t block the wheeels, and much simpler.

This replaces my 10year old Ridgeback Genesis Day 03 with many thousands of miles. A bit of a stepchange, but doesn't make me faster.

ugunt | 9 years ago
0 likes

I recently bought the Cannondale Synapse alloy 105 (2015 model) and can recommend it for commuting. I use it with sks raceblades as mudguards.
Lots of standard components as on all these bicycles (shimano up and down), but this one was put together nicely. Good frame, the best I ever had, it does absorb the bumps very nicely. The disc brakes are good, even for a heavier cyclist. Noy as strong as some Deore Hydraulics that I have used, but enough t block the wheeels, and much simpler.

This replaces my 10year old Ridgeback Genesis Day 03 with many thousands of miles. A bit of a stepchange, but doesn't make me faster.

scale70 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I picked up the Fuji Sportif 1.3 D 2015 last week. Really pleased with it - lovely looking bike.

A slight upgrade to the Fuji Sportif 1.1 D 2015 would meet the OPs original requirements, i.e. 105 groupset, disc brakes, 28mm tyres, can take mudguards. Ideal winter training bike.

Only £800 too, so well within c-2-w voucher budgets.

BrokenBootneck replied to scale70 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good call, I will have a proper look at this one!

Blissy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Picked up the GT Grade alloy 105 tonight, looking forward to getting out on it at the weekend

Blissy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok, stretching the budget a touch to the scheme limit +/- £100, it's heads or tails between GT Grade alloy 105 or Specialized Roubiax Disk 2014, which is in the sales, but for what is still an expensive bike has Sora. Considering that you can get alu bike in the sales with sora for just over £400.

Carbon frame or better brakes and gears? There would be no £ for upgrading parts for a long time!

I like the looks of both, I know the camo on the grade is an opinion splitter but I like the individual touch.

What to do ...

Blissy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that Simon. I'll hit the shops after Christmas and see which I like the look and feel of. Interestingly both Evans and Leuisure Lakes said the Diverge was the one to try. Hopefully that's a sign of the bike regard rather than a better margin.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Blissy, there are no real duds nowadays. I think you should visit shops selling these bikes and check them out in the flesh. You'll probably find doing that helps you make a decision more than anything else.

Also:
http://road.cc/content/news/121785-first-ride-gt-grade
http://road.cc/content/review/110792-whyte-dorset-commuterroad-bike
(yes it's the Dorset but very similar)

Blissy | 9 years ago
0 likes

After some more reading and searching I've confused myself further with another two models taking the list to:

GT Grade (Claris or sora)
Specialized Diverge (racing road)
Whyte Sussex
Norco Search S3

I'm not familiar with the tech lingo, they all look nice and the marketing blurbs seem to fit what I need the bike for. Anything obvious that would assist in ruling any of these in or out? I'm lost

Blissy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had a similar search but looking for bike and guards all in around the £850 mark. More flexible about what groupset as anything will improve on my 12 year old mountain bike. Currently like the look of GT Grade and Specialized Diverge. Anyone had any experience of either or opinions ?

Thanks in advance

0 likes

Anyone know if Cycle Surgery allow you to top up you C2W?

Badgered | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Cannondale Synapse alloy Disc 105 comes with the 2015 11-speed 5800 groupset.
I got it last month also on the Cycle 2 Work scheme (£999.99 from Evans). It's an awesome bike. I can't believe for 1K you get 11-sp AND disc brakes!
It'll take full length mudguards but only up to 25mm tyres and that's with minimal clearance. It's so ridiculously close it looks like bad design. Not sure about rack mounts but I'll check tonight on mine.

Carter | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good point - I have the same rack on mine for the same reason!

While I maintain this is the one to pick, isn't the Charge Plug 4 just under a grand, 105 etc, etc? Might be worth considering (as a runner-up option, of course!)

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

i'd go equilibrium disc 10 for £1099
only box it doesn't tick on your list is 105 gruppo...

re: planet x - they charge a 10% admin fee depending on what scheme you're on.

fukawitribe replied to bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes
bigshape wrote:

i'd go equilibrium disc 10 for £1099
only box it doesn't tick on your list is 105 gruppo...

re: planet x - they charge a 10% admin fee depending on what scheme you're on.

That might because, depending on what scheme you're on, the scheme charges that 'admin' fee (mine charged 10%) all of which are frankly extortionate IMO. From the Planet-X website (http://www.planetx.co.uk/cycle-scheme).

Quote:

An admin fee of 10% applies with cyclescheme.co.uk, On Your Bike and Bike2work vouchers, as well as Salary Extras. A 12% fee applies with Cycle Plus vouchers and a 12.5% fee applies with the NHS SME HCI scheme.

All of these third-party organisations charge us a fee on each bike we supply to a customer for administering the scheme on behalf of your employer. We pass this exact charge on to you without adding anything extra ourselves because our pricing is too low to absorb it. The additional charge DOES NOT APPLY if an employer is paying us directly for the bike.

0 likes

I might drop Planet X a line, I have family near the shop so I can visit them and kill two birds with one stone

mzungu | 9 years ago
0 likes

I couldn't decide what I needed this year. I've ended up ordering a Brompton  39

Carter | 9 years ago
0 likes

You might give Planet X a look - I'm very happy with my Kaffenback, the London Road isn't uninteresting either.
Custom builds are usually an option, so you could talk costs for 105 if that's the deal-breaking point for you.

HTH

bikebot replied to Carter | 9 years ago
0 likes
Carter wrote:

You might give Planet X a look - I'm very happy with my Kaffenback, the London Road isn't uninteresting either.
Custom builds are usually an option, so you could talk costs for 105 if that's the deal-breaking point for you.

HTH

I built a bike up around the Kaffenback frame, and it's an absolute bargain. A word of warning, you will need to pick carefully to fit guards and rack at the back as the calipers are mounted on the seat stays. I used an axiom streamliner rack, which sets everything back a few centimetres, and that also helps with pannier/foot clearance for the short chainstays.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

To get 105 10/11speed you're going to have to go over the £1k threshold unless you manage to blag a sales bike or get a good retailer like me who did a £1100 bke for £1000 cause the first choice bike wasn't available for 6 weeks. I got a Forma Culver CX Sport like this.
10sp 105, Avid discs, rack and guards and comes with 32c CX tyres as standard but I now run 28c Conti 4Seasons. Apart from being white and showing every little dirt/mud splash I've got no complaints with it.

http://www.formebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/road/calvercxsport

E27006 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Btwin nework 700 Shimano Alfine 8-speed hub gear as reviewed in the forum,
hub gears are weatherproof for Winter riding.

http://road.cc/content/review/135516-btwin-nework-700-city-bike

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, the advice on the Evans question page is certainly contradictory!

One of the reasons I chose the Whyte was because you can get Whyte-designed model specific mudguards for it (and still have 28mm tyres), no fannying about trying to get SKS ones to fit. Think they're about £35.

Also on my list was the GT Grade Alloy 105 and the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10, but the Whyte seemed to be the best all round proposition for me.

0 likes

Hopefully in the January sales the Suffolk will be reduced.

ref the Cannondale

I asked the question on the Evans website. Answer below. Please let me know how you get on though.

STAFF
No - you will have to consider some clip-on mudguards instead like the SKS Race Blade XL.
Products related to my answer

SKS Race Blade XL
4 out of 5
7 hours ago
Mills
helpful0unhelpful0(Report inappropriate content)

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ah, on reading properly I realise you already mentioned the Whyte.  1

If you definitely can't go over the C2W limit then the Dorset is basically the same bike but with a 9 speed Tiagra/Sora mix.

11 speed 105 is definitely worth the extra £200 though...

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you can put another £200 in on top of C2W, the Whyte Suffolk ticks all your boxes. I get mine in a couple of weeks.

Kauto | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 on the 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc (11sp). I have one and have been told it will take full mudguards so ordered some SKS Chromoplastics and waiting for them to arrive. Currently on 25mm but looking at getting some 28mm 4Seasons if they will fit. Fingers crossed

0 likes

Cheers, I looked at them, but no Disc brake, and it comes with 23c tyres. The Whyte Suffolk looks good, but just a bit to pricey.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Take a look at ribble winter bikes

0 likes

The Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 Disc 2015 ticked nearly all the boxes, except the mudguards and it comes with 25s, but will take 28's I think!  2

Pages

Latest Comments