Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Indexing issue

This is driving me berserk. On my spangly new Park stand the gears are perfect and shift seamlessly (one year old Forme Ax Edge Pro with Ultegra 10 sp cassette). Mount up and pedal away and I miss changes up and down - not always on the same shift - and only 1:20 probably go awry. What might be wrong?

I'm new to bikes (after 30 years away) but have been known to strip and rebuild an engine with impunity so not a complete novice.

MT

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

allanj | 9 years ago
0 likes

Even better!

Mother Theresa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Actually it never worked properly so with this and a proper bike fit applied to it it is a new machine to me. Hurrah!  36

0 likes

Just to complete this I have finally got round to changing the cable and it is almost perfect so thanks to all who commented.

MT

allanj replied to Mother Theresa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Glad to hear it, so nice to have it all working again, isn't it.

SilverMerlin | 9 years ago
0 likes

To the OP are you easing off pedaling when you change gear. This can make a big difference.

I am new to road biking myself and had a similar problem with my bike on the front mech - the gears would change effortlessly on the bike stand but would be flaky out on the road. If you are happy that your derailleurs are set up correctly and the cable is sufficiently tight then It could be your technique rather than equipment is worth a try.

DaveE128 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I suspect the problem is the cable, and in my experience it's most likely to be in the loop that runs round to the rear mech, (as it has the sharpest bends and is subjected to a lot of muck) but I'd change the whole lot if you can be bothered.

The fact that the problem is with the highest gears is due to the fact that this is when the cable tension is lowest, so that is when friction (from tired cables) becomes most significant relative to cable force.

I've found that tired cables can seem fine on the stand but erratic on these gears on the road/trail. I think that the extra load on the chain when actually pedalling the bike along is enough to make the difference between shifting and not shifting.

If you have external cable routing you can check the cable by shifting to the highest gear (smallest sprocket) then without moving the pedals, shift the shifter into the lowest gear, so the inner cable goes slack. Now unhitch the outer cable from the frame stops, and you can slide it up and down to assess the friction. You can also use this opportunity to help move a little light lubrication along the inside of the cable outer to give a quick temporary improvement.

0 likes

I'm not sure I know what you mean here, the chain stops perfectly at 1 & 10 with no over-runs if you mean the travel limiting screws. Apart from the actual cable clamping screw I don't remember any more but am at work so not able to look at it just now.

JonD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone mentioned the outer/small cog side screw stop ? - if that's out then you'll never get shifting spot on. My recumbent has a longish enclosed cable run, and like a few others - possibly with bar end shifters - seems particularly sensitive. Make sure there's no cable tension when setting it, tho.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Try not to get mugged into paying a million pounds for cables; there are different price points but it's better to be able to change them when they are worn rather than thinking 'I paid a million pounds for these cables, they'll do for another month'...

0 likes

Thank-you all.

Are all cables created equal? Not unsurprisingly there isn't a buyers guide here or elsewhere for gear/brake cables.

MT

allanj | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just put a new cable on my bike, the difference is unbelievable. Shifting seemed erratic before, now I realise that it was also stiff and rough. So much better with a new cable!

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a wiggle of your cassette. Might be a bit of play in the freehub. Got exactly this problem at the minute in the middle of a week on the bike in S.Spain.
Maybe check that the cassette is tightened on properly?

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

99% of shifting problems are related to cabling, not chains. The current fashion for checking chains has only been around for a couple of years, and everyone managed perfectly well for the last 30 or so years without changing chains every two minutes. (I have cassettes and chains that get run into the ground, and indexing is never a problem , however worn they are.)

Try new cables, and most importantly, check that the loop of cable next to the rear derailleur is long enough; as the derailleur moves across the block, any lack of length can cause issues.

Also check that the cables are long enough when they are wrapped on the bars and when the bars are turned.

Re-cable without wrapping your bar tape; just stick it down with insulating tape and try it out on the road first.

0 likes

Changed the chain (0.75% stretch), no improvement.

Cables next; I'll let you know....

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Use a steel rule or tape measure. Edge to edge of 12 complete links on a tight chain should be exactly 12" or 304.8mm if you're going all metric.

Chain checkers only measure over 6" or so, so you don't get such an accurate result, and can be inaccurate for a variety of complex reasons, see http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#stretch

Charles_Hunter | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheap chain checker, will also help you fit a new chain but you'll also need a chain breaker for that. Measuring with a ruler will work too.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181571902176

0 likes

Update.

Hanger straight (see what I did there?)

Most gear change failures were from 8th to 7th and 7th to 6th. It usually failed when changing direction of shift except in 1st and 10th (so that is my poor testing technique whilst on the stand because when mindlessly going from 1-10-1 it was fine but even on the stand going from 4-3-4 for example it required two clicks to make it come back to 4) and
this was case whether going up or down.

Does this refine the diagnosis?

As a brewer's son I definitely agree with the last comment.  41

Unless any further suggestions I will do the chain 1st. I don't have a checker but Christmas is coming...

massspike replied to Mother Theresa | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mother Theresa wrote:

Unless any further suggestions I will do the chain 1st. I don't have a checker but Christmas is coming...

You can use a tape measure. When new the links align on 12". If they are stretched over 1/8", replace the chain.

Given the bike is 1 year old, I seriously doubt chain wear will have caused any other damage. A rule of thumb: 10 chains = 2 cassettes = 1 chain ring.

massspike replied to Mother Theresa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cable (imho). You could try adjusting the tension ref. Shimanos instructions or Index Setting here http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-dera...

antigee | 9 years ago
0 likes

a very comprehensive list up there - I'll save a link for next time indexing is driving me crazy and I think I've checked everything!

My 2 cents worth - I'd swop the chain - my experience and dogmatic opinion is that 10 speed chains don't last that long and depends a bit on riding style and what sort of weather but 3000kms is a fair distance depending on weather and road grit/lubrication/cleaning (I know some people will get more)
A chain checker is a cheap investment

So swop the chain? but bike shops will usually tell you if the chain is worn it will have worn the cassette/chainrings as well - some truth in that but at 1yr / 3000km I'd be a little less concerned - I understand that bike shops don't want bikes back and so replacing the cassette sort of "guarantees" it isn't going to come back (likwise overtightening pedals Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

Pretty sure on a 1year old bike it won't be the lever, last for years - could be the cable, again if ridden a lot in rain and especially on winter (salt gritted) roads

I'd vote to do the chain first (or at least get a tool and check it) and then do the cable check all the ends and for dents and give the rear mech a good clean - only thing about changing the cable is that stretch will be your enemy on indexing good luck and beer will help  3

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think this is a chain issue. As sad previously if it is worn, as well as stretching it also loses its lateral stiffness. With no resistance on the stand this doesn't matter, but on the road with the riders weight it does

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had it with a brand new Ultegra 6700 setup. Tried everything, eventually changed groupsets. It just never shifted cleanly. Was worst from about the 21 to the 17, that part of the cassette, noisy, always trying to shift up or down again all the time.

There's too much friction in the cable under the bars, I reckon, and the derailleur spring isn't strong enough to pull it across against that friction. That's the only explanation I could find, having done everything, even straightened the (straight) hanger.

By comparison the Ultegra 6600 setup with exposed cables on my winter bike worked straight off and is still working perfectly thousands of km later despite all kinds of weather. As is the Campag setup that replaced the 6700.

0 likes

Boo. This lasts one sounds expensive.

I will keep you informed.

massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the previous owner rode it heavily for 9 months, then the chain could be due for a change (3000kms is a reasonable lifetime for one). This usually makes everything run roughly (noisier) before it disrupts shifting but if you want to avoid #2 and #6 Tjuice's list check/change the chain.

massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes

FSA cranks work fine with Ultegra rear mechs.

0 likes

Strewth, lots of info there. I never knew bikes were so complicated.

I have only had the bike three months but the guy who owned it before I suspect put a lot of miles on it though it is in great nick.

The crank is FSA and the rear end ultegra, will the chain have a makers mark on it somewhere to see if there is a mismatch? That said the chap said he hadn't changed anything except tyres and brake blocks and I would hope that Forme would engineer the cables/runs etc correctly.

I'll brave the cold weather tomorrow and look very carefully at the positioning of the derailleur, or else go to Leisure lakes when my fingers freeze up.

massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes

It could also be the ratchet in the shifter itself. My Ultegra 6600 behaves a bit like yours (not all shifts work) but it has 30,000 kms on it so I put it down to slough in the mechanism. As I understand it the Shimano shifter ratchet moves 1/1.3 the distance the rear derailleur is supposed to move. If it isn't quite moving '1' unit (due to wear) the rear won't shift. As far as I know there is no way to fix/overhaul the shifter.

glynr36 replied to massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes
massspike wrote:

It could also be the ratchet in the shifter itself. My Ultegra 6600 behaves a bit like yours (not all shifts work) but it has 30,000 kms on it so I put it down to slough in the mechanism. As I understand it the Shimano shifter ratchet moves 1/1.3 the distance the rear derailleur is supposed to move. If it isn't quite moving '1' unit (due to wear) the rear won't shift. As far as I know there is no way to fix/overhaul the shifter.

I had this with a Chorus shifter as well, turns out it was on the way out and failed.
Warranty replaced, but sounds very similar to symptoms I was having.

Tjuice | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like something is only very subtly wrong, so you're probably not far off getting it right. Over the years, I have encountered a number of potential causes of similar problems. Each manifests itself in a subtly different way, so you may need a bit of trial and error. And it's not surprising that things work okay on the stand because nothing is under any real load. Applying the much bigger forces when you pedal tend to amplify the impact of any slight misalignments.
Anyhow, here are some ideas, not in any particular order:

1) Slightly bent derailleur hanger. If you find you can adjust your indexing so that it works perfectly for most of your gears but you have problems at the very top, or at the very bottom, this could well be the cause. Took me a long time to work that one out when I came across this issue (bent hanger was not at all obvious)

2) Derailleur jockey wheels overly worn (look like pointy shark teeth). Can be dangerous and cause chain to jump, especially under load. I've spread myself across the road as a result of this in the past.

3) Using brake sheaths instead of gear sheaths around the gear cables. They are different and will compress in different ways

4) Gear cables being forced around some overly tight corners. Can cause gear cables not to move freely within the sheaths and get a bit stuck.

5) Slightly sticky chain links in one point. Make sure every chain link can flex freely

6) Deformed chain rings (or cogs on the cassette). If the chain is getting a little stuck on the ring/cog it will cause problems. Check that all teeth of cogs and chainrings look to be in good condition

7) Mis-matching chain and cassette (i.e., not formally compatible)

8) Sticky shifters. Only like to be an issue with very old shifters, but if the grease internally has got a bit old and sticky this can cause problems. Unfortunately, shifters tend not officially to be user serviceable. But I managed to open up a pair of very old RSX shifters, clean them out and re-grease them and then they worked perfectly again...

9) Bedding in. If you've just put new cassette, chainrings and chain together, very occasionally, they just need to bed in a little over a few more miles. I went spare with an old bike of mine when I replaced these three components, and had exactly the kind of symptoms you describe. After having checked all the above and found nothing, I discovered that the problem went away after some more days riding as the interfaces between all these new components wore down slightly to suit each other

[Edit: Appreciate some of the above may not be relevant to your specific problem, but may be helpful to the broader community]

Good luck!

0 likes

Cables appear to be OK on the outside, is there a test to see? This is my first 'proper' bike so couldn't compare it with experience I regret.

I'll have a look at the rest of the derailleur tomorrow.

Pages

Latest Comments