Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pitlocks don't work

Yesterday I had both my Pitlock secured wheels stolen within the space of an hour, in the afternoon. Before I bought Pitlocks I researched as much as I could to see what people's opinions were and they seemed very positive. So I feel like I should add my experience to the internet as a warning to others - obviously Pitlocks are really, really easy to take off! Sure, it was in London, but the obvious ease by which the Pitlocks were dismantled makes them worse than quick release where at least you know that you have to use extra locks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

@PhilRuss it should be widely publicized! They are useless for security. Better everyone knows and avoids them, actually.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

None of those locking hubs work. All a thief has to do is slightly overtighten the cones on the non-drive-side bearings or left hand front bearing and the wheels fall out. Doesn't even damage the bearings. Widely known but not widely publicised!

PhilRuss replied to matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

None of those locking hubs work. All a thief has to do is slightly overtighten the cones on the non-drive-side bearings or left hand front bearing and the wheels fall out. Doesn't even damage the bearings. Widely known but not widely publicised!

[[[[[[ "Widely known but not widely publicised" Well, now it is, isn't it? Brilliant.
P.R.

Loris | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have no way of knowing. All I know is they managed to do two wheels within the space of an hour in the afternoon without causing any damage to to rest of the bike. My lbs never heard of this happening but I'm putting it out there because it clearly can!

Pub bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

How were they removed? Using long-nosed pliers?

Latest Comments