Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Headset bolt covers

I had a new bike delivered a week or so ago and it troubles me slightly that there is no dust cover/grommet/bung covering the bolt in the middle of the headset cap. I know this is not essential, but I'd rather like to have it covered up! Does anyone know anywhere reasonable to get one of the little black caps to go in the bolt?

I have found one or two places, but I would have to order quite a few due to minimum order quantities and realistically, I only want one! I would be happy to order a batch and sell them on at cost + postage if I'm not the only one with OCD that would like their bolt hole safely protected... No pun intended! Let me know...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

02curtisb | 9 years ago
0 likes

I definitely don't have OCD. I definitely didn't look for one. And I most definitely didn't go into my local bike store ('twas a chain so no harm done) and "inspect" one on the demo bikes...

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Completely unnecessary, the bolt seals tightly against the alloy or carbon cap, and if you use a titanium or stainless bolt there really is absolutely no need for a cap at all.

In fact what if moisture built up under your rubber cap and it rusted silently away where you couldn't see it until the whole front end collapsed? It could happen!

PhillBrown replied to matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Doctor... Although let's stay on the possible side of reality shall we? It's clearly aesthetic, nothing more...

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dab of silicon adhesive will work just aswell.

PhillBrown | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Tim... That's exactly what I was looking for... Just pressed pay on an order too with a few spares in-case any go walk-about!

I had seen the ones at BPF online but they wanted a minimum order of £50! I'm not sure at £0.02 each I would ever be able to warrant buying 2500 of them!

Don't get me started with OCD cleaning... My bikes live on show indoors so I can't allow one spec of dirt on them!

BrightEyesBurni... replied to PhillBrown | 6 years ago
0 likes

PhillBrown wrote:

Cheers Tim... That's exactly what I was looking for... Just pressed pay on an order too with a few spares in-case any go walk-about! I had seen the ones at BPF online but they wanted a minimum order of £50! I'm not sure at £0.02 each I would ever be able to warrant buying 2500 of them! Don't get me started with OCD cleaning... My bikes live on show indoors so I can't allow one spec of dirt on them!

Thanks Phil! I just went to the BPF site and if they have the size you need in stock there is no minimum order quantity - it let me order the 4 i needed no problem. Nice and easy! Im back in the game. 

wink

Tinternet_tim | 9 years ago
0 likes

You really do have OCD don't you Phil  3 .....think about the extra weight!!

As I have mild OCD and need to clean my bike regularly I can sympathies  1

A quick google has come up with some possible options, not sure they are exactly what you are after:

http://www.bpfonline.co.uk/search.asp?catid=10805

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Falcon-Workshop-Supplies/Hex-Cover-Caps-/_i.htm...

bikecellar | 9 years ago
0 likes

Note that you have a Carrera Zelos, take it to your nearest Halfords and they will probs give you one.

PhillBrown replied to bikecellar | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikecellar wrote:

Note that you have a Carrera Zelos, take it to your nearest Halfords and they will probs give you one.

Note that I don't have a Carrera Zelos... Hence the original post saying that I have a new bike! Everyone has to start somewhere, but thanks for the sarcasm... Really useful!

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

been riding without a grommet for the last 7 or 8 years without any issues
arising from unprotected holes  1

PhillBrown | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cool, thanks for that... Although I was talking about just the grommet that goes in the centre of the bolt not the whole headset cap!

turboprannet | 9 years ago
0 likes

you can get customisable ones at kapz.co.uk if you wanted something fancy

Latest Comments