Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Will a shorter stem allow me to have a longer reach bar without effecting my bike fit?

I currently have a 130 drop and 80 reach bar fitted to a 110 stem. I want to try the 3T aeronova bars but they have a 127 drop and 113 reach. So if I just fitted an 80 stem doesn't that mean that my position would only be effected by 3mm?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

No difference on the hoods to steering, as the steerer-to-hoods distance will be the same, but it will be more twitchy when riding on the tops.

rookybiker | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the tops end up being much nearer to you, they may contact your knees when pedalling out of the saddle.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Also a 3cm decrease in stem length is going to do fun y things to the way the bike handles.

LondonDynaslow replied to redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes
redmeat wrote:

Also a 3cm decrease in stem length is going to do fun y things to the way the bike handles.

I agree with this. Long stem: more stable; short stem: more twitchy. I'm not sure if that would be counteracted by the longer reach bars.

Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments I think I agree 5-0 that I must have a look before I buy. Just need to find a shop in the southwest that actually stocks these products in store.

Happy training!

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

That reach just sounds too long! Check the numbers for the bar again...

3T's website says a reach of 104 mm: http://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike-components/handlebars/aeronova-team/

Their how to measure shows this is from the back edge of the tops not the centre.

A very quick search online finds this thread which confirms it: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=122780&sid=c.... Look at post 5 on page 5, though some of the other stuff may also be useful.

I would see and try the bars first before buying a stem to match.

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

As Lbowron says, the position in the drops/hoods will be virtually the same but the difference between riding on the tops and then changing to the drops will be huge and will take some getting used to. Where do you spend most of your time riding? If you spend quite a bit of time on the tops then it might not be a good combination. Obviously only you can tell, you may like the big transition between tops and drops, personally i dont and prefer a compact bar with longer stem.

Lbowron | 9 years ago
0 likes

It would pull your 'tops' position in by 30mm, your 'hoods' and 'drops" positions should be the same. So it would give you a more upright position when you're sat up climbing/taking it easy, but otherwise it would be the same.

Latest Comments