Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What Track Bike?

Looking to get myself a track bike as will be riding in the velodrome alot come January.

So what do people recommend for a budget of £800ish?

I'll be going to weekly club meets and also racing once I've got my accreditation.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

rabeynon | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for your input rswift. Possibly should have made it more clear in the original post, but i've done a fair bit of track riding before, so will ideally be looking one or two tiers up from the beginner/entry level bikes.

The Raleigh looks good, and I like how it comes with extra sprockets/chainrings, but unfortunately their are no dealers near me and the lack of a geometry chart is fairly off putting.

Does anyone have experience with Moda bikes? both the Fresco and the Forte (if i can stretch my budget) look good and my LBS can get them in.

CapriciousZephyr | 9 years ago
0 likes

You could also consider the Raleigh Equipe. I know someone, who used to do a lot of track racing in his youth, who got one over the summer and seemed very happy with it. It looked good in the flesh, too (to me, at least). You get extra chainrings and sprocket thrown in, along with some tools, which is a nice touch. I just did a quick search and found a mention on this very site:
http://road.cc/content/news/115436-raleigh-launches-new-track-bike

rswift | 9 years ago
0 likes

dolan pre-cursa, excellent starter bike and spend the rest of your budget on better wheels... check out the notice boards at the track too, loads of decent bikes for sale...

don't get hung up on fancy frames, just look at what many elite riders throw their leg over, wheels on the other hand, they don't scrimp there  3

rabeynon replied to rswift | 9 years ago
0 likes
rswift wrote:

dolan pre-cursa, excellent starter bike

heard the the Dolan's geometry is almost more suited for urban/fixie riding and on a track it feels fairly dull and sluggish.

I've used the Dolans at Newport and wasnt that impressed, but then they were down specced to meet a price point

rswift replied to rabeynon | 9 years ago
0 likes
rabeynon wrote:

heard the the Dolan's geometry is almost more suited for urban/fixie riding and on a track it feels fairly dull and sluggish.

I've used the Dolans at Newport and wasnt that impressed, but then they were down specced to meet a price point

I strongly suspect the wheels is what made it feel sluggish, the Navigator Pista's are very heavy (1.6Kg), getting them up to speed is hard work, plus almost certainly clinchers, so depending on what you did on the track (was it a taster session or something more structured, or a race?) the off-the-peg Pre-Cursa may not be ideal... A pursuit or sprint geometry isn't exactly what beginners would be wanting to ride!?

As I said, excellent starter bike, there is probably a reason that velodromes use them for their hire bikes? I have since moved on from the Pre-Cursa, but for £450 it is fantastic value to get going with...

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tinternet_tim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good question. It's been running through my mind as well as will definitely be giving it a go when the Derby arena opens early in 2015.
I'll be hire a bike to start off with from the arena but if I enjoy it I'll probably look at picking up a cheap bike.

Anyone with personal experience and actually rides track, then any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Latest Comments