Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Where can I find one of THESE?

The guys who had my bike before me has attached a clamp on front dérailleur to the frame which doesn't have a round seat tube. As a result the clamp sticks out and interferes with my mud guard. I thought the best way to deal with this would be to put a braze mount back on and swap to a Braze-on dérailleur.

Question is where can I find such a mount, exactly like this:

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/m/product/giant-front-derailleur-hanger-...

I've seen a few online in the US and Canada, but surely this should be available here too you would have thought...

Answers on a postcard please!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes you're right. You'd think that the holes are a set distance apart on every frame, but I won't be surprised if this varies.

Might take a punt for a fiver or so, I can't really have the bike out of action as it's my commuter so can't afford to haul it to and from the LBS, time wise they is.

Thanks for the help

Blue_Brevatto | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Giant version might work on your bike. It depends on the location of the frame holes onto which the hanger is going to mount. i.e. the height above the axle centre-line - and the angular position i.e. how far they are rotated from bike centre-line towards the chain side. The first will influence the vertical position of the mech and the latter will alter it's angle relative to the chain-rings. Now because the hanger position cannot be guaranteed to be in identical positions across every size and make of frame there is flexibility to adjust the position of the mech on the hanger in both of the above directions. Which is why you might get away with it.

You could try and measure the dimensions - or photographing the location - and then go and look at a Giant frame with the same FD mounting. The critical dimension is probably the pitch (separation) of the two bolt-holes - that HAS to be right or the part absolutely won't fit.

Your other option is to go into an LBS - they'll probably be able to work out just by looking at your bike which part will fit and order it in. And if it doesn't fit then the onus is on them to change it for one that does.

Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's a BeOne storm 2.0. Estimated 2008 or so, using it as a commuter until the n+1 factor finally convinced the wife of my need for a Supersix or similar...

I see the link is for giant but surely it's going to fit every frame as they'd be round at the front. It's only the back of the tube which is weirdly shaped.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments