Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New road biker, suggestions welcome (desperately!!!!!)

Hello everybody, glad to be a new member in this awesome forum. 8)

I just moved to the UK from southern Europe where I used to do mountain biking. I wanted to join my Uni Cycling Club and wanted to purchase a good value for money road bike. I would have 2 runs a week (60-100km each) for both fun with collegues and more competitively soon (hopefully I will get back in shape!)
My eye fell on the Triban 500 SE , the Felt Z95 Sora, Giant Defy 3 and I just saw this Planet X 58. The budget is around 500, flexible (Max 500 for a worthy upgrade/awesome offer). I like to push hard but not too much :p

Anything to recommend?? Is Giant Defy 3(£400) the best option? Is the Defy 1 or Felt F95 a worthy upgrade for the money???

Thanks!  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wiggle are clearing out the 2014 felt f85 for 500 quid. For that you get a tiagra group set which is vastly better than sora. The f series is a bit racier than the z series but I have just spent the last year commuting on mine and it has given me no problems over 6000 miles.
The only recommended upgrade I would add is a pair of gp4000 tyres

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wiggle are clearing out the 2014 felt f85 for 500 quid. For that you get a tiagra group set which is vastly better than sora. The f series is a bit racier than the z series but I have just spent the last year commuting on mine and it has given me no problems over 6000 miles.
The only recommended upgrade I would add is a pair of gp4000 tyres

Freddy56 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you are an experienced biker, a second hand bike might be a better buy? Still waiting to see an entry level bike with a usable saddle and good basic wheels. Brands spec a carbon fork over hubs that run smooth

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Check out the Road.cc review of bikes under £500:

http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-%C2%...

Can't go wrong. Or, buy second hand, always loads of bargains about at this time of year.

Latest Comments