Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Medical certificate for Sportives abroad

Hi,

Myself and a few friends are looking to enter the Gran Fondo Felice in Italy next year. One of the conditions is that you require an 'agonistic' medical certificate in order to participate in the longer courses. Does anybody know what one is, where you get it from and what's the cost? I'm guessing a GP but it's the 'agonistic' bit that is confusing me.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I thought a BC race licence was essentially under the UCI umbrella?

Bizarrely, Megavalanche accept either a medical cert or a BC race licence in lieu of the medical cert. Cos those BC race doctors have reviewed my health recently  29 Etape du Tour would not accept the BC licence and needed a medical cert.

bikeclips | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry - forgot to add that we found an example certificate for a marathon which might be helpful: http://www.lmhm.it/images/pdf/2014/CertificatoMedicoStranieri_ENG_LMHM20...

bikeclips | 9 years ago
0 likes

I looked into this recently as a mate asked me about getting a certificate. We eventually worked out that these events are governed by FIDAL (Italian Sports Federation) and they have a rule about medical certificates for domestic and foreign participants. What it seems to boil down to is this (google translated): "The participation of foreign athletes who are not registered with FIDAL in events competitive on the Italian territory is subject to the presentation of a medical certificate, The validity of which is in accordance with the law on protection of health in competitive sports in the country of belonging of foreign participant; the medical certificate is valid in the time frame expected for the individual competition and must be kept in the acts of the Company."
As far as I know, there are no such laws outside of general health & safety stuff here in the UK so you can pretty much get any old quack to give you a certificate provided it states that you are fit for the specific type of event and contains an expiry date which covers your event. Hope this helps. Feel free to check article 23 yourself at: http://www.fidal.it/upload/files/Organizzazione/2014/10.Norme_Organizzaz...

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pretty sure you can only get a UCI License though British Cycling these days if you are registered with a UCI team

KirinChris replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Pretty sure you can only get a UCI License though British Cycling these days if you are registered with a UCI team

Really, what does your licence say?

My BC licence has a UCI code and I'm registered with the UCI.

Local teams and riders can enter UCI 2.2 events - not only UCI teams (by which I assume you mean World Tour, Pro-Continental and Continental).

In fact I'm doing one next week.

Gkam84 replied to KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Local teams and riders can enter UCI 2.2 events - not only UCI teams (by which I assume you mean World Tour, Pro-Continental and Continental).

My license says nothing, I haven't held a BC license since I was a teen. But you said a UCI Race License, I'm sure that is a different beast to a BC License with a UCI code on it. To get a full UCI Race License. I thought you have to be with a UCI team, yes a WT, Pc or C

KirinChris replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
abudhabiChris wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

My license says nothing, I haven't held a BC license since I was a teen. But you said a UCI Race License, I'm sure that is a different beast to a BC License with a UCI code on it. To get a full UCI Race License. I thought you have to be with a UCI team, yes a WT, Pc or C

A race licence issued by a UCI-affiliated body such as BC is a UCI licence.

The holder of a BC or local federation licence can be awarded UCI ranking points from UCI events raced with a local licence issued by a local federation. I'm doing a UCI 2.2 event this week with a local licence.

Pro riders are licenced by a local, usually home, federation, not the UCI, that's why they are subject to national doping rules.

It's the team that is registered and categorised by the UCI but the riders still need a BC or equivalent licence.

Brad Wiggins rides under a BC licence for Team Sky as does Alex Dowsett, Geraint Thomas etc for their respective teams and their results are shown within their BC ranking.

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ask them if a UCI race licence would be accepted.

You can get it quite easily from British Cycling, without medical examinations.

I haven't tried Italy but mine has been accepted in France at events which have required medical certification.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a friend who entered a grand fondo in Italy he is a GP himself and a colleague of his who is a GP issued his certificate which was accepted, perhaps different sportives in Italy have varying standards of who can issue a medical certificate or perhaps they require the medic to have certain speciality qualifications? I would check with the organising body to see what they will accept. Certainly there are many Genetal Practitioners with a special interest in sport medicine. Lots of professional football clubs have links with such GP's. With in the EU if not world wide you will find the medical qualifications from the UK are well respected.

truffy replied to Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

Genetal Practitioners

Genital or general?

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunately a GP's medical cert wouldn't work in Italy. I know people who have gone with that. It is fine for UK events and some on the continent.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

My GP did me a medical and signed a cert to say I was fit for taking part in the Etape du Tour.

It was basic - blood pressure, pulse, weight, height, listened to heart, max air flow etc.

Had to pay about £15. I think would have been more if I'd asked for ECG and blood tests etc.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You won't get an agonistic certificate from a GP. You need a sports physician to give you that. It is basically a medical to say you are fit for the sport you wish to do.

For some reason, most events in Italy require it because of their insurance. It is normally for running and triathlons. I'd have a search for local sports physicians, but I've no idea of cost.

You can take a short cut if you think you won't pass, pay £65 and do it online  21 http://www.cyclosportmedicalcertificates.co.uk/en/

ride2smile replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Soundslike good advice, thanks.

ride2smile replied to ride2smile | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to all for the advice. I've asked the organisers for some guidance and then I'll take it from there.

Latest Comments