Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo chainset replacement

I currently have a Campagnolo 9 speed drive train, with a Campag Veloce Power torque 53/39 double chainset, which has done over 10000 miles and I'm not great at looking after it so will need to replace it soon. The rest of the drive train is front derailleur Campagnolo Chorus double; bottom bracket described as Campagnolo Cups; rear dearilleur Campagnolo Veloce, rear cassette is a Miche 12-27 and the shifters are Campagnolo Mirage 9 speed.
I'd like a 52-36 crankset to replace the 53/39, what are my options, and what else will I have to change? I know there are compatible cassettes from Miche and another manufacturer, do they also so cranks and would these be compatible?

I plan on changing the chain and cassette as well, so it is not going to be cheap even if I get lucky on Ebay. Would upgrading to 10 or 11 speed add much to the cost? New shifter and rear derailleur?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Mirage chainset will work fine with either 9 or 10 speed setups.

As previously mentioned, you need a 111mm square taper bottom bracket in the thread that fits your frame... Either English or Italian. If your frame isn't an Italian brand it'll almost certainly be English thread. However, if your frame is Italian, don't automatically assume it to have an Italian threaded bb shell.

The cups you have at the moment will tell you... If they say 1.37 x 24 then it's English thread. If it's 36 x 24 its italian

Also, make sure the bb you buy is either campag, ISO or campag compatible. Shimano/JIS square taper is a different cut.

Sounds much more complicated than it is in reality.

As regards cassettes, stick to genuine Campagnolo ones. Veloce cassettes are great value and if you have a medium cage rear mech go up to 29t sprocket... Great for old legs.

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

I cannot find the exact part number, but Mirage 9sp black chainsets are 2004-2006.

The double chainset takes a bottom bracket with a 111 mm axle. Centaur (lightest), Veloce, Mirage and Xenon (heaviest) cartridge/sealed BBs are compatible. Beware as the Record & Chorus 111 mm BB is asymmetrical - the axle sticks out more on the drive side.

You will need to know whether British or Italian thread (check your previous BB markings or measure). The frame shell width will be 68 mm or 73 mm (measure that on the frame). Campagnolo BBs use the Campag tool, Tifosi Campag fit BBs use the Shimano tool.

Hopefully that should cover it!

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Got the chainset now, struggling to get the BB though. The part number is FC4-MIB593. Can anyone tell what the correct BB is, or where I can find out?

0 likes

Thanks - my next question would have been about size!

0 likes

Finally making progress on this, due to breaking my wrist and not actually being able to ride the thing!

Got lucky on ebay and picked up a used Campag Mirage standard crankset for £11. Trouble is, it says it is square taper, which I think is the bb type, and I have Power Torque bb at the moment. Can it be made to work with extra parts, or do I need to get a Power Torque crankset?

The seller hasn't said if it is 9/10 speed. I think my front shifter is actually a 10 speed, but have asked him to clarify.

Might have to get a bigger cassette now as I am still on a standard, a 27 is getting tough on these old legs.

mrmo replied to Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mirage is square taper, a new bottom bracket is only a tenner or so. I would just swap the bottom bracket and use the chainset you have bought and I wouldn't worry to much about whether it is 9 or 10, i have a Chorus 10spd that was used with 9spd and now 10spd, no real issues, even when i was using a 7spd 105 front mech.

edit,

ok bb a bit more than i thought

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tifosi-campagnolo-fit-bottom-bracket/

111mm length is the one i think you need, it'll do the job.

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're buying from eBay, FSA cranks are probably worth considering. They should be good value and are at least an 'Italian' brand! If the replacement is not urgent, then with time you could find a 52/36 in your crank length. If the correct bottom bracket for your frame is not included, then you will need one of those too.

For 10 speed, then pretty much as earlier:

From what you have said I think your right shifter can probably be converted, see the FAQs here (scroll down to Ergopower conversions): http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml. It is is probably worth replacing the springs at the same time as it won't cost much more. Note that some of the cheaper Campag 10-speed shifters have simpler plastic internals which wear quicker and are harder to service.

The rear mech will probably work fine, even if it is a 9-speed. I think the only difference is the 10-speed has narrower washers for the jockey wheels, though if they have been replaced at some point (e.g. Tacx) they may be 10-speed already.

The front mech may not be perfect if it's 9-speed and/or for standard cranksets. You can probably get away with this, however it could be more sensitive to position, i.e. height and angle. You will certainly need to lower it a bit on the seat tube for the smaller rings. If you have problems e.g. shifting up, dropping the chain from the 34, or excessive chain rubbing, then you may need to find a more compact friendly mech.

Good luck!

0 likes

I thought it was a football reference to a game that ended 5-nil! Hawaii is much more exotic!
Anyway, re-thinking the plans, switching to a Campag semi-compact is going to cost more than the bike is worth, as is the 105 option, so am now looking for a cost-effective replacement drive train. I have a very very hilly ride (think attempted Everesting...) coming up before next summer, so I think I should go for a compact and get it on the bike as early as I can so I can train with higher cadence this will give me for as long as possible. I can see some secondhand cranks on Ebay that say they work with 9 or 10 speed, so will be going that route.

To change from 9 speed will need a new shifter, will the rear derailleur be ok?

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never been there and have no links there. You've got something but, like I said, it is tenuous. And I'm not going to explain it!

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

I read your post and for some reason it stuck in my mind. I have a Campag 10-speed and so have researched their stuff before. The 5-O ref is tenuous to say the least... best left unexplained!

The 105 groupset route is great value and fairly simple to order, but you would need to buy an 11-speed Campag cassette for it - conveniently this will work with the Campag 9-speed hub and Shimano 11-speed shifting. However upgrading or maintaining your Campag can be a bit cheaper and has it's own advantages. Though if you go for a Campag crankset again, you may have to spend a little more on it or compromise on wanting a semi-compact.

Hope you can find what you want!

truffy replied to RR | 9 years ago
0 likes
5-O wrote:

The 5-O ref is tenuous to say the least...

You're from/visited Hawaii, and I claim my five pounds.

0 likes

Wow! Thanks for the response 5-0, that is as comprehensive as I could imagine! (What's the 5-0 reference?!) I had thought Shimano 105 would be the most cost effective route but if I can I'd rather stick with Campag. The bike only cost £500 and I would like to upgrade to a Canyon / Cannondale carbon wonder soon so don't want to spend a lot if I can help it.

0 likes

Wow! Thanks for the response 5-0, that is as comprehensive as I could imagine! (What's the 5-0 reference?!) I had thought Shimano 105 would be the most cost effective route but if I can I'd rather stick with Campag. The bike only cost £500 and I would like to upgrade to a Canyon / Cannondale carbon wonder soon so don't want to spend a lot if I can help it.

0 likes

TheElectronKid | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're going to stick with campagnolo 9 speed, the easiest/cheapest way is to buy a secondhand compact chainset( Campagnolo, FSA, Shimano) on ebay and some new Chainrings(52 & 36). This will proabaly cost around £70-£100. Then replace the cassette and chain(13-26 £26 at Wiggle. Chain £15-£20).
If you want 10 or 11 speed go for the groupset deals at Merlin

16  16  16

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

The best value semi-compact crankset available is probably the Shimano 105 11-speed, though it may be best to use it with at least a 10-speed set-up. The Campag Athena 11-speed semi-compact costs a bit more but is Power Torque again. Removing your Power Torque cranks requires special tools, so it's best to find a bike shop that can do this. Campag Ultra Torque cranksets are much easier to remove, but the semi-compact ones are Chorus and above.

Campag front mechs from 2007 or earlier came in standard and compact versions, the standard one may not work perfectly with a semi crankset.

The Mirage 9-speed Ergopower shifter is probably the one with the internals that allow multiple shifts on the thumb lever. These can be upgraded to 10-speed. Velotech are a Campag service centre, and can do this and service them at the same time: www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo.shtml. With this you will have a reliable 10-speed shifter that can be serviced again in the future, which is definitely a plus given your past usage.

The Veloce rear mech may be 10-speed already. If not, Campag year 2001 and later 9 speed rear mechs will do 10-speed with just changing the jockey wheels to the narrower type. If it's a short cage mech you may need to watch out for the max chain wrap capacity. You have 29 now, a 16 gap on the crankset with the same range cassette as you have currently will take it to 31, which I think is the reliable max.

A new 105 11-speed groupset can be found from just over £300 (start at Merlin with the OEM deal), also includes brakes and new cables, and would give you the gearing you want with new parts and the least compatibility issues. You may also get a bit back by selling your good parts on eBay.

Baldy1alex | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi there I would hang on to the new year and look for some 10 speed options as the 9 is goin to become harder to find at little if any saving! After Crimbo you may get some good deals from the big boys like Chain Re/ Wigg. & Evans + The big E from people upping from 10 to11 sp. best of luck!!  1

Latest Comments