Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bent Link - SRAM pc1031 - Options?

Hey all,

I have a SRAM pc1031 10 speed chain.

I recently had a crash which bent my mech hanger, which then snapped pulling the whole derailleur into the wheel, and bending the mech to pieces.

So whilst waiting for my replacement mech I thought I'd give my chain a clean.

So I pushed a pin out of the chain, and proceeded to give it a good clean.
I then discovered that one of the chain links was bent, and that I also had a powerlink meaning I didnt have to push a pin out.

I'm now finding it difficult to source a spare link or a relevant pin.

What are my options? Can i replace a single link? or when u have a bent link do you just have to replace the whole chain?

I've found a new chain for £13.99 inc postage, but want to know if I can fix it for cheaper, as there is nothing wrong with the rest of it. And it is nice and shiny clean again! lol

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Lee

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't risk it, replace the chain, there may be other damage you haven't noticed as the drive line got chewed.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just sling it, better still weigh it in. You're going to risk damage to the new mechanism for £13!

massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I always save the excess lengths of chain just in case I need to replace a damaged link or two (requires a chain breaker). If you didn't maybe one of your mates did or possibly a friendly LBS might give you one. A few links of any SRAM 10-speed would do.

You might also want to check the wear level on your old chain first. It could well be worn enough to justify that new chain. (Just lay a 12" ruler over the chain, it should line up with the end of a link, if it has stretched more than 1/8" it is shot)

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can you not just stick in another powerlink to replace the broken one?

There is no issue with having multiple powerlinks in a chain. Infact, you could make a whole chain from powerlinks and it would work fine

The _Kaner replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Can you not just stick in another powerlink to replace the broken one?

There is no issue with having multiple powerlinks in a chain. Infact, you could make a whole chain from powerlinks and it would work fine

Technically, you couldn't make a 'whole' chain from power links...
You could replace all 'outer plate' parts of a chain with power (missing) links...but not the inner plate parts...and if you have a bent inner plate...unless you have spare links, to cannibalise...you will need a new chain

backflipbedlem replied to The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes
The _Kaner wrote:

...and if you have a bent inner plate...unless you have spare links, to cannibalise...you will need a new chain

That is a very good point! And one that would of defo tripped me up! And cost me a few quid!
New chain it is then!
Cheers for all the help guys!

Latest Comments