Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Moving from SRAM Force to Shimano 105

I'm wondering whether to move from SRAM Force (with Apex shifters and FSA chainset, so it's only the derailleurs that are Force!) to Shimano 105 on my winter bike.
I personally find the SRAM double-tap shifters less favorable in operation and effort (moving the chain up the cassette) than the Shimano shifters but this may be due to the cheaper shifters. The change would also enable me to move to a 52/36 chainset which I have been really pleased with on my summer bike this year; the extra 11th cog could be beneficial but I'm not too concerned.

Does anyone know if I'll notice any change in performance between the Force and 105 derailleurs? The Force is quite decent in that area. The 105 5800 full groupset is available for £299 online which seems a cracking deal; am I missing something?

Does anyone have enough experience of the two setups to advise?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've experience with both. I prefer SRAM generally, but specifically in the winter, when I find thicker gloves tend to mean more bodged shifts on Shimano - if you catch the brake lever when you only meant to hit the little paddle behind then you miss the shift. With SRAM you've just got one nice big paddle to hit - easier with thicker gloves on.

AWP replied to Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jez Ash wrote:

I've experience with both. I prefer SRAM generally, but specifically in the winter, when I find thicker gloves tend to mean more bodged shifts on Shimano - if you catch the brake lever when you only meant to hit the little paddle behind then you miss the shift. With SRAM you've just got one nice big paddle to hit - easier with thicker gloves on.

That's a very good point. Thanks for that.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Does anyone know if I'll notice any change in performance between the Force and 105 derailleurs?

No, of course you won't. Do stop being silly.

HTH

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

another thought whizzes by me ... isn't force to 105 a step "down" ? shirley it shouldbe force to ultegra ??

AWP replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

another thought whizzes by me ... isn't force to 105 a step "down" ? shirley it shouldbe force to ultegra ??

That's the question. Will I really notice any difference in performance. I've spoken to a few people now who suggest I won't.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think its good that the 3 main systems have different shaped hoods and varying feels of mechanical connectedness, it give a choice.

Campag is the most positive in action, Shimano the the least, SRAM in the middle.

Once you get used to one system, the others feel alien.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

i found the opposite ... shimano was just too light for me !!!

adscrim | 9 years ago
0 likes

The shifting performance will come from the shifters and cabling, not the mech so much. Having just started using 5800 105 on a new winter bike and having ca 2011 force with new this year cables and housings on my summer bike, my experience is that the 105 feels much better than the force. Shifting is incredibly light and smooth.

Latest Comments