Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Commuting Lights -

Advice Please...

I've been commuting over the summer and continued into Autumn / Winter and have good front (Trelock) and rear (Cateye) lights but wanted some smaller one's which would attach to my pack for the rear and helmet for the front. I don't want to spend a fortune and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what works and what doesn't.

Cheers, Ed

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

orangesoul | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I'm really after something small, visible and ideally rechargeable that can attach to either my helmet or pack as I have a main front and rear light and these are just for extra visibility. The Decathlon lights seem like a bargain but worried they might not be bright enough.

On another note has anyone had an SKS Race Blade mudguard fail on them? Riding home through the city today and the rear one popped lose and jammed under the brake bridge. Locked the rear wheel in the middle of traffic which wasn't ideal. Bent all the connectors too.

Oolon Colluphid | 9 years ago
0 likes

A word of warning about lights on helmets (based on my own experience, so don't take it as gospel  1 )

I had my Niterider Minewt on my helmet for one month, a couple of years ago. Nothing else pointing forward - just that. Got pulled out on three times in that month. It could be coincidence but as soon as I put it back on the handlebars the problem ceased. I think that on a helmet they're too high.

If you're planning on having on on your lid AND one on your bars, should be fine.

Reg Molehusband | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought one of those USB rechargeable lights from Decathlon for £8.50. Really good for the price. I shall use it for the rear. In fact it's so good for the price I might get another one and have two flashing reds. My front light is an adapted Petzl Tikka XP2 headtorch. Fantastic piece of kit. I use it for running at night and when fixing my motorbikes as well.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

The fibre flares are worth considering for your pack. About 20 quid if I recall but they are worth it for the strobing visibility

feeling it replied to arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree, a fibre light allows you to put it on the seat stay. This puts the light further on the right hand side of the bike which in turn, because its long and larger than most rear lights, makes cars swing around more, certainly in my experience. Also use a rechargeable Lezyne in the daytime murk for up front and an ebay special max lumen (6000 it said but, still very bright) light for off-road rides, which lights up the countryside nicely.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been using a Petzl "signal" that I nicked of my children's helmets for the rear of my helmet. Last week I replaced it with a USB rechargeable one from Decathlon I got for £8.50. Lots brighter, and obviously cheaper than having to buy lots of CR2032 batteries. Plus it has a red AND a white LED, so in a pinch you might get away with sticking it on the front and using it as a "see me" light to get you home.

For the front I sometimes use a duracell torch I got from costco strapped onto my helmet with some zefal doohickey that is sold as a device to strap a pump to your frame (its basically a velcro strap and a bit of rubber!).

I'm not convinced the forward facing helmet torch makes much difference, I've had people still pull out on me with it on in all modes (low/high/flashing). Now I just have 2 front lights on the handlebars, one on constant beam and the other one flashing, this seems to have more effect than sticking it on my helmet. I do the same on the rear as well, when I'm carrying more than one lamp, I have one on constant and one on flashing.

brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a AAA-powered Cateye permanently (-ish) attached to the end of my rack at the rear.

I have lezyne zecto drive lights front and rear (about £15 each, IIRC). These are on their "daylight flash" for both commute directions at this time of year (ten miles each way). I have to charge them for a couple of hours, once a week.

I also have a lezyne power drive (their mk 1 version, I suspect, and had to sell a kidney to buy it at the time) as a "see where I'm going" headlight. That is on full beam, about half the way going home, and half beam all the way to work and half the way home at present. I just plug it in when I get to work and leave it charging. Takes a looooong time to charge, but that could be the battery or it could be the powerpoint I plug it into.

pirnie | 9 years ago
0 likes

When I'm riding at night I keep a Lezyne Femto drive on the back of my helmet for added visibility to drivers. Sits on the back vents pretty nicely

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a little one from Halfords to fix to the top of my helmet that has front and reare cost about 15 quid I think.
Lezyne do a couple called Zemto or something like that that might also do.

Latest Comments