Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best Bike for Cycling UK to Italy?

Looking for a quality road bike, to cycle to Italy in January. Which brands would you recommend? I would need something that can support a carabina (or what's it called? One of those storage things you can wack on the back of your bike). Looking to do 60 miles/day for approx 2 weeks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

themartincox | 9 years ago
0 likes

can you even cycle through switzerland in january? it's going to be COLD!

have fun!

re the bike....wide stays for snow tyres

PhillBrown | 9 years ago
0 likes

I agree with a few of the guys above... Ride the bike before you make the decision. Also, shop around... This is the best time of the year to buy a new bike as many shops are clearing out 2014 bikes!

Though I would fully recommend using your LBS, sometimes you just can't beat the offers by big stores... Wiggle very handily have a little known secret called a "30 day test ride" that you can take them up on too if they have said chosen bike in stock...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/30testride  4

dreading | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd pick something robust and easy to maintain. Given your obvious vast knowledge of bicycles I'd go to your local bike shop and ask there.
You need it to fit well and be low maintenance. ..

rnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd recommend a "motorbike"....sorry truly terrible and could not resist  21 . If you are serious, do check which road tunnels you can take your bike through as all many of the normal mountain passes, which might be an enjoyable challenge in summer will be shut.

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet-X Dirty Disco would be a good place to start bike wise, but agree that given the time you're going to spend on the road, then serious investment in decent clothing is probably more critical to your arrival.

Blue_Brevatto | 9 years ago
0 likes

You do realize how fr***king cold it's going to be don't you ?
Sod the bike - I'd be more worried about what gloves and booties I was going to need. And what tyres. Northern Italy itself is pretty mountainous and according to Google there's something called .. "The Alps" ... kind of in the way. That might be worth checking out.

I just hope you've done this sort of thing before! It would make a typical LEJOG look like a Sunday club run.

You sure about January ?

adamtaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cyclocross, audax or winter bikes are usually pretty versatile with various rack and guard mount points.

Your best bet is to test ride a few, you can't go too far wrong.

One tip: If I had the budget and was aiming for a ride like that, I'd try and get wheels with a dynamo hub so I didn't need to worry about the lighting situation so much.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd suggest something with two wheels, panniers, and a comfy saddle. Pedals are also useful.

Seriously, anything you're comfortable on and that can carry your stuff will do.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

There is no "best" bike but a comfy saddle should be a priority.

If Tim Moore can ride the route of the hardest ever Giro on a 1914 singlespeed bike with wine corks for brakes then I'd venture that bike choice is not the most important decision.

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

what's your budget?

il sole | 9 years ago
0 likes

something italian  3

What route are you doing?? whatever you choose, good luck - it's a long way!!

Latest Comments