Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

bottom brackets

Recent woes among club members regarding the new bottom brackets, bb etc, I am considering a return to the hassle free, long life, uncomplicated square peg bottom bracket and chainset. My local bike shop owner admits the new fitments are product driven and offer a very limited life span, saying only in their favour they are stiffer. Since I don't have the strength to stress any bottom bracket, square peg or otherwise, to the extent of bending them I get no benefit whatsoever from the newer type. Club members are replacing them quite frequently and they seem to be getting more expensive. Happy days of Fag bb's are beckoning me.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

harman_mogul | 9 years ago
0 likes

True, Shimano square-taper cassettes smooth, reliable, and economical.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an old shimano square bb on my 10yr hybrid, still smooth operation. My Boardman, I have converted from press fit bearings to threaded bearings. I have not suffered any creaking since. Also servicing will be easier to change new bearings. The only advantage I can see press fit is they are very low friction compared to threaded cups

MKultra replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

I have an old shimano square bb on my 10yr hybrid, still smooth operation. My Boardman, I have converted from press fit bearings to threaded bearings. I have not suffered any creaking since. Also servicing will be easier to change new bearings. The only advantage I can see press fit is they are very low friction compared to threaded cups

They are both cartridge bearings inside so the difference is negligible.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

I will not be going over to hollowtech or similar any time soon. For commuting purposes in all weathers Shimano square taper BB's are bomb proof.

antonio | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm simply highlighting problems fellow club members have had, they don't race so power output is not the issue, just longevity of the bottom brackets being pushed by manufactures on new bikes. Myself, I had no problems other than normal wear and tear with the square axle, still don't on my tourer and fixie bikes but I'm dubious about three other chainsets fitted with outboard bearings.

bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

Are you making more power than Merckx ?
I still run a 1980's steel frame with Campagnolo square cranks.
For my winter bike - so it get's the worst of the weather.
Easily serviced every summer with a new slap of grease and still going strong after 35 years  41

Latest Comments