Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Racing Wiggo

I was doing an hour on the rollers at the weekend, when the thought occurred to me that the pace I was doing was just about equivalent to the world hour record. Now, I know speed on rollers is pretty meaningless as you're not actually moving so there's no wind resistance, but I was quite pleased with that (in the end I beat it - 32.6 miles  16 ). That got me thinking - wherever Wiggo ends up doing his hour record attempt, and especially if it's in Mallorca, then I'm not likely to be able to go and watch it. What better way then to support him than by setting my rollers up in front of a screen I can watch his attempt on, and see if I can keep up, or beat him! Anyone fancy joining in?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

ItsSteveLovell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hope we get some photos from Scott Mitchell when Wiggo does The Hour, he seems to get pretty close up so it'd be interesting to see just what he will look like...essentially how much Wiggo will have bulked up compared to shots from his 2012 Tour.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know you can get trainers with progressive resistance, but do any rollers have this feature? Otherwise you couldn't possibly get to his wattage without the resistance, unless you can get your cadence up to to 200.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know you can get trainers with progressive resistance, but do any rollers have this feature? Otherwise you couldn't possibly get to his wattage without the resistance, unless you can get your cadence up to to 200.

fukawitribe replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

I know you can get trainers with progressive resistance, but do any rollers have this feature?

SportsCrafters do a progressive drum for Kreitler and some of their own rollers (passive progressive). The top-end Elites can do active resistance (e.g. grade, head-wind), but not sure if they have any passive progression as well.

Lbowron replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

I've got a set of Elite Arion Mag rollers that have a build in magnetic resistance setting, there are only three options, but for about £200 they're pretty good.

Liaman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe we could all see how long we can maintain his (estimated) wattage for the attempt? Could be an interesting few minutes  3

kamoshika replied to Liaman | 9 years ago
0 likes
Liaman wrote:

Maybe we could all see how long we can maintain his (estimated) wattage for the attempt? Could be an interesting few minutes  3

I don't think I last even a few minutes at his wattage!

notfastenough replied to Liaman | 9 years ago
0 likes
Liaman wrote:

One figure bandied around is 450 watts for 25 mins on a TdF climb. I tried maintaining 450 watts on a wattbike - 'interesting' isn't the word I'd use!

Charles_Hunter replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:
Liaman wrote:

One figure bandied around is 450 watts for 25 mins on a TdF climb. I tried maintaining 450 watts on a wattbike - 'interesting' isn't the word I'd use!

Last years world time trial, the one where Wiggins came second to Tony Martin and took 1hr6mins, from the horse's mouth - “I rode to power, I was consistent all the way through … I was riding 450 watts the whole way, at the end I was touching 500 watts.”

MuddyGoose | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds a great idea. I just need someone to donate me a good set of rollers! Riding around my living room in circles is not the same.

Latest Comments