Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet x Pro Carbon £799 Sram rival climbers gearing

What are peoples thoughts on this set up?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

gusm41 | 9 years ago
0 likes

First ride today very impressed. Fairly comfortable change of seat and tyres will make it even better.
Feels fast love the sram rival groupset, overall very pleased.

Now to get fit for the Etape Caledonia.

gusm41 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Received today looks great and so light.

fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know,,,,
but i just can't help it, its such a lovely gear  4

fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hardly use the 34 on the front chain ring ( only for very steep hills ).
using the 50 on the front and the 32 on the back gives you such a great sit down climbing gear for any hill around 7% you can just tap it out!

Daveyraveygravey replied to fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes
fitzey50 wrote:

I hardly use the 34 on the front chain ring ( only for very steep hills ).
using the 50 on the front and the 32 on the back gives you such a great sit down climbing gear for any hill around 7% you can just tap it out!

Fitzey, that's called cross chaining and is really bad for your chain. I'd drop down the cassette at least one cog maybe two, or use the small ring and stay in the middle of the cassette.

Wish I hadn't seen this thread. The Mrs just got a tax bill so had convinced myself I could do without the 1500 Cannondale or Canyon a bit longer...  2

Shamblesuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

Now £999 for Rival 22. 105 and Rival 10 speed still £799

gusm41 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its bought and on its way.

fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

quick, buy it now before it go's up  4

backflipbedlem replied to fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes
fitzey50 wrote:

quick, buy it now before it go's up  4

Yea one thing about Planet-X bikes, is they change their prices so often!
That if you see a deal and you want it, order it then and there, do not wait!

I was getting my first 'proper' bike on cycle2work scheme.
Had a full Ultegra 6800 Planet X Pro Carbon for £999. An absolute bargain!

Had it on my screen for 2 weeks, no real reason not to place an order during that time. But the day I did finally place the order, I stuck it in the basket, then got distracted with doing work, then clicked buy now, and the price jumped up to £1,199, pushing it out of the cycle2work scheme, apparently they increased the price 20 mins before hand! Nothing they could do!
Gutted! They did chuck in some carbon bottle cages to ease my pain!

But the SRAM RIVAL has been great, no complaints!

IngloriousLou replied to gusm41 | 9 years ago
0 likes
gusm41 wrote:

link

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSLPRIV22C/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-riva...

Thanks.

The link in my email went to a 404.

Great value, buy on cycle2work and it's a steal.

IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes

But it's no longer available at that price, unless I've gone blind?

gusm41 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It has a Sram Rival 22 groupset on this one.

vadido | 9 years ago
0 likes

Looks good for the money. It has an FSA chainset so they've saved money here and there. Regarding the frame, yes external cable routing and round tubes but some people prefer the more retro look. The wishbone rear stay should be nice and stiff.

fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had this bike for the last two years,
this year i put the sram climbers kit on it and added campag zonda wheels and carbon seat post stem and handle bars,
for the money its seriously light, (7.7kgish). I did tdf stage one and a hundred miler it wales this year and had no problems what so ever,
as my cycling has got more serious i am about to upgrade to a canyon ultimate cf slx, its going to cost me a lot more money to get a bike thats less then 1kg lighter.
I think this is a great starter sportive bike & with a few upgrades you will be leaving everyone behind!
(apart from me on my new canyon  1 )

gusm41 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It`s the pre built option.
It`s on it`s way first carbon bike.

UnflappableEd | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had the Sram Force 10 speed version for a year and a half and it is great, it was my first carbon bike and it's completely changed my riding, for the money it's an amazing bundle, I've done seven sportives on it this year, a few centuries, used it to ride my 20 mile round trip commute in all weather, overall around 6000 miles and it's had absolutely no troubles. Even being hit side on by a blind motorist that folded the front wheel in half did absolutely no damage to the frame and forks (maybe more luck than anything!). I have changed the wheels, finishing kit and cockpit on it and I've got the weight down to around 7kgs (without pedals, bottle cages and Garmin mount) so it's even light with the right kit.

I'll end now before I start sounding like a P-X salesman, but I genuinely think I got the best bike available at the price range. The only other ones I'd recommend looking at are Canyon.

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a Pro Carbon SRAM Rival 10 speed Wifli earlier in the year for £999, and it's been a dream, so for £799 it's even more of a bargain!
Looks super slick (in Matte Black) and been impressed with the Rival groupset!

Go for it! Such good value for money!

I take it this is a pre built option, rather than one you can customise etc?

AWP | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use one for a winter bike and am always impressed the first time I get on it after putting my summer bike away.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Out of interest, what exactly makes the frame old fashioned?

Mombee | 9 years ago
0 likes

For anyone looking for their first foray into carbon (on a budget) or for a fast winter 'second' bike, that's a bargain. It may not be 2015 technology and some will take issue with a mass-produced Far East frame, but it's still not bad.

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My 2002 Pinarello is very 'old fashioned' too. But it rides like a dream. So I dont give a flying ... fig if it is considered old fashioned or not.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's a very old fashioned frame now.

Welsh boy replied to matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

It's a very old fashioned frame now.

But they still get very good reviews from a lot of happy users.

Latest Comments