Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Creaky colnago c60 noise

Wasn't expecting to hear such a nasty sounding creaking noise on my colnago c60, sounds like its coming from the bottom bracket under load possibly, only seems to do it in the small ring at the front, and the 3 biggest cogs in the cassette. Only had it 2 weeks, set off on a big ride today and it sounded so bad I turned back, rode through a small section of mud and then the noise just got worse, I've washed and cleaned the bike just in case it was the mud or some grit but its still there http://youtu.be/MwcNr_G_X7I

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

vinner | 9 years ago
0 likes

As someone else mentioned, try tightening your chain-ring bolts

David Arthur @d... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried taking it back to the shop you bought it from? that's the first thing I'd be doing personally

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's probably your rear wheel, either you didn't tighten the cassette lockring enough or the hub preload is loose, or - most likely - you've got some shit external cam skewers that aren't tight enough.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dip the complete bike in a vat of gearbox oil, wipe off the rims and tyres, silencio.......

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lube the seat where the metal stays join the plastic upper. Often squeak like a nightmare and you can't work it out.

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its a common problem with C60s. Dodgy Italian rubbish really, I'd get a good ole' Merkin bike made out of metal if I were you, something like a CAAD 8.

I'll save you the bother of getting rid of the C60 if you like? Tell you what, I'll even come and pick it up for only the petrol money.  16

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

So you have a creaky C60 which you also need advice on for a wheelset and a V1R which you need advice on a cockpit for.....

Something here is awry.

As an aside I live near you so can reccomend a good mechanic to help you out and give you some tips. haven't seen any C60s or VR1s round our way yet so I'll keep an eye out for you.  3

pants | 9 years ago
0 likes

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/angryasian-the-ultimate-creak...

great article on creaky BBs. Good to see someone saying it as it is, everyone knows about how many alloy cannondale have creaky BBs, yet if you look for reviews the vast majority of bike websites or magazines never mention it.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

pressfit bottom bracket .... Now there's yer problem .....  4

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

As you get older, your hearing will deteriorate and I think you'll find that your bikes get quieter...  3

dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

You wouldn't believe it but I walk down that exact street everyday! Seriously weird stuff, and yes I'm MR. UNLUCKY.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

You must be Unlucky Alf then.

//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Unlucky-Alf.JPG)

dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

Appreciate the advice but your so wrong, I've been cycling many years and had lots of entry level bikes and worked my way up to the creaky/clicking/ticking garbage I've got now. I'm not one of these people that over wash there bikes at all, too much hassle.  35

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's actually spelled miaow.

pants replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

It's actually spelled miaow.

said who? a cat?

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Meaowwww

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

It must be nice to have a whisper quiet bike with just general "bike noise" like everyone else seems to have

You're either very, very unlucky or a ham fisted spanner monkey.

You are buying extremely expensive stuff, Pro-tour, top of the range kit and yet constantly finding fault with it. Most people work their way up, learning about how it all works, learning about how it goes together and learning how where and why things are noisy, then fixing it.

As noted elsewhere, I don't think the bike is the problem.

A top tip; stop washing your bikes every time they squeak; they aren't squeaking because they need a wash.

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

TBH it could be anything! it took me months but i found that on my bike one of the female chainring bolts was causing the creak. Put a little copperslip on the bolt where it sits in the chainring and quiet.

Sidi 700c replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yup.

Take stuff apart and grease them where applicable to find the culprit.

dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes I've oiled the spokes on the zipp wheels, did precisely nothing, I've moved on from that fiasco, I've got lots more videos if your that interested? Maybe I'll have to try a £300 bike from halfords next, surely its entertaining reading about my misfortune with expensive stuff on here? It must be nice to have a whisper quiet bike with just general "bike noise" like everyone else seems to have.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you spend all your time listening for weird noises from the latest bit of expensive kit that you've bought? You've got 8 videos on youtube, all purporting to show some strange sound or other, and it's beginning to be a bit odd.

Did you oil the spokes on your wheels?

Latest Comments