Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Titanium Racer

hey all

I'm looking for a titanium bike that can be my one and all.

Ideally something fast and nimble but comfortable enough that i can enjoy just going out for a ride day after day.

Im happy to spend a bit of money on it so it looks and feels classic and have a bit of longevity - im thinking of it as more of an investment rather than a constant spiral of a new carbon bike with terrible paint and design. (I have a carbon bike that i race before the haters step in).

I have found a few that i like, namely the Van Nich Aquilo and the Enigma Esprit. These two are in my budget of 3000 ish (thank god for the cycle to work scheme!) and i would build them up rather than off the shelf.

I have searched for others but I dont know much about geometry to know what each frames best use is and the above seem very different. I do like the look of Mosaic but they are out of the price bracket.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these two bikes?

thanks for your help

Oli

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with 'cheap' Chinese titanium - all but at most 2 of the frames listed above come from a factory in Taiwan/China (including 'stock' Enigmas). I've just bought my sixth custom build direct (5" fatbike) - never experienced any problems, or failures. I have seen quite a few 'premium' titanium frames break - mainly due to poor quality construction leading to accelerated fatigue failure.

iamalex | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an Enigma Esprit, really enjoy it. Certainly worth a look. Sometimes I think I 'need' something a bit stiffer but it's not really an issue. It comes across as character rather than a problem. Silky smooth ride and with a good set of wheels it's stood up to some pretty testing rides.

Other than a single speed for getting knocked-off/crashed into during my London commute, it's the only bike I need.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111955&sid=...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/14562527970_eb4617cbf6_c.jpg

However... Cadance Performance in Crystal Palace, London had some half price Legend Titanium framesets a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth a call.

kingbucko75 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Van Nicholas Aquilo this summer following an insurance payout after a few bikes got nicked. I looked at the Enigma Equinox but couldn't find a bike to look at in the flesh other than their factory in Sussex. In the end i saw the Aquilo and loved how it looked so opted for that. I built it up with Ultegra 11 speed, 3T finishing kit and some FFWD carbon/alloy clinchers and it rides like an absolute dream. Its heavier than my last carbon bike (Cube Agree) but my Strava times were up everywhere so I think the 1 kg difference is negligible. Its quite stiff for a Ti frame but doesn't rattle my fillings like the carbon bike did on dodgy road surfaces. I reckon you could price a build for 3 grand easily (mine was around 4) with a lower groupset and cheaper wheels. I can't speak for the other brands but I sure there are lots of good Ti bikes out there. Yes, some welds may fail but I've had mates whose carbon frames have cracked and Al bikes that welds have gone. Just make sure the warranty is decent...I think Van Nicholas have a lifetime warranty for manufacturing defects and will replace it (not repair it)

vorsprung | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a titanium bike. The company that made it went broke and I got it welded up again

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/it-was-dead-but/

Titanium failures are not uncommon. If you get one either get a really cheap one from china and plan to replace it or get a really expensive one from a trust worthy outfit and expect some warrantee replacements

Don't be suckered into the myth that titanium is stronger and more durable than anything else. It is a great material, better ride than steel, light, no rust but welding it seems to be less of an understood process than welding steel.

It's difficult to assess what type of bike is the most durable: carbon would last the longest but surface scratches and wear eventually weaken them. Steel would be good but it rusts. Titaniums Achilles heel seems to be random manufacturing defects

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Since no thread on bike choice would be the same without some lame and pointless comment on aesthetics, and since Ti bikes aren't painted (so the "everything's stealth black these days" and "ooooh, I don't like that paint job" comments are moot), can I just say that I really don't like the Van Nicholas logo?

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

@Bobbydazzler - yes, I just put my back out looking at it properly!

bobbydazzler | 9 years ago
0 likes

And a picture! Well, was going to be a picture but is upside-down! Anyone know how to turn it around???  2

bobbydazzler | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had an Enigma Esprit for the last 2 1/2 years, and it's fantastic. I've had various other bikes alongside it [Genesis Equilibrium - what a ride, but much heavier and not as agile, Boardman 9.8 SLR - slightly quicker, a bit stiffer, but felt much more 'serious'], and this wins every time for the smile it puts on my face. It's just very very quick while feeling completely alive. And the classic looks and Ti 'colour' still makes me want to look at it all the time.

I built it up myself too. With SRAM Rival, Easton EC90 forks, Pro-Lite Bracciano's, Lynskey Ti seatpost, Schwalbe Ultremos, Spin Ti headset and the rest of the finishing kit it came it at 7.2kg exc. pedals and cages, and well within £3k. I've now got Columbus minimal forks - light but I'd say a bit flexy. I'm keen to get an Enve 2.0 fork to give it more stiffness.

If I did it again? Maybe Campag or Ultegra, but definitely all black wheels like Mavic Ksyrium SLR's. I had a pair of H Plus Son handbuilts and they looked incredible until the brake track anodising wore away.

Hope that helps  1

bjornalkema | 9 years ago
0 likes

my choice would be... Gilbertson Titanium Bikes  16

bjornalkema | 9 years ago
0 likes

my choice would be... http://www.gilbertson.nl/

rch30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Moots Compact SL in August it has transformed my cycling in comfort, enjoyment and improvement in performance. Google Moots and have a look at some of the links to find out more about the light weight a build quality.

trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I also had the same requirements as you and after a long hard research I found my Sabbath September Ti.
What a machine, light, fast, extremely comfortable and really good looking - could ride her all day. It was able to take full mudguards and 25mm tyres.
Oh, she was a brilliant bike,,,,,,,,,,,,, and then I regretfully sold it in a 'fit of madness'.  17 Regretted her sale ever since.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well firstly, have you seen the reviews for the Aquilo and Spitfire?

http://road.cc/content/review/61298-van-nicholas-aquilo
http://road.cc/content/review/40913-spin-spitfire-mk-iii-supermarine

However, this cropped up in another thread recently:
http://cielorossobikes.com/cielo-rosso-custom-built-titanium-frames-601-...
Now at £700 it would probably be under your radar, but given that it's a full custom Ti frame from a British firm (although manufactured in the far east) and they look classy, I wouldn't write it off. If I recall correctly, Simmo72 on here has one and loves it. You could try PMing him. If it worked out, you would be left with funds for some serious parts...!

Hugor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thats a nice budget to have!!!

I have a titanium Guru Praemio which I'm very happy with.

//www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=301772&d=1415185114)

I'm also a massive fan of Enigma bikes and would love to own a Evoke Disc.

At the upper end of your range would also be a Legend Prince or ILRe. Stunning bikes.
Any Legend bike is in a class of its own.

http://www.legendfactory.it/eng/ilre.php

james24575 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Take a look at Qoroz.

Drop them a line, the sales/after sales support is 2nd to none.

http://www.qoroz.com/race-won/

I built this below 6 months ago and i love it.

Shimano 6800 complete
Mavic open pro's on CK r45's
Ritchy bars and stem

it's 16.5lb

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis do at least one Titanium frame I believe. Would definitely be on my shortlist.

700c replied to Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Kinesis do at least one Titanium frame I believe. Would definitely be on my shortlist.

+1 this is what I ride - Kinesis granfondo (v1). I believe the v2 is even better. the only change I make throughout the year is to put winter/ summer wheels on and it's good for an all-purpose machine. Rigid, fast, comfortable. Plus their customer service is exceptional. 5 year warranty is provided

I recall that there was a recent test of Ti bikes on bikeradar/ cycling plus and the conclusion was that they can be made to suit a variety of purposes - so don't assume all will be comfortable, flexible, or suitable for touring etc. The Kinesis came out top I believe, in as much as you can compare apples and oranges!

In terms of using to race, you will usually sacrifice a little weight vs equivalently- priced carbon machine, but nothing that can't be overcome with speccing some decent components. My bike (size  30 fully equipped comes in a little under 8 kilo's. Some from different manufacturers could well be lighter

tomisitt | 9 years ago
0 likes

You might look at a Spin Spitfire MkIII. I had pretty much the same criteria as you, and wanted something other than the (clearly very good) Van Nics and Enigmas. I built it up with 11-speed Chorus and Archetype rims on R45 hubs, and it's a peach. I've ridden the Roubaix cobbles, the Tour of Flanders climbs, the Alpe d'Huez and the Stelvio on it (as well as a couple of thousand miles a year), and I absolutely love it. Still puts a stupid grin on my face three years down the line.

Flying Scot replied to tomisitt | 9 years ago
0 likes
tomisitt wrote:

You might look at a Spin Spitfire MkIII. I had pretty much the same criteria as you, and wanted something other than the (clearly very good) Van Nics and Enigmas. I built it up with 11-speed Chorus and Archetype rims on R45 hubs, and it's a peach. I've ridden the Roubaix cobbles, the Tour of Flanders climbs, the Alpe d'Huez and the Stelvio on it (as well as a couple of thousand miles a year), and I absolutely love it. Still puts a stupid grin on my face three years down the line.

Nice machine and classy build.

olioneill123 replied to tomisitt | 9 years ago
0 likes

The spin looks beautiful, I can't seem to find out much about them though.

I have a 3000 budget all in, so this might push it over...

I think you are all right on the cycle to work, I plan to get 1000 from work and pay for the rest, just hoping on bonus now!

NickK123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an Enigma Equinox and cannot fault it; it certainly hits the spot in terms of a balance between comfort and a club do-it-all machine. It is very sprightly - both in terms of acceleration and steering. It is fitted with Athena and Mavic Elites. It makes me smile every time I ride it.

I support the comment re the cycle to work scheme and max of £1K.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Moots has a new do-it-all CX-like frame out? Not too racy, but may work and within budget if you meant £3k for frame.

Sadoldsamurai replied to jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes
jacknorell wrote:

Moots has a new do-it-all CX-like frame out? Not too racy, but may work and within budget if you meant £3k for frame.

Yep..it's now at least three months since I saw one, tricked out with nice red Chris K. hubs BB etc and those hydrolic/cable mix disk brakes.. I still dream about it!
Seriously tho.. if we sell the house..that will be my one and only bike, replacing the Croix de Fe. and my hard tail and full susser...
(but I'll be getting a Jones Ti. framed fat wheeler..as my second bike)  38

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a lovely VN Aquilo as well as an older Euros (not made any more) Both are fantastic bikes. I love the classic looks of titanium and the fact that it stands out in amongst all that carbon. I've tried a few carbon bikes but none of them have made me smile like these two.

Heres my Aquilo :

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

A budget of "3000ish" as you suggest isn't possible on cycle to work if I recall correctly. There is a maximum spend of 1k, the rules don't allow you to spend over this and only put the first 1k on cycle to work either.

I've found if you are on good terms with your LBS they will sometimes 'edit' the receipt to get you around this limit, but worth noting in case you were not aware. Also, yet another reason to become good friends with your local bike shop.

Leeroy_Silk replied to giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes
giobox wrote:

A budget of "3000ish" as you suggest isn't possible on cycle to work if I recall correctly. There is a maximum spend of 1k, the rules don't allow you to spend over this and only put the first 1k on cycle to work either.

I've found if you are on good terms with your LBS they will sometimes 'edit' the receipt to get you around this limit, but worth noting in case you were not aware. Also, yet another reason to become good friends with your local bike shop.

The budget or credit limit is variable depending on the company, it's usually £1,000 but some lucky buggers get to play with up to £5,000! I think FlyBe are one such company. My limit was £1,000 but my LBS wrote the quote for £1,000 with the balance to be paid by me. No probs.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't have the Aquilo but I do have a Van Nic Chinook and it certainly fits the bill for classic looks, longevity, speed, nimble handling and all day comfort. I built mine with Campag Centaur and Zondas. I can't fault it at all, it rides like a dream. I love it so much that I just don't have n+1 in mind.

olioneill123 replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes

great to know, thanks very much, thats the kind of build im thinking of too...

no n+1, thats an interesting concept!

im finding Aquilos are hard to test ride but i might sling a leg over a Chinook and see how it feels.

cheers!

Latest Comments