Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear brake a casualty of the winter?

So having cleaned my commuter for the first time in ages (and since it was covered in road salt in the last few months) my rear brake has decided it doesn't want to 'spring back' off the rim after the lever is pressed.

Also the brake lever doesn't come back (flat bars) and when you manually push it back to where it should be the cable outer moves.

Is it time for a new cable/outer?
(I've tried working a bit of oil/grease down the cable outer to lubricate the cable movement)

Is there also something wrong with the spring tension in the rear caliper if it isn't 'springing' back?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

My bike has developed the same problem this week....

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Some brake cables are stainless. I try to use them, having suffered from this problem many times.

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

Think it might be a bit of both...glad I knew the reason why, just need to find some a gap to spend some 'quality time' with my bike.  3

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like youve identified the problem, rusty cable. You could pull the inner out, give the outer a good blast with GT85 and refit the inner with generous helpings of waterproof grease... but a new outer/inner is only a few£ at a bikeshop. Oh, and your brake should 'spring back' if that is the problem, if it dosnt then that might need stripped/cleaned/lubed too.

Latest Comments