Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hidden Comments on Product Reviews

Hi,

Can someone please explain why my posted comments only show up when I am logged-in? Looks like someone decided to hide my posts so that no one else can see them. Can you either fix this issue, or delete my account as there is no point in me having an account if I am unable to contribute to topics. Thank you.

Regards

Nic

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Velopeo, you posted about pages loading quicker, nothing about comments being hidden  39

hdb, even this topic has hidden comments, that is possibly from users who have been muted for various reasons, but they still continue to post, even though no-one but the original poster will see their posts (via email)

nbrus replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Velopeo, you posted about pages loading quicker, nothing about comments being hidden  39

hdb, even this topic has hidden comments, that is possibly from users who have been muted for various reasons, but they still continue to post, even though no-one but the original poster will see their posts (via email)

Gkam84, Ok, so you are now admitting to hiding (you use the term 'muted') all comments a user makes just because you don't agree with some of them ... can you please either refrain from this practice or delete my account as it makes no sense to me whatsoever to be misled in such a devious way, and there is no point in being a member if I am unable to have my opinion heard.  19

If you delete all my posts, no one will even notice, except me. Thank you.

All the best.

Nic

hdb replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Thanks - that explains it.

hdb | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have noticed that articles (not just product reviews) will be shown as having comments but when I go to the article, no comments are seen. I've only recently set up an account so all of my views until last week would have been unauthenticated. Is there some filtering applied to comments based on viewer status?

nbrus replied to hdb | 9 years ago
0 likes
hdb wrote:

I have noticed that articles (not just product reviews) will be shown as having comments but when I go to the article, no comments are seen. I've only recently set up an account so all of my views until last week would have been unauthenticated. Is there some filtering applied to comments based on viewer status?

I suspect that posts from new members are being deliberately hidden from view until they have passed a probation period. This avoids any contentious posts being made without taking up lots of administration time monitoring comments.

The fact that Gkam84 mentioned the content of my previous posts (something totally unrelated to the issue raised - hidden posts) would lead me to believe that my posts may have been deliberately hidden in a stealthy way (I can still see them when logged in, but no one else can).

VeloPeo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gkam - only thing that's not really helpful here is your snarky response. Just because you don't like the user's views, there's n need to dismiss the issue out of hand.

I've posted about this issue before - seems it's still going on
http://road.cc/content/forum/119149-tip-using-roadcc

PS: Dropbox links I reference in that post no longer work as I must have deleted the screenshots

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok, just did a quick search, opened the first 5 reviews that you had made comments in that came up.

All pretty much saying the same thing, no matter the product.....To expensive, the reviewed may be biased, you can get the same thing for x amount and it is better.....none of it that is helpful to anyone viewing the review in my opinion.

It actually to me, makes you look like you go round some reviews and have a pop at the items price. I may be wrong.

I also logged out and checked, I could see all those comments.

nbrus replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Ok, just did a quick search, opened the first 5 reviews that you had made comments in that came up.

All pretty much saying the same thing, no matter the product.....To expensive, the reviewed may be biased, you can get the same thing for x amount and it is better.....none of it that is helpful to anyone viewing the review in my opinion.

It actually to me, makes you look like you go round some reviews and have a pop at the items price. I may be wrong.

I also logged out and checked, I could see all those comments.

Hi Gkam84,

You are right in that if I believe an item is overpriced I will say so, but just because I am critical of reviews doesn't mean I am unjustified in my opinion, or that my opinion isn't valid.

You will notice that any recent posts I make are far more laid back, mainly due to the fact that the reviewers are being more realistic with the reviews ... something we all like to see. I get offended when reviews are overly biased as I may make purchasing decisions based on reviews, and so do not appreciate reviews that lead me to buy a product that isn't the best choice for me.

Honesty, not relationships with advertisers, should come through very clearly in any review ... and road.cc is getting better in this respect, hence I have not posted any comments of the type you refer to for quite some time now. Keep up the good work.  1

Nic

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Which review are you thinking this might happen on? So I can go check it logged in and out

Latest Comments