Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

genesis owners - frame size

i took the plunge and ordered a new equilibrium disc last friday in 56!
unfortunately i received a call saying that they are now out of stock in 56 until jan/feb next year, so i've changed my order to a 58 to try out...
for current genesis owners, how are their frames on sizing? is it likely that i'll get away with a slightly larger frame?
the 58 top tube length is 9mm longer with a 10mm longer stem. would a slightly shorter stem be an option if it feels too streched out? or would it effect handling too much?

cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6'1" and ride a Genesis Volant in 56. I have short legs for my height so it's more or less spot on for me - a nice comfortable ride over long distances.

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

I went for the 58.
I took a mate with me (thanks matt!) for a second opinion and on the advice of the shop staff.
bike feels right - standover height is taller than my allez, but that was going to be the case with most bikes as the allez has a sloped top tube.
about to go out for a first ride - wet and rainy so perfect conditions check out the discs!

AAN | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Genesis for about nine months. I expected to need a 54 but tried a 56 and it was, and is, a great fit. I'm 5'10" and have short (approx 30") legs. Plenty of seat post exposed an the setup looks good.
On the face of it a 56 would seem pretty small for you.

Gman59c | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Genesis Equilibrium in the summer. I too deliberated over size for a couple of weeks. My carbon bike is a size 56 with a TT of 565mm. After reading many Genesis forums I plumped for the 58 Genesis, the top tube as said above is 567mm, so next to no difference. I built it up with a 110mm stem.

Really happy with the 58, my mate says of all my bikes it looks the best fit. I am just over 6'1". Also my brother in law took on spin on it the other week, he is 5'11" and said he found it comfortable.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5ft 10 and normally ride 56's - my three road bikes range between 560 - 570 top tube.

If you're over 6ft, I'd say 58 should be fine surely?

And I also use 44cm bars. Not at all a bit wide.

(But then I have had 20 years previously on a mountain bike!)

Brown dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

Noticed you live in Leicester ......... Give lovevelo a ring in derby 01332 295934
Had my equilibrium built and fitted by him. I took my old bike to his shop he took some measurements and made some changes to my current set up, different stem etc

I then specified frame colour groupe set, wheels , bars and seat .... He then built the bike from the frame up .

I ended up with a hand built bike fitted for less than RRP price and fantastic service

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

A 56cm Allez has a 565mm effective top tube, so almost exactly the same. genesis don't publish stack and reach for their bikes unfortunately, which are the two measurements that are most directly comparable.

you might find the 44cm bars a bit wide, mind

bigshape replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

A 56cm Allez has a 565mm effective top tube, so almost exactly the same. genesis don't publish stack and reach for their bikes unfortunately, which are the two measurements that are most directly comparable.

you might find the 44cm bars a bit wide, mind

equilibrium 58 from the genesis site;
reach - 396
stack - 575

allez 2013 56
reach - 395
stack - 574

fingers crossed I might be ok!!!

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

genesis frames aren't long in the top tube. So a 58cm equilibrium actually has a 567mm top tube and for that reason you could more accurately describe it as a 57cm, as the top tube measurement has much more bearing on fit than the length of the seat tube.

best to check the top tube length of the bike/s you normally ride to see how they compare. In my experience, genesis road frames size up on the small side. swapping out the 120mm stem for a 110mm one isn't going to do any harm.

bigshape replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

genesis frames aren't long in the top tube. So a 58cm equilibrium actually has a 567mm top tube and for that reason you could more accurately describe it as a 57cm, as the top tube measurement has much more bearing on fit than the length of the seat tube.

best to check the top tube length of the bike/s you normally ride to see how they compare. In my experience, genesis road frames size up on the small side. swapping out the 120mm stem for a 110mm one isn't going to do any harm.

cheers, that sounds a bit more positive! all hope is not lost on my dream bike!

Rod Marton | 9 years ago
0 likes

At a shade under 6 foot I ride a 56cm Genesis and it fits me perfectly (though I was careful to choose a size with measurements/geometry almost the same as my previous bike). The 58cm didn't. However I prefer a slightly short top tube. Whether the 58cm is suitable for you is something only you can tell, it depends very much on your position on the bike. Reducing the stem length will make the steering a bit more sensitive, but it's a matter of personal choice how you like it. Handling on the supplied stem length is excellent, so it may well be perfectly acceptable with a shorter stem, but it's a personal preference.

bigshape replied to Rod Marton | 9 years ago
0 likes
Rod Marton wrote:

At a shade under 6 foot I ride a 56cm Genesis and it fits me perfectly (though I was careful to choose a size with measurements/geometry almost the same as my previous bike). The 58cm didn't. However I prefer a slightly short top tube. Whether the 58cm is suitable for you is something only you can tell, it depends very much on your position on the bike. Reducing the stem length will make the steering a bit more sensitive, but it's a matter of personal choice how you like it. Handling on the supplied stem length is excellent, so it may well be perfectly acceptable with a shorter stem, but it's a personal preference.

cheers, Rod.

i'm also just shy of 6' tall with around (32 1/2" inseam)
i am expecting it to be too big, but have kind of got my heart set on that particular bike as it ticks all the boxes on my wishlist.
the problem is that i'm getting it from evans using their bike to work scheme and the voucher (which i have already) is only valid for 3 months...

i currently ride an allez in 56 but can't find the geometry chart to compare the two directly...

Sniffer | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough. Good luck with new bike when you make your choice.

Sniffer | 9 years ago
0 likes

Buy the bike that fits you, not the one on special offer - or in this case the one available now.

If a 58 is right for you OK, but if it is really a 56 that is right for you then don't do it.

bigshape replied to Sniffer | 9 years ago
0 likes
Sniffer wrote:

Buy the bike that fits you, not the one on special offer - or in this case the one available now.

If a 58 is right for you OK, but if it is really a 56 that is right for you then don't do it.

thanks, i'm just after an idea if it'll be too big based on peoples previous experience of genesis sizing - have people gone to buy a 56 and ended up buying a 58 etc.

don't worry, i'm not going to buy it if it's too big  3

Latest Comments